PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What's everyone paying for thier fish oil?

dirty-c
08-29-2003, 06:58 AM
I did a great deal of research before buying my first bottle of fish oil caps. It was a 120count bottle for like $22 I think. Each capsule is about 1gm, so if I take the 6gm/day that I often see recommended, its gonna cost me over $1 a day just to use it. This seems a bit much to me.

I was just wondering what everybody is paying and if anyone has a good cheap source, please share! :)

bradley
08-29-2003, 01:27 PM
I think I pay $7 or so at Sam's for 300 1g caps, and they contain 180mg/120mg of EPA/DHA.

restless
08-29-2003, 01:39 PM
I pay 12 (about 11 dolars I think) for 330 ml of cod liver oil. It is higher in EPA/DHA than salmon oil, so it ends up being a good deal. It's a quality oil too.

dirty-c
08-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Maybe mine were expensive because of their potency. EPA/DHA and one other Omega 3 (cant remember its name) make up about 850mg of the 950mg capsule.

EdgarMex
08-29-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by bradley
I think I pay $7 or so at Sam's for 300 1g caps, and they contain 180mg/120mg of EPA/DHA.

Those are the ones I buy too. :)

bradley
08-29-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by dirty-c
Maybe mine were expensive because of their potency. EPA/DHA and one other Omega 3 (cant remember its name) make up about 850mg of the 950mg capsule.

I am sure that would be the main cause for the price difference.:)

Edgar-

Next time you go into Sam's you should check out the new extra strength n-3 caps. I have not had a chance to look at them yet, but I plan to check them out the next time I am over that way.:)

Dedicated
08-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Hmm maybe I should get a sam's card heh. I pay 10.52 plus tax at walmart for 250 1 gram caps that have 180mg/120mg of EPA/DHA.

EdgarMex
08-29-2003, 03:21 PM

I am sure that would be the main cause for the price difference.:)

Edgar-

Next time you go into Sam's you should check out the new extra strength n-3 caps. I have not had a chance to look at them yet, but I plan to check them out the next time I am over that way.:)

I think I saw those on the shelf when I picked my last bottle of FOCs but didn't pay much attention to them. I'll check them out next time. Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

bradley
08-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Dedicated
Hmm maybe I should get a sam's card heh. I pay 10.52 plus tax at walmart for 250 1 gram caps that have 180mg/120mg of EPA/DHA.

You can save a good bit of money buying in bulk, and if you have access to a Sam's or Costco I would recommend shopping there. If nothing else you can purchase your meats there and justify the cost of the membership.

EdgarMex
08-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but between Sam's and Costco, it one better than the other? the reason I'm asking is because they're building a Costco in El Paso and I already had a membership card at Sam's, so would it be worth it to get a membership at Costco too?

harryhoudini66
08-29-2003, 07:28 PM
Costco is much better.

dsade
08-31-2003, 03:34 AM
Costco all the way. I get the same fish oil - 300 for $7. I also love their frozen salmon packs.

Where are they sticking the new Costso? I spent 5 years stationed in El Paso.

dirty-c
09-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Looks like 180mg/120mg of EPA/DHA is pretty standard for a 1000mg capsule. What then is the other 700mg composed of?

EdgarMex
09-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by dsade
Costco all the way. I get the same fish oil - 300 for $7. I also love their frozen salmon packs.

Where are they sticking the new Costso? I spent 5 years stationed in El Paso.

They're building it at Bassett Center

SquareHead
09-02-2003, 03:29 PM
I pay 10.99 for 120 softgel caps. That from GNC though so I am sure there are much better deals. As seen above.

bradley
09-03-2003, 05:38 AM
Looks like 180mg/120mg of EPA/DHA is pretty standard for a 1000mg capsule. What then is the other 700mg composed of?

Saturated and monounsaturated fats would make up the 700mg.

dirty-c
09-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Here's a link to the stuff I use:
http://www11.netrition.com/pbl_pure_omega3_page.html
It seems its main selling point is more than double the potency of what most capsules are. So, as long as I'm willing to sacrafice a little potency and take in some extra saturated and monounsaturated fats, I can probably save money by taking more total capsules of a less potent and less expensive capsule, while still getting the same amount of total EPA/DHA. This sound about right?

fuzz
09-03-2003, 08:38 AM
I used to buy at Sam's, but I noticed as I got near the end of the bottles the fish burps would get worse. So it seemed as they were getting bad, and I don't like the idea of eating rancid oil. Now I buy 100 count bottles from Sundown at the local supermarket for 7 bucks or so. I also get the Now brand, which is a good deal also.

I figure the added cost is worth getting fresh/better quality caps.

JustinF
09-03-2003, 08:44 AM

Exactly what I get. Same price too, at BJ's.

bradley
09-03-2003, 10:07 AM
Here's a link to the stuff I use:
http://www11.netrition.com/pbl_pure_omega3_page.html
It seems its main selling point is more than double the potency of what most capsules are. So, as long as I'm willing to sacrafice a little potency and take in some extra saturated and monounsaturated fats, I can probably save money by taking more total capsules of a less potent and less expensive capsule, while still getting the same amount of total EPA/DHA. This sound about right?

Yes

bradley
09-03-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by fuzz
I used to buy at Sam's, but I noticed as I got near the end of the bottles the fish burps would get worse. So it seemed as they were getting bad, and I don't like the idea of eating rancid oil. Now I buy 100 count bottles from Sundown at the local supermarket for 7 bucks or so. I also get the Now brand, which is a good deal also.

I haven't noticed what you mentioned above, but you make a good point. How long were the bottles lasting you?

Sam's also carries the enteric coated caps, which are marketed as odor controlled. I have also noticed extra strength fish oil as well.

QuantumReality
09-03-2003, 10:25 AM
I keep mine in the fridge set aroung 36 deg and they keep for months. Just checked out Sam's this weekend. I was nervous buying 300 since the last bottle of 180 I got online was rancid from the beginning. No nasty burps so far.

EdgarMex
09-03-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by fuzz

I never noticed that, but since I started keeping them in the fridge the nasty burps were reduce considerably. What still happens some times is that when I burp a cap will come back up. I don't think there's anything worst than that.

dirty-c
09-03-2003, 01:42 PM
I've never experienced these burbs to which a lot of people seem to refer, are they REALLY that common? Is it worth paying a few more bucks a month to avoid?

One time, just out of curiousity, I punctured a capsule to see what it was like inside. It smelled quite bad. I downed the oil and chased with lots of water, but it tasted like I had just licked a fresh dead fish. Kinda like the smell of a cooler after a day of fishing. It was nasty.

EdgarMex
09-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Well, it's fish oil, dude, what were you expecting it to taste/smell like?

JHolmes145
09-03-2003, 02:07 PM
i cant see how ne1 takes fish oil caps, i took 1 jus 4 the hell of it once it made me so sick, and the taste was in my mouth all day.never again.

dirty-c
09-04-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by EdgarMex
Well, it's fish oil, dude, what were you expecting it to taste/smell like?

It was just one of those insanely idiotic masochistic things we all do. We know ahead of time something is going to be painful, and we do it anyway.