PDA

View Full Version : booze

clint_rock
08-30-2003, 06:13 AM
Hey Guys,

I like to get drunk a few times a week. :D I just wondered what effect this might be having on my musscle building endevours. I often get bad hang overs but I force my self in to the gym any way - so I think it must be ok. I just wanted to make sure.

Cheer Boss.

Tank23
08-30-2003, 06:46 AM
A few times a week? Geez mate, that's a bit much. Every thing in moderation, that's the key.

Alcohol prevents protein synthesis, therefore, hinders muscle growth. Plain and simple. If you're dedicated, you shouldn't be drinking so much.

clint_rock
08-30-2003, 06:51 AM
I didn't realise alcohol hindered my protein synthesis. :( I guess I better cut down :cry: Thanks for the tip boss

Stray
08-30-2003, 12:13 PM
Save the booze for a free day.;)

Trent_Steel
08-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by clint_rock

. I often get bad hang overs but I force my self in to the gym any way - so I think it must be ok.

Cheer Boss.

Please tell me your joking!
tuttut tuttut tuttut tuttut

Mic Soloist
08-30-2003, 07:18 PM
I have been drinking quite a bit lately and I have noticed some lagging in my progress but every now and then is fine. I'm not gonna be drinking for a while though. I got a bad hangover and my buddy got a DUI last night. He's gonna quit so I think I'm gonna quit with him.

for a while anyway

-mic-

Trent_Steel
09-01-2003, 04:48 AM
Clint if you want to get really big and do it fast I would cut out the booze, but if your semi-serious, getting tanked up once a week is ok, just dont expect anything special to happen if you wrecking your body every week.

tankdogg
09-01-2003, 10:24 AM
When u say alcohol hinders protein synthesis is this if u get drunk or does this also happen when u have 1-2 and are not drunk at all or even nearly drunk. On a fri and sat I have been having 2 cans which take me about 2 hours to drink is this also hindering my gains?

mikey4402
09-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
I got a bad hangover and my buddy got a DUI last night.
-mic-

you rode with him tuttut tuttut tuttut tuttut

clint i would cut your drinking down to atleast once every other week if you want to continue progressing in the gym

Maccer101
09-01-2003, 10:32 AM
I've heard that it lowers Testosterone Levels, is this the reason for decreased protein synth.?

Alcohol in moderation shouldn't be a cause for concern, I think if we all ate completely perfect diets that would make us Robots anyway. Everything is bad for you, even oxygen! so like the man said everything in moderation, well apart from protein!!! :strong:

Berserker
09-01-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by mikey4402

clint i would cut your drinking down to atleast once every other week if you want to continue progressing in the gym
BS. You will not make your best gains, but can definitely make gains. Last fall was my first bulk, also changed my training style. I was drinking 4-5 nights a week and made the best gains I ever have. Could I have made more? Probably.
One key to drinking and weightlifting is not getting hangovers. They will screw up you lifts and make you skip lifting. Get some sleep, drink lots of water, and eat healthy, especially before bed.

I am not encouraging drinking, but some people go over board saying you won't grow or your wasting your time in the gym. Wasting my time? Is it better to be a fat drunk?

Berserker
09-01-2003, 01:04 PM

you rode with him tuttut tuttut tuttut tuttut

Better you riding with him, then driving and getting the ticket.;)
I have no problem riding with some who is legally drunk, but not drunk.

Mic Soloist
09-01-2003, 01:25 PM
I got a question...

I went out drinking Friday night(this is Monday afternoon). I had a bad hangover Saturday and haven't felt really good since. I feel sick today. I have a sore throat and I have had a pain in my chest(possibly esophagus *spellin*) when I drink something ever since then. I also got soaked in rain that night and threw up.

What do you think could be causing the the pain in my chest. I also had terribly heart burn the day after. Could I have irritated my esophhagus with the beer and mixed drinks. I did get pretty drunk. Enough so that I'm not intending on drinking again for a VERY LONG TIME. Anybody know what might be wrong.

Symptoms:

Sore throat
Sore body(I did have a crazy chest workout sunday so thats probably part of it)
Pain when swallowing drinks in chest that feels like indigestion.
Overall sluggishness
Infection in my nose(colored snot)

Thanks

-mic-

Berserker
09-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Might be more then a hang over. Kind of strange to still be hung over. As far as sinus go it might be the time of year. My sinues started getting funky this weekend. Are your sinus draining down your throat when you sleep?
The tiredness could be lots of things, like being tired.

Stray
09-01-2003, 03:54 PM
You said it yourself you threw up....the heartburn and sore throat can be caused by your stomach acids being expelled through your nose and mouth...

Mic Soloist
09-01-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Stray
You said it yourself you threw up....the heartburn and sore throat can be caused by your stomach acids being expelled through your nose and mouth...

so is this something serious? Like I said the only time I really feel it is when I swallow liquid. My throat is mildly sore pretty much constantly but the irritation in my chest/esphagus is only as liquid is passing through. BTW, I've only drank water and milk since the events of friday night.

