PDA

View Full Version : cardio cause strength loss?

zepata
08-30-2003, 12:15 PM
i was wondering whether doing cardio like running/swimming actually causes strength loss? i think it makes me look smaller after doing cardio earlier on in the day, but i'm not sure if it really effect strength. Any insight on this?

Shane
08-30-2003, 12:18 PM
Not unless you do a lot of cardio but it depends how much you do. How much are you doing?

zepata
08-30-2003, 12:20 PM
not much at all, i just did like 10 laps in my pool (its big) and was going to go running. I want to have some endurance built up cause right now im at nothing.. i know it makes me a hungry mofo afterwards and i can keep up with more calories, i just was hoping it wouldn't screw up my strength

MrWebb78
08-30-2003, 12:21 PM
in my experience, a cutting diet and added cardio while cutting increases strength loss. which would make sense since not sonsuming as much energy

zepata
08-30-2003, 12:24 PM
yeah thats true but i forgot to mention that im trying to bulk a little, but not too fast.. i know its probably not the best idea to do cardio while bulking, but im gonna start playing soccer again soon and im going to need some endurance, i can up my calories thats easy i just dont want to lose anything

Shane
08-30-2003, 12:30 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with doing cardio while bulking, just east more to compensate for the cardio. The amount of cardio you listed shouldn't cause any real physiological adaptation that would result in strength loss. So if you are feeling weaker it's more likely due to lack of recovery, lack of enough nutrition, or a combination of the two. I think you should up your calories and see how it goes from there.

Vido
08-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Shane
I don't think there's anything wrong with doing cardio while bulking, just east more to compensate for the cardio. The amount of cardio you listed shouldn't cause any real physiological adaptation that would result in strength loss. So if you are feeling weaker it's more likely due to lack of recovery, lack of enough nutrition, or a combination of the two. I think you should up your calories and see how it goes from there.

:withstupi

r6phantom
08-30-2003, 01:12 PM
proper pre/post cardio nutrition will help you retain strength and muscle mass.

Dedicated
08-30-2003, 04:25 PM
I started eating carbs after cardio and it helps alot. Cardio burns calories so if you are doing cardio while bulking then you need to take in more calories obviously. I'd think light cardio would be good during bulking, I find it helps the muscles recover faster. Just don't overdo the cardio if you are bulking, you don't want to spend all your energy on cardio when it would be better put into lifting.

A light 10-20 minute jog on an offday can do wonders for your muscles. It really helps get rid of the soreness and helps you recover.