PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Food For Energy For My baseball Game

eatdirt40
08-31-2003, 11:57 AM
Can anyone help me out with some foods i should eat today and things i should consume into my body for maximum energy for my opening day baseball game. Can anyone help me out with how long before my game i should eat and so on... thanx

socrates
08-31-2003, 12:21 PM
Get some Kool-Aid packs, and make the Kool-Aid with Dextrose instead of sugar.

I would also add some creatine to it, or preferable "tri-creatine malte" This will also help a lot, and keep you hydrated and give you a lil more power.

Put this into a water bottle and drink half before the game and sip on the rest durring.

I would opnly put about 2.5-5 g of the creatine in it.

papaoso2k1
08-31-2003, 12:56 PM
I dont think creatine is going to have such an inmediate effect

Frankster
08-31-2003, 01:24 PM
ECA :D

eatdirt40
08-31-2003, 01:30 PM
do u guys no any foods i should be eating prior to my game thats great for energy or how about powerbars or anything, i dont have ne dextrose and i already took my creatine today a little whilea go.

Ironman8
08-31-2003, 02:47 PM
Well, there was a topic of Jaffa cake somewhere. Why you try those?

bradley
08-31-2003, 04:47 PM
I would just go with a regular whole food meal about 2 hours before the game, and the meal would consist of complex carbs and protein. Try to keep fat intake down, and make sure and not to eat too much. You don't want to be on the field with a full stomach. Maybe sip on a Gatorade periodically throughout the course of the game.

I would stay away from dextrose, since this will probably leave you feeling lethargic in the middle of the game once your blood sugar levels drop.

Don't worry about the creatine, as I doubt it will make any signficant difference, and the timing of creatine really is not that important since it is stored in your muscles.

socrates
08-31-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by bradley
I would just go with a regular whole food meal about 2 hours before the game, and the meal would consist of complex carbs and protein. Try to keep fat intake down, and make sure and not to eat too much. You don't want to be on the field with a full stomach. Maybe sip on a Gatorade periodically throughout the course of the game.

I would stay away from dextrose, since this will probably leave you feeling lethargic in the middle of the game once your blood sugar levels drop.

Don't worry about the creatine, as I doubt it will make any signficant difference, and the timing of creatine really is not that important since it is stored in your muscles.

In case you did not know, Gatorade is pretty much dextrose. They use what they call (glucose powder) which just happens to have the same GI as dextrose.

And that was the point of sipping it throught out the game, and if you think his sugar levels would drop like a rock...well you should do a ilttle more research. It does not have that much of an effect of inusulin levels.

And to say creatine would not make that much a difference..LOL.

Well if yolu would not want to hydrate your muscles as much as possible, well then you know something I don't.

mikey4402
08-31-2003, 09:07 PM
pasta!!!, ever hear of carb loading?

eatdirt40
08-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Oh guys i had pasta about 2 hours before my game and i felt so tired during the game... i had no enery left and fely like going to sleep, maybe because i didnt drink enough water to hydrate my muscles.. all i know is im going to bed good nite

Ironman8
08-31-2003, 10:59 PM
You should have drank gatorade or something during the game :)

bradley
09-01-2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by socrates
In case you did not know, Gatorade is pretty much dextrose. They use what they call (glucose powder) which just happens to have the same GI as dextrose.

Actually Gatorade is composed primarily of sucrose (glucose+fructose), which would be different than consuming a pure dextrose carb drink.

And that was the point of sipping it throught out the game, and if you think his sugar levels would drop like a rock...well you should do a ilttle more research. It does not have that much of an effect of inusulin levels.

Glucose does not have that much of an effect on blood sugar levels? That is just not accurate, seeing as how glucose does not even have to be digested in the stomach and can be readily absorbed, which would cause a rapid rise in blood sugar.

Sipping a carb drink such as Gatorade will ensure that his blood sugar levels remain at a more constant level, as opposed to just drinking the entire drink at one sitting.

And to say creatine would not make that much a difference..LOL.

I said the timing of the creatine would not make much difference. Creatine is stored in the muscle, so taking it in the morning or taking it in the afternoon will not really matter, as long as your muscles are saturated with creatine. I would be happy to read anything that states the timing of creatine will make a significant differnce in athletic performance. Your statement above provides no proof of anything.

http://www.absolute-creatine.com/9.htm
"the exact timing of when you take the creatine may not be critical. As long as you have creatine available to your muscles - it will be effective"

The quote below also states that creatine is stored in the cells, so how is the timing of creatine going to be that important? As long as creatine is present in the muscle it will not make a signficant difference as I stated in my original post.

http://www.musclemonthly.com/issue/pi_3.htm
"Creatine accumulates in cells, it pulls water in with it and increases cell hydration, and thus 'cell swelling'. "

Well if yolu would not want to hydrate your muscles as much as possible, well then you know something I don't.

I don't really see what you are getting at here, because I clearly recommended a meal that was rich in carbs and protein, which would provide a sustained release of glucose and amino acids. This is a solid approach and is utilized by various teams and athletes throughout various sports.

I found the quotes below to be of some interest.

http://www.efit.com/servlet/article/running/3272.html
"Ever wonder how the English managed to build an empire on which the sun never set?" asks Bob Arnot, M.D., chief medical correspondent for NBC News and author of The Biology of Success (Little, Brown and Company, 2000). "I'd like to think it was a big, hearty breakfast. Maybe part of England's decline is that so many Englishmen now eat the same skimpy continental breakfast as the Europeans."

