PDA

View Full Version : Potassium Salt

Khar
08-28-2003, 08:53 AM
Is potassium salt (NoSalt) a good alternative to regular salt? Does it cause water retention?

eatdirt40
08-28-2003, 08:53 AM
i believe potassion is no salt

bradley
08-28-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Khar
Is potassium salt (NoSalt) a good alternative to regular salt? Does it cause water retention?

Potassium chloride can be used as a salt substitute, and you should not have any problems unless you have pre-existing kidney condition, or are taking certain medications that can cause the kidneys to retain potassium (heart medicine, blood pressure medicine, etc.).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2689836&dopt=Abstract

I am unsure as to whether potassium chloride would cause water retention, but the potassium should have a negative effect on water retention, although this might not hold true beceause of the fact that it is bonded to chlorine.

You could also try something like Morton's Lite salt, which contains a blend of sodium chloride and potassium chloride.:)

raniali
08-28-2003, 08:24 PM
i rarely "salt" anything and i use potassium salt pretty much all the time i want to "salt" something (unless i am baking because real salt performs differently in baked goods). i drink a ton of water daily and don't notice water retention from it. i don't eat a lot of fruit typically and prefer this source of potassium - esp when i start getting muscle tics.

Scott S
08-28-2003, 08:56 PM
It's been a long time since I heard anything about potassium salt. Does it really help with blood pressure?