PDA

View Full Version : power cleans

eatdirt40
08-28-2003, 08:06 PM
what muscles do power cleans give the most benifit to?

unshift
08-28-2003, 08:07 PM
all of them.

Blitzforce
08-29-2003, 04:40 AM
posterior chain, traps, forearms, calves, core, and some legs mostly.

That's assuming you use proper form :)
It's basicly like a very fast deadlift with a quarter squat catch at the top.

eatdirt40
08-29-2003, 03:23 PM
ok thanx because i want to start doin them to help out and improve my explosive power for baseball, any idea on what say i should do it in my split.... chest/back day, legs, shoulders/ triceps/ biceps day???

EdgarMex
08-29-2003, 03:30 PM
I recently started doing them. My current split is:
Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Back/bis
Wednesday - off
Thursday - Deads/powercleans/traps/calves
Friday - Chest/tris/delts
Saturday & Sunday - off

unshift
08-29-2003, 03:34 PM
my routine is:

monday - cleans/snatch/deadlift day
wednesday - cleans/snatch/bench day
friday - cleans/snatch/squat day

olympic lifts compose maybe 25% of my routine... if that helps any

and if you want true explosive power, make sure you do snatches too. it takes a lot more work and speed to get a weight overhead in one motion than in two.

Blitzforce
08-29-2003, 09:03 PM
I would do them with legs, preferable at the start of the workout

I find doing olys at the start of the workout makes eveyrthing feel much lighter.

john26
08-29-2003, 10:21 PM
i didn't do oly's until i started football.. i felt that the technical demand was too great to not have a coach, or atleast someone very experienced, watch

now i'm comfortable enough with them to do them on my own.. but the coaching at the start was a great help

eatdirt40
09-01-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by unshift
my routine is:

monday - cleans/snatch/deadlift day
wednesday - cleans/snatch/bench day
friday - cleans/snatch/squat day

olympic lifts compose maybe 25% of my routine... if that helps any

and if you want true explosive power, make sure you do snatches too. it takes a lot more work and speed to get a weight overhead in one motion than in two.

Hey what does snatch mean... what exercises are snatch... sorry guys im not formiliar with the vocab

unshift
09-02-2003, 08:21 AM
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/Snatch.html

start very light, with just the bar, and don't increase anything at all until you're 100% comfortable with it... and if you feel soreness in your shoulders the next day, you're doing it wrong.

Ed C.
09-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Cleans totally rape my traps when I do em. They're sore for a good 2 days.

eatdirt40
09-18-2003, 10:09 AM
i want to start doing them

unshift
09-18-2003, 01:41 PM
go for it then

Saint Patrick
10-18-2003, 08:36 PM
not that anyone gives a sh*t, but I think I might give these a try as well.

JNowiski
10-19-2003, 01:30 PM
I think o-lift benifit you more in everyday activities...or at least more than the bench press.

I can't do squat snatches yet, I can't go down, I've tried overhead squats, but I can't do them with any weight well.

IceRgrrl
10-24-2003, 09:05 AM
If you really want to learn Oly lifts and benefit from them, I would strongly advise finding an experienced and knowledgeable coach to work with. As john26 mentioned, these are highly technical lifts and you really need to learn the correct form and the finer points of the lift in order to do it properly and a) benefit from it, and b) not injure yourself.

That being said, Oly's are really neat lifts and are great whole body work/coordination for athletes. :)