So what should you eat for an a.m. power punch? "Do have a high-protein start as soon as you're out of bed," advises Arnot. "Don't eat foods that cause a fast rise and fall in your blood sugar, such as doughnuts, Danish, bagels, and white toast." The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services seems to agree that doughnuts shouldn't play a major role in healthy diet plan. They suggest choosing a diet moderate in sugars and sodium."

http://jaguar.aug.edu/jcorr/nutrition.htm
"Here are some things to think about when planning a pre workout or pregame meal:

Allow enough time for digestion. Eat the meal at least three hours before an event.

Choose a meal that's high in starch. Starch is easy to digest and helps steady the levels of blood sugar.

Consume only moderate amounts of protein. Protein foods take longer to digest than starch. And high-protein meals may lead to increased urine production, which can add to dehydration.

Limit fats and oils. They take too long to digest.

Restrict sugary foods. Sweets can cause rapid energy swings in blood sugar levels and result in low blood sugar and less energy.

Avoid foods and drinks that contain caffeine. Caffeine stimulates the body to increase urine output, which can contribute to dehydration problems, and a full bladder can be very uncomfortable.

Watch out for foods that produce gas. Certain raw vegetables, fruits, or beans may cause problems for some young athletes. Be aware of the foods that cause you problems, and avoid them just before an event.

Within these guidelines, chose foods you like to eat.

Remember to drink plenty of fluids with your pregame meal."

**If you have any information that states something different as to what I stated above I would be more than happy to read it, but just stating something that is not accurate and touting it as fact will not be of much help to anyone.:)

LAM
09-01-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by eatdirt40
do u guys no any foods i should be eating prior to my game thats great for energy or how about powerbars or anything, i dont have ne dextrose and i already took my creatine today a little whilea go.

it's baseball, just eat a regular meal. you are idle most of the time so you don't need to eat anything special...

eatdirt40
09-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by LAM

it's baseball, just eat a regular meal. you are idle most of the time so you don't need to eat anything special...

What do you mean you dont need to eat anything special, im trying to get a maximum benifit from what i eat because ive had problems of not having enough energy in the past. I do eat regular meals before my games but i always seem out of energy before the games. I think im going to consume more water prior to my games.

People say pasta is a good energy soarce? but it seems everytime i eat it i have no energy got the game.

Can anyone help me with some suggestions of foods that work good besides pastas. How about rice, protein shakes, meats or veggies and suggestions.

Oh yah and about last night i did have a powerade but no gatorade, my brother told me there is bad sugars in powerade and that i should be sipping on gatorade during the game.

Any comments...

socrates
09-01-2003, 03:36 PM

Put this into a water bottle and drink half before the game and sip on the rest durring.

I never said chug it down..I said drink half then sip it.

So you'r fighting the same idea.

socrates
09-01-2003, 03:41 PM
The idea of sipping it through out the game is the key here. Also I never said anything about the timing of the creatine, I only recomended it with his drink to help the up take of it since it is a highl GI drink which would facilitate the saturation of the creatine. I am well aware of the fact the creatine is stored in your muscle cells, among all others.

bradley
09-01-2003, 03:50 PM
The idea of sipping it through out the game is the key here. Also I never said anything about the timing of the creatine, I only recomended it with his drink to help the up take of it since it is a highl GI drink which would facilitate the saturation of the creatine. I am well aware of the fact the creatine is stored in your muscle cells, among all others.

Then you would see that I clearly stated that the timing of creatine was not that important, and I said this because in his post he stated that he had already taken creatine earlier during the day. I was not addressing the benefits of taking creatine with carbs.:)

bradley
09-01-2003, 03:53 PM

I still would like to hear your reasoning behind this statement. I assume you are referring to glucose in the above statement, and if anything is going to affect blood sugar levels, it would be pure glucose, which is what you recommended that he consume before/during the game.

bradley
09-01-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by eatdirt40
I think im going to consume more water prior to my games.

You should be consuming plenty of water everyday.:)

People say pasta is a good energy soarce? but it seems everytime i eat it i have no energy got the game.

How many carbs are you eating in this meal? What foods are you consuming? You can't expect some huge burst of energy from eating a meal, but then again you should not be getting tired in the middle of your game.

Can anyone help me with some suggestions of foods that work good besides pastas. How about rice, protein shakes, meats or veggies and suggestions.

Rice, beans, pasta, sweet potatoes, oats, etc. would all be good carb choices, and then combine this with a lean protein source. A protein shake would be fine or you could eat some lean chicken, fish, etc.

Oh yah and about last night i did have a powerade but no gatorade, my brother told me there is bad sugars in powerade and that i should be sipping on gatorade during the game.

Any comments...

Powerade contains high fructose corn syrup as the primary ingredient, but it does not contain enough to worry about. It would have still served the same purpose as the Gatorade.

eatdirt40
09-01-2003, 04:29 PM
thanx for the help bradley

Holto
09-02-2003, 09:44 AM
if you are tired during the game it has more to do with the nutrition plan you followed the 2 weeks before

are you hitting the weights too frequently ?

eatdirt40
09-02-2003, 04:49 PM
nope 3 times a week, it might be the amount of food im consuming, im eating a wopping 3500 calories a day and im only 5'9 16 years old and 162 pounds..... my body is adjusting to this and its not used to all the food and is really worn out from all this p o s s i b l y, im not sure. But i always never seem to have the adrenaline for my games when it comes down to it, im basically drained out before the game ven starts.. i love baseball so i know i still have the passion and the dream to succeed but it just seems im so tired when the game starts... help anyne.. thx :(