PDA

View Full Version : Please help me out guys

dualman125
08-31-2001, 12:03 PM
I am 5'10 and i weight 210. I am 19 years old. I work out twice per day. I would really like to drop about 30 pounds. But I just dont feel like im getting anywhere. I guess I feel stronger, I went from having trouble lifting 10 pound dumbells, to now being able to do a set of 12 on each hand with a 25 pound dumbell. But Physically I look exactly the same. I could care less about the muscle, I would trade away all my myscle if I could get rid of the fat. I DOnt drink Soda, I dont eat Junk food, I drink alot of Spring Water and Seltzer. I dont smoke, nor do i drink alcohol. What the heck am I doing wrong? Is there anyway I could have a defective Metabolism or soemthing? I have seen people stop eating junk food for a week and they drop 3 pounds. I havent eaten Junk food in about a year. I eat pretty healthy, I eat alot of Tuna. I eat a Turkey with everything sandwitch In Blimpy's for lunch. And then i eat soemthing like scrambled eggs, or chicken for dinner. Maybe Im not eating enough,I dont know. But even if I wasnt eating right, wouldnt i still be dropping weight? I mean atleast 10 pounds? I dont weigh Myself regularly, I just go by the look, and for the most part I look just like i did last year. Please guys, give me some advice, Do i need to xtend My workouts or soemthing? I have read some awesome stories of how come of you dropped 40 pounds or so. I have been basically doing the same thing that you said you did, and Ive been doing it for a year. I dont eat CHocolate, I dont eat alot of sugar. I havent had a french fy nor a bigmac in about a year. I mean when the heck is that gonna start paying off? All of my buddies eat like bears all day, And I eat alot heatlthier and less, and Im the one thats 20 pounds overweight. It just pisses me off that when youre overweight, people just assume that all you do is sit home on your ass all day and eat. I play sports ALOT, I work out, I am on the go pretty much all day long. What else can i do?

Nights
08-31-2001, 01:35 PM
Search the forum for 'cutting'. Read the articles on wannabebigs home page about diet and nutrition. Monitor how many cals your taking in, then make a diet.. Then do like I did, and keep posting till someone answers every question you got left.

B.

vpy
08-31-2001, 02:23 PM
macronutrient ratios? cals/day? training split/sets/reps? Ppl will be happy to help but we need more to go on. :cool:

Marcel
08-31-2001, 02:24 PM
First why don't you tell us what your daily diet is like? How many times do you eat a day? From what I read it seems to me like only 2 times a day. Post your diet and then we can help ya out ok?
Also you need to find out how many calories you consume a day. You probably aren't eating enough.

dualman125
08-31-2001, 02:51 PM
I eat about Three emals per day. Light meals. I am never hungry. SOmetimes My first meal doesnt come until 3 Pm because I have classes from 8 am till 2 PM. So its kinda hard toe at breakfast in the morning, and impossible tog et a meal before 2 pm. My daily meals are Very different everyday, I dont follow a specific diet everyday, I just know what NOT to eat.
For example for breakfast I ll have scambled eggs or a tuna sandwitch. For Lunch I ll grab a sandwitch from Subway. Turkey and cheese with everything on it. And for Dinner I ll have either a home made simple emal like a salad and fruits. Or I ll buy soemthing like half chicken or a sandwitch on a hero. I have never felt like I was starving, but even if I am not eating enough, shouldnt that be atleast dropping some pounds? I mean I dont feel any different besides being Stronger . I would like to trim down my stomach. My legs got trimmer and I guess my arms have alot more definition now, but all i care about is my stomache. Theres nothing worse than putting on a Shirt and being able to see your gut stocking out. Thanks alot for the advice guys. I have Abslide and I use it about 5 times per week also.I mean I feel strong all around, I feel very muscular, but its not seen, I have fat on top of it. But id be willing to sacrifice alot of muscle to get rid of the fat, Id rather be trim then be a muscular fatty hehe. Any advice?

dualman125
08-31-2001, 03:07 PM
ANother thing i think I should add. I NEVER drink milk. DOnt know why, just never did when i was young, and now its just not part of my life. Its like milk doesnt exist. So im guessing im not getting enough Calcium? I think my problem may be that I am eating fake food. Is there a supplemet you guys recommend that i could buy in GNC or soemthing like that which will fill me witht he nutrients which I may not be getting enough of? zWIll that help me get trimmer? Oh god, what wouldnt I give to have a trim body.

