PDA

View Full Version : How much protein

jock227
08-28-2003, 11:23 AM
I've been training for about 2 years and am realizing now I need to clean up my diet. When I started I was 5'9 142 and have gone up to 175. However, after the excitement of poundage wore off, I realized I had some fat covering much of the muscle I'd gained.
Now, I'd always been a hard gainer so my calories have inched up to around 2900-3000 a day. My only real activity is lifting 3 days a week in a program that changes but is close to the ones listed here. I am trying to shed off some fat but keep my muscle growth coming. Around how many grams of protein a day would you suggest..

Wikked1
08-28-2003, 11:45 AM
This is what I call the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM.....Most experts suggest 1.5 grams/per pound of body weight.It's very tough to burn fat and grow muscle at the same time. (not saying it can't be done just that I don't know anyone personally who has done it)....and I assume we're talking only about training without the use of gear (which can change everything)....my best honest suggestion is to incorporate some cardio on your off training days......this should help get your metabolism going.....
YES I am old school I believe you are in 1 of 3 states at all times...
#1 Eating surplus calories for growth
#2 Eating below maintenance to lose
#3 Eating to maintain......I've seen very few people who can truly "grow" on a calorie deficit ....OK let me rephrase that I HAVEN'T seen ANYONE do it.