PDA

View Full Version : Starting Weight Training

Shay
08-31-2001, 07:30 AM
Alright, well I am 15 right now and started weight traning 3 weeks ago. I am pretty fat at 200 pounds 5'10 (played football). I have started a low carb diet (maybe 20 grams a day). I was actually 210 a week ago. Now I want to drop to maybe 165-175 since I want enough fat to lift more.

My excercise routine is as follows.

Monday - 1 hr 15 m weight traning.
Bench press: 5 reps of 5 at 50% - add - add - add - add
Squat: 5 reps of 5 same as bench.
Leg press: Same as Bench
Arm Curl: 30 pounds 3 sets of 12
Leg Curl: 3 sets of 12
Leg Extension: 3 sets of 12
Nosebreakers: 3 sets of 12
High Pulley: 3 sets of 12.
Crunches: 3 sets of 25

Tuesday: Run 1/2 mile, walk 1/2 mile. (takes around 10 minutes)
Jump Rope: 15 mins
Feet excercises (dot thingy): 15 mins
BasketBall: 15 mins

Wednesday:
Same as Monday except I add a few excercises (don't know the names)

Thursday: Same as Tuesday

Friday: Same as Monday

Saturday: Same as Tuesday

Sunday: rest

I eat maybe 200% of daily protein intake a day, but with the diet almost no carbs. Is this safe for me? How much muscle mass weight do you think I will gain per week? Am I losing too much weight? I drink around 6-10 glasses of water a day. I get a lot of Sodium as well from Diet Cola. Should I do more cardio? Any suggestions?

All help is appreciated, thanks.

Tryska
08-31-2001, 07:35 AM
mmm..if you are not eating carbs...what is your fat intake like?

Shay
08-31-2001, 07:56 AM
Hmm... I would say atleast 85 grams a day. Maximum of 125. What should it be?

Tryska
08-31-2001, 08:01 AM
well if carbs are that low, your pretty much doing a ketogenic diet. You will need more dietary fat so that your body can make fuel out of it. I think what you have now maybe a little low....but I will leave it to the Keto experts on how much exactly you need to have.

syntekz
08-31-2001, 08:40 AM
I'm not the expert on diet that I wish I was, but I've got some suggestions for your training schedule:

Seems like instead of doing a 3 split ( train, train, rest ).
I would do something like train, rest, train, rest, train

Your monday routine seems like way too much. You're training two huge body parts on the same day. ( Legs and Chest ). Probably not the best idea. And you're planning on doing this twice a week. If you're training hard enough; I doubt you will be able to do all of these things twice a week.

***I did squats on Monday, it's now Friday and I'm still sore***

Don't know where I'm going with this; but I suggest cutting down your workout and rearranging it. Too much volume; and your missing out on some body parts.

Shay
08-31-2001, 09:03 AM
Well that brings up other things... When I first started I ached for 3-4 days from an excercise. I haven't felt sore at all since Monday except for when I did lunges. I did lunges monday and they hurt till yesterday... Am I not doing enough wait since I barely feel sore? I mean I am not feeling any pain really, maybe a little muscle pain when I twist my arms or flex my legs. Should I add more weight than what I am doing? And what do you mean train - rest - train - rest? Instead of train - train - rest? I am weight traning 3 days and cardio 3 days. Resting one day, so you confused me a bit there.

Chris Rodgers
08-31-2001, 09:26 AM
I would post the training part of your routine in tthe training section. It needs adjustments.

Cackerot69
08-31-2001, 10:28 AM
So you're eating less than 20g of carbs, low fat and high protein to gain muscle? That ain't gonna work.

Add carbs and fat. Start with 250 protein, 200 carbs and 70 fat. If you gain then stick with it, if not then add 500 calories, if you still don't then add 500 calories and so on....

Shay
08-31-2001, 10:36 AM
I am not trying to gain wait, I am trying to lose wait. Then build muscle. If I don't build muscle until I eat carbs thats fine.

Jane
08-31-2001, 10:38 AM
Ok, I could be way off here, so someone comment on this, but I was pretty sure you can't lose fat and get muscle at the same time. So if you're losing weight, you are in a calorie deficit, and in order to gain muscle, you need extra calories. It seems like right now you are working on a calorie deficit diet, trying to preserve max muscle mass while losing weight. Therefore, your question of how much muscle mass am i gaining, confused me.

Tryska
08-31-2001, 10:38 AM
what he';s saying shay, is that with the current diet you've got, you are gonna wind up burning muscles for feul. and that doesn't make sense.

i think if you start with his macro breakdown, and make sure you are in calorie deficit, you will be a lot more successful.

Cackerot69
08-31-2001, 10:40 AM
With that diet, below maintenance, your primary energy source is dietary protein and muscle.