Nights
08-31-2001, 03:12 PM
First off.. never let your body go to 3pm without eating. I might be wrong, and I'm pretty sure that the rest of these people will correct me if I am, but.. it just isn't good. Chances are you didn't eat during the night, so your going something like 16 hours without food (don't know when you go to sleep. basing that upon my own time schedule). If I'm right (anyone?) this creates a situation in which your body thinks your starving yourself, and anything you toss in there will be tossed into fat so that it can be stored (anyone?) for a later use because it thinks it will need it later. Least that's how one of my roomies explained it to me.

Second, if you want to cut.. you need to worry more then just eating good meals. You really have to think about the macros of each, and how many cals your putting into your body each day. That amount should be less (not a lot less.. few hundred or so) then your BMR (the article I mentioned in wannabebig's diet and nutrition section shows how to get this). A suggestion for the school from 8 till 2 (seeing as I've got the same. Sometimes 8 to 4) is get some protein bars. Or pack a lunch the day before if you've got any spares.. or if they allow you to eat in class. Cold chicken, little bit of rice. Something to tid you over.

I'd suggest getting crosstrainer 2 (http://www.innovativelogic.com/crosstrainer) and trying to make a diet. It'll provide how much cals (protein, carbs and fat) you are getting at each meal and at the end of the day. It also gives a little graph to show the ratio of each. I'd use it to create some daily plans.

Feel free to correct anything I said people. I just started learning about dieting while working out a few days ago. So.. this is my way of checking if I know what I'm talking about yet. (see how many people tell him to ignore me. And on what points to ignore me on.)

B.

Jane
08-31-2001, 03:17 PM
I can't answer anything but here is some stuff of the top of my head: (anyone feel free to correct me/back me up here)
1. If you're going to work your abs, don't do it everyday. Muscles need time to recover and rebuild. 2-3 times a week, short but intense, should be good.
2. If you're mainly concerned about losing weight, realize that it will take some time. 1-2 pounds a week. If you go faster than that, you're killing muscle and maybe organ tissue. We don't want that. So for 30 pounds, thats about 4 months min.
3. To lose 1 pound, you have to create a 3,500 calorie deficit between what your body burns and what you consume. Find your basal metabolic rate (the calories you burn if you sat around all day), factor in your daily activity (there are tons of sites for this) and figure out how you are going to create a deficit each day that, over 7 days, will equal 3,500-7,000. Cutting down on food + doing cardio is a good combo to use to create the deficit. BUT, if you don't eat enough, your metabolism will slow and you won't lose any fat.
4. Keep training but don't expect to BUILD any muscle. Since you are dieting, your body doesn't have enough calories to build anything. For a while, you are going to be working to preserve muscle. More muscle = higher metabolism = ace.
5. Keep researching. There is tons of stuff on this site, including other people's diets and training and stuff for you to look at.
6. People are probably going to strongly suggest something like 6 meals a day. Yes, you'll have to start eating breakfast. Each meal should be relatively small and balanced between carbs/protein/fat.
You'll get more suggestions soon, no worries.

Tryska
08-31-2001, 06:25 PM
dualman.....are we gonna go through this like every couple months? *lol*

k. First off - 2times a day everyday is too much exercise. You are probably overtraining, as well as not eating enough to support your metabolism.

your calorie intake shouldn't go below 10x your bodyweight, and that's on rest days.

try cutting out grains for a bit......eat proteins, dairy, adequate fats, and fruits and vegetables.

if you've been working this hard and you don't have anything to show for it.....then maybe some stricter measures are needed. You might not be getting enough nutrients, and/or enough of the right combination of nutrients.

tell you what....why don't you lay out your exact diet for us. with the times you eat, and what you eat at those times, ie:

6:30am - yadda yadda yadda.