-mic-

Berserker
09-01-2003, 04:19 PM
How much did you throw up? That shouldn't have your throat sore still. Unless this is some thing chronic. Do you throw up every time you drink? If so that is bad.

Mic Soloist
09-01-2003, 04:35 PM
no

I haven't thrown up in a long time.

-mic-

BUFF STUFF
09-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Berserker

I am not encouraging drinking, but some people go over board saying you won't grow or your wasting your time in the gym. Wasting my time? Is it better to be a fat drunk?

I agree 100%

http://www.intense-training.com/forums/images/smilies/beer.gif :thumbup:

Stray
09-01-2003, 05:41 PM
There's a saying:

"Anyone who drinks more than you do drinks too much"

:D

Berserker
09-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Damn right you lush

mikey4402
09-01-2003, 08:58 PM

BS. You will not make your best gains, but can definitely make gains. Last fall was my first bulk, also changed my training style. I was drinking 4-5 nights a week and made the best gains I ever have. Could I have made more? Probably.
One key to drinking and weightlifting is not getting hangovers. They will screw up you lifts and make you skip lifting. Get some sleep, drink lots of water, and eat healthy, especially before bed.

mabey i was wrong for saying that he will not progress if he doesnt give up the drinking. but to my knowlage drinking lowers your testosterone. and im trying to get him to cut down on the booze, how many times has your workout suffered the next day becouse you was hungover. i have no problem with the booze.

Maccer101
09-02-2003, 06:17 AM
I just remembered that Fructose does increase alcohol metabolism so a pint of orange juice b4 you go to bed would be a good idea, nothing else speeds it up apart from becoming an alcoholic them you'll burn that booze off in a jiffy.

Berserker
09-02-2003, 05:35 PM

how many times has your workout suffered the next day becouse you was hungover.
I agree the biggest problem with drinking is loss of moderation the next day. That is why I said you need to get good at it and avoid the hangovers.

bradley
09-03-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Maccer101
I just remembered that Fructose does increase alcohol metabolism so a pint of orange juice b4 you go to bed would be a good idea, nothing else speeds it up apart from becoming an alcoholic them you'll burn that booze off in a jiffy.

Do you have any references for the above information. Thanks in advance.:)

mikey4402
09-03-2003, 10:02 AM

I agree the biggest problem with drinking is loss of moderation the next day. That is why I said you need to get good at it and avoid the hangovers.
i agree

Maccer101
09-03-2003, 10:43 AM
http://alcalc.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/27/1/25

http://metropolis.japantoday.com/HealthandBeauty/3523/healthandbeautyinc.htm

http://www.rondagates.com/weekly/2002/w02-51.html

The evidence doesn't seem to be rock solid though.

clint_rock
09-03-2003, 02:44 PM
I did it again guys :(
I got completley smashed last night. Now I feel terrible. I was on this boat, and the alcohol was all free. I drank 6 pints of beer, and two glasses of wine. I'd better cut down if i'm gonna get massive.

mikey4402
09-03-2003, 03:03 PM
I got completley smashed last night. Now I feel terrible. I was on this boat, and the alcohol was all free. I drank 6 pints of beer, and two glasses of wine. I'd better cut down if i'm gonna get massive.
you will get massive, but in the wrong place.....
jk
hey free beer cant pass that up:D, but over all you need to cut back

Berserker
09-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Mixing beer and wine isn't the best. Like I said you need to get good at drinking. Time to graduate.

Trent_Steel
09-04-2003, 05:01 AM

Tell me more about this boat;)

Gymgurl37
09-04-2003, 03:47 PM
What about ketosis and beer??? Wouldn't that just kick you right out of that because of the sugar? I drink vodka and club soda so I don't consume the carbs. But this is only once a month or so if I am trying to lose weight and bf

bradley
09-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Gymgurl37
What about ketosis and beer??? Wouldn't that just kick you right out of that because of the sugar? I drink vodka and club soda so I don't consume the carbs. But this is only once a month or so if I am trying to lose weight and bf

Yes, the carbs that are contained in beer could possibly kick you out of ketosis.

Alcohol itself can actually "deepen" ketosis by affecting the production of ketones in the liver.

Makaveli_786
09-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Man its simple... try not to drink at all... I swear I feel like the energy has been drained out of me when I drink a lil vodka!!! :cry:

PizDoff
10-02-2003, 10:02 AM
*Didn't read all the thread*

"'One key to drinking and weightlifting is not getting hangovers. They will screw up you lifts and make you skip lifting. Get some sleep, drink lots of water, and eat healthy, especially before bed."
Yeap, throwing up in the morning will not get you into the mood to go workout.......

To quote my girl: "It feels like I need the whole day to wake up."

"I just remembered that Fructose does increase alcohol metabolism so a pint of orange juice b4 you go to bed would be a good idea, nothing else speeds it up apart from becoming an alcoholic them you'll burn that booze off in a jiffy."
Not so sure about orange juice (acetic acid) but grape juice has the fructose.

Trent_Steel
10-02-2003, 10:43 AM
all fruit has fructose in it.

BH-Dizzle
10-04-2003, 09:17 PM
A great tip on avoiding hangovers is to drink lots of water with your booze, or so I have found works for me