8;30 am - yadda yadda yadda

etc, etc.

we can troubleshoot from there.

also, lay out exactly what your training schedule is, so we can see what you are doing right, and what may need some tweaking.

thanks.

dualman125
08-31-2001, 07:18 PM
Allright lets see

on a VERY good day this is how it goes

7:30 AM Scrambled Eggs or Tuna Sanwitch or Cereal (which of these 3 should i make my norm? I have never eaten the same thing two day in a row. Its not that I dont want to, its just most of the time its not availible to me, sinc ei am in college and etc. But if you say that I should eat scrmabled eggs every morning im gonna go out and buy eggs.

1pm Me and the buddies head out to BLimpies and get a Turkey on a hero with american Cheese, hot peppers and lettuce and tomatoes.

5pm. Stop at a Seven Eleven and grab a Tuna sandwitch and a bottle of spring water.

9pm Have a slice of watermellon and some other fruits. Maybe even a salad. Or sometimes I go for some ome cookin and get something like beef with rice or simple stuff like that. I go to sleep at about 12 and wake up at 7.

I have classes through out the day, so on Mondays and Thursdays I have a class at 11. And next class is at 5. SO I go to the gym at around 2 and at around 3:30 I finish. On Tuesdays I work My upperbody, and on Thurrsdays I work my Lower body and do a little upperbody workout as well. I do 3 sets of 12 for everything when i work out the upper body. And When I work on my legs i go all out. I do about 200 pounds, 3 sets of 25. Ugh what happened to the excercise illustartor, I'm sure but I dont know all of the names for the excersises. I just know how to do them. I pretty much use every single machine in the gym. And I also use the dumbells alot. I also have dumbells at home. Honestly I feel extremely strong, I mean I went from a year ago being ashamed of not being able to do anything with 2/10 pound dumbells. To actually being able to work out with 2/25 pound dumbells. To me I feel like I look the same as I did a year ago. But people tell me i got a bit more muscular. But My goal is just to get lean, I wanna get rid of my body fat. So what should I change about My diet? I get Paid tomorrow, so if you could recommend some supplements or foods and etc I'll go and buy everything this weekend. Like I said before, I NEVER drink milk. Is that a terrible thing? Should I start drinking milk every morning? a while ago I saw an old buddy of mine and he lost a lot of weight, well I guess he just turned it into muscle. But he tells me he uses pills, I was VERY close to using Ephidrine, but it scares the **** out of me because of all the heart side effects it may cause. I wanna get thinner, but I am not gonna risk dying. I think I am not getting enough vitamins and etc, do you agree by reading what a usual day's meal is like for me? IF so please recommend what I should do. Thanks. Oh yeah almost forgot, On sundays I work out for 2 hours and do a combination of everyrhing.

Nights
09-01-2001, 09:10 AM
You type like I think. Just thought I'd make mention of that.. anyways, back to fending off my slight hangover before I go to the gym.
Ooh.. and we need more info. How many scrambled eggs? How much turkey..? how big a hero bun? With the info you've given, trying to figure out your calories intake at this moment would have the same chance as winning the lottery.
Also.. My advice still stands. Your going to have to eat more smaller meals, and actually get a schedule going (school or not. Pack a lunch. Eat during your spare/between class. I'd have something ready instead of just eating on the fly at some restraunt). Like I said before, figure out your BMR and AMR and then construct a diet with.. damn. Is it less then your BMR or AMR people? And how much less should he go at first?
Also.. try to get a good ratio of protein, carbs and fat going. 35/35/30.. or 40/40/20.. Figure something out. Once again, I'm counting on the people here to tell ya which ratio would be best.

B.

Jane
09-01-2001, 09:26 AM
Just a quick sidenote: your buddy didn't turn his fat into muscle. That's like turning lead into gold. Impossible. They are two completely different substances and cannot go from one to the other. Another thing about your buddy: pills aren't cool. Way to go on making your health a priority. Be patient, you'll get the results you want the right way, and you'll feel that much better when you do.
I have two really useful links for you, wait just a min.

Tryska
09-01-2001, 10:45 AM
k - first of all.....like i told you a couple months ago.....you need to chill out with the way you are handling your weights.

organize a split of some sort.....give each body part a minimum of 48 hours rest. You probably not progressing like you want because you are working your body too hard.

now for the diet - eat every 3 hours.

7am - the eggs are good, the tuna is good, i'd skip the sandwich in favor of straight tuna salad. The cereal..not so good, switch it out for some oatmeal.

10am - need a snack of some sort here....maybe cottage cheese and some flax seed oil?

1pm - blimpies is good.

3:00pm - how about some protein powder and milk? i'd be wary of 7-11s tuna sandwich. perhaps a smoothie?

5:00pm - you can add the fruit here, and possibly get in yur seve-eleven stuff, if you must.

9pm - skip the fruit, keep the salad add some tuna, chicken or beef to the salad as well. use olive oil dressing.

bear in mind this is just a skeleton.....you still need to focus on how many calories you need to take in, and figure out the macros.

the way you've been doing things..although a bit of an improvement on how you were a couple of months ago, is definitely haphazard. you've got to set up some schedule that you can stick to that will take the thinking out of it, a bit. if you just fly by the seat of your pants, it's easier to mess up, and spin your wheels.

dualman125
09-01-2001, 11:09 AM
Awesome advice, thanks alot!!!

how about if i try this.

7 am-2 scrambled eggs

9 am. Hot dog with mustard/kethcup and a bottle of spring water.

12 pm another hot dog with mustard and ketchup and another bottle of spring water

2pm a Seven eleven tuna on a roll

2 :30 workout

3:30 a regular slice

6pm a home made salad.

Hows this? lol the hot dogs are the only little meal availible to me near my school, and its awesome ebcause the carts are right infront of the school. SO please say its would be ok to get two hot dogs during the day! hehe. So does that look good? And I was wondering, do you recommend I change my workout to two days per week? And go ALL out? and then let everything rest during the week? Thanks alot you guys, you are awesome. LOL sorry for my bitching and whining, its just I had this goal last year that after the summer I would be totally fit. And it just hasnt worked out. I feel fit and etc. But I dont look it. Hopefully that will come along. From what youve read about my diet, do you notice that im missing any really important nutrients or anything like that? Also do you recommend that i drink milk in the morning with my scrmabled eggs? or is water fine?

dualman125
09-01-2001, 11:15 AM
One more thing, I dont know crap about the powder or any of the bars, and I have never taken any supplements or anything like that. I would LOVE to know what you recommend as a good suppliment. Where can I get that powder? and would it help me out?

One more thing. I used to be really thin when i was younger, but after the age of 12 I began to getting chubbier and chubbier. As far as i can remember I NEVER ate when i was a kid. And now im the same way, I mean 6 out of 7 days in the week, my first meal didnt come till about mid afetrnoon. DO you seriously believe that a little adjustment such as just EATING more could allow me to lose weight?It just doesnt seem realistic. What sucks is I may not eat alot, but then maybe in the evening I go to the diner with a couple buddies, and Its like my body just fills up like a baloon. Its like I can see myself getting filled up like a baloon. Thats why I kind of dont enjoy eating big meals and etc. Cause when i do eat, its like i can instantly feel like I just gained weight or soemthing. Its odd to explain.

Tryska
09-01-2001, 11:16 AM
eeeeek on the hot dogs.....I mean.....they are definitely not a fount of nutrition, although i understadn the convenience factor....how about bringing something from home? or perhaps meal replacement shakes?

milk would be good in the morning....also make it 2 eggs plus some eggwhites.

i would do a protein shake post workout, as opposed to the soda. that doesn't make sense...and you want some protein in your recovery meal to take advantage of the muscles being wide open.

and yes - i myself would recommend 2 days a week, one upper/one lower, going all out. You can do cardio on the other days..which i think you said you've got taken care of right?

another thing..since you got 7-11...how about stocking up on some beef jerky and string cheese? that would be conveneint for whil you are at school.

dualman125
09-01-2001, 11:38 AM
i meant a slice of pizza lol, not slice the drink. Would a slice of pizza be ok? Please tell me more about the powder and any bars you mayr ecommend I buy? LOl you should be charging me for all this info youre giving me, THAN K YOU!!!!!

Nights
09-01-2001, 01:46 PM
I might be completely wrong, but here's my calculations on your diet and you. BMR - 2132 cals (how many you burn sitting around). AMR - 2984 (if your moderately active, how many you need per day).
Ok, my figuring with your diet, and I might be off.. because I guessed medium size hotdog, bun, 1 tbsp of mustard and 1 of ketchup. I didn't know what kinda of tuna would be in that roll, nor how much (put down 3oz).
So.. anyways, here's how it goes. You'd be eating 1691 calories. 78g (702 cal) of those would be fat, 104g of protein (416 cals) and 147g (588 cal) of carbs.

Say the least, you need more food. You need a better ratio of food. 41%fat/25%pro/35%carbs.. I'd say the same as Tryska did, hotdogs are not something you should base your diet on. If you can bring some tuna or chicken from home then it's all good. If not, try to find some protein bars (or whey protein.. don't buy bannana flavored) for a conveint source of protein. That you can cook into just about anything, or make shakes from. You should be able to find it at any healthy store (GNC, etc..). The protein bars, they carry at 7-11 (protein plus), though they rip you off about a dollar on each of them compared to buying them at a drug store (london drugs, here. Not even sure where you are, though). Grab a slice of whole wheat bread with your eggs in the morning is another suggestion.

I'd grab something rich in carbs right after your workout, as well as something with protein (as tryska once again said). Get rid of any fat that your putting into your body right after.

I'm running out of suggestion. Ask more questions again.

B.

Tryska
09-01-2001, 02:51 PM
hey dualman? you ever had your thyroid levels checked by a doctor? that might be something you'll want to do...just to rule that out from being a problem.

as for protein powder...you can get it and health food stores and GNC, online as well. The powder you mix with either water or milk and drink it down. it's a conveneinet way of getting protein in, and it's easy to swallow when you are not hungry, or are strapped for time. You could do protein bars too...my personal favorite is protein diet. (for bars)

I use TwinLab for powder....it tastes good but it's kinda expensive. i like both vanilla and chocolate, but the vanilla is better.

vpy
09-02-2001, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
as for protein powder...you can get it and health food stores and GNC, online as well. The powder you mix with either water or milk and drink it down. it's a conveneinet way of getting protein in, and it's easy to swallow when you are not hungry, or are strapped for time. You could do protein bars too...my personal favorite is protein diet. (for bars)

Protein powder is the only tub of supplement crap that I use in my kitchen...oh wait.. I use ALA for CKD... never mind.... :D Don't worry about taking supplements and just try to get your diet and training a bit better. Just go take some cheap multi-vitamins and save your money. There's no magic pill to get you big...

anyways, I'm like Tryska... protein powder is great for that post-workout shake b/c it saves time, and your body doesn't need to take forever to digest the food to get it into your system...I use 100% chocolate whey from optimum nutrition.. it's not too bad, and not that expensive from dpsnutrition either.

vpy
09-02-2001, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by dualman125
I pretty much use every single machine in the gym. And I also use the dumbells alot.

I may have missed it.... but how many total sets do you do for each muscle? You say that you do 3 sets of 12 for everything.... I'm assuming you may have way too much volume if you say that you use EVERY SINGLE MACHINE IN THE GYM. I don't know how big your gym is, but if I used every machine in my gym, I'd be there all day! :p For example, I'd estimate that there are at least 10 machines that incorporate some type of rowing motion... oh wait.... I'm in the diet board.....

dualman125
09-02-2001, 11:00 AM
there are 14 machines, standard machines that i think every gym has, I do 3 sets of 12, about 20 secs break between each set, I spend about 4 mins per machine. How do your workouts work?

vpy
09-02-2001, 12:35 PM
I use the following split:
mon: back/bis
tues: off
wed: legs
thu: off or low intensity cardio
fri: chest/tris/delts
sat: off
sun: abs, basketball

As an example of day 1 of my split:
(For back/biceps day)

Wide grip chins
3 sets to failure
bodyweight + 20lbs = comes out to be 8,6,4 reps for the sets
then 2 negatives

T-bar Row or DB rows
3 sets to failure = comes out to be 12,8,6 reps for the sets - pyramiding up in weight

V-bar close-grip pulldown
3 sets to failure = comes out to be 12,8,6 reps for the sets - pyramiding up in weight

DB shrugs
2 sets of ~10

Hammer curls
2 sets of ~10

I'd estimate 1 minute btwn sets, 2-4 minutes between exercises. Your 20 secs rest btwn reps would be like circuit training with the intent of keeping your heart rate high akin to cardio to me.

Hope that helps. :)