PDA

View Full Version : Animal Fats

Life4ever
08-31-2001, 01:53 PM
Hey evveryone, I need some info. I was arguing wiht my teacher in class about animal fats. He was saying thats the main reason for clogged arteries. I said carbohydrates were in america, the main reason for heart probs, ect. He also was sayhing that animal fats created an abudance of mucus in the body....like in the eyes, nose, ect? I didnt know much on ths subject, so im unsure. Also, he was saying how red meat is going down hill...since the mad cow diease? I said that was mostlyh in europe and theres no probs.....he said, if there wasnt any probs, why are eurpeons banned from giving blood who r in the usa? i dont know much abou this matter, but i do know red meat is tasty LOL.

syntekz
08-31-2001, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Life4ever
Also, he was saying how red meat is going down hill...since the mad cow diease

What did he mean by its going down hill?

Red meat is a great source of protein and fats. At least that's what I've been told.

Jane
08-31-2001, 02:51 PM
Red meat is a convinient (and tasty) carrier for a lot of important stuff. For girls especially, iron is vital. I'm pretty sure there are also different B-vitamins and other things...That is part of the reason vegetarians have to watch out and make sure they get all the nutrients they need from other (IMO, less convinient) sources.

When he says animal fat, does he mean saturated fat? Saturated fat is not really great, agreed, but I don't think you can blame America's health probs on one specific thing. IMO, it is a combination of unhealthy habits, poor diet, no exercise, too much stress (this country is built on competition), etc etc etc.

Although, it really would be great for the planet if we were all vegetarians. It takes much less of a toll on the earth to grow things rather than herd cattle. And it's easier to feed our growing population that way...

Tryska
08-31-2001, 06:02 PM
perhaps milk products and casein contribute to mucus buildup.....but as far as red meat going down hill, his reasoning is flawed....it's moreso because of the junk they shoot these poor cows up with, that's winding up in our systems. our bodies can tolerate red meat very well, although it should be lean cuts. not the fattier meats we have access too. and it should also be organic.

i'm with you on the carb thing btw. you wanna mess with him, explain how insulin actually damages the arteries, and makes LDLs smaller and denser, and then they catch on these weak spots, causing artherosclerosis...*lol*

Proteen
09-03-2001, 05:48 PM
perhaps milk products and casein contribute to mucus buildup

Explain your self GOOFACE before I stop eating a quart of cottage cheese a day from your non-explanatory ramblings!

*imagines himself in class with drool hanging out of his mouth from mucus buildup*

Alex.V
09-03-2001, 05:57 PM
They don't. There's never been any evidence (empirical or otherwise) that milk products (or casein) contribute to mucus production/accumulation. This is an unfortunate myth, and it's a shame that PETA and other organizations with agendas continue to perpetrate it. But there's no fact to it.

What milk CAN do is thicken saliva. Calcium, lactic acid, and casein all show some signs of having this effect. It's also a thick liquid, so it may coat your throat.

So don't sweat it. ;)

Tryska
09-04-2001, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Proteen

Explain your self GOOFACE before I stop eating a quart of cottage cheese a day from your non-explanatory ramblings!

*imagines himself in class with drool hanging out of his mouth from mucus buildup*

well belial cleared that up......and btw- it's not your place to call me that, seeing as you don't know the story behind it. No offense, just don't let "gooface" in regards to me drop from your fingertips anymore, please. thanks.:)

Alex.V
09-04-2001, 06:54 AM
Respect her authoritai! :D

Cackerot69
09-04-2001, 07:06 AM
Haha, sup gooface?

Anyway, debating with teachers is fun, although if you start to get ahead in the arguement they often get defensive.

"Hey evveryone, I need some info. I was arguing wiht my teacher in class about animal fats. He was saying thats the main reason for clogged arteries. I said carbohydrates were in america, the main reason for heart probs, ect. He also was sayhing that animal fats created an abudance of mucus in the body....like in the eyes, nose, ect? I didnt know much on ths subject, so im unsure. Also, he was saying how red meat is going down hill...since the mad cow diease? I said that was mostlyh in europe and theres no probs.....he said, if there wasnt any probs, why are eurpeons banned from giving blood who r in the usa? i dont know much abou this matter, but i do know red meat is tasty LOL."

Tell him that arteries get clogged when there is too many triglycerides in the blood, and because of the typical high carb diet there is a high insulin secretion. Insulin lowers it's antagonistic hormone glucagon and this means fatty acids go away from beta-oxidation (fancy term for fat burning, make him feel dumb) and the go to TG synthesis (fancy term for fat storage). By eating a high carb/low fat diet fat storage and blood triglyceride levels will be high, not to mention hormone production will be out of whack and protein requirements likely won't be met unless you go above maintenance. Ask him to explain the mechanism behind animal fats causing mucus accumulation, bet he can't because it's bollox. Use Tryska's arguement against the mad cow disease and europeans and you'll have him stuck.

:evillaugh

Teachers are usually going by one universally acceted book some nutritionist wrote up, chock full of misinformation and easily discredited.

Tryska
09-04-2001, 07:08 AM
*lol*

only you are allowed to get away with that cackazoid....hey...aren't you supposed to be someplace else right now?

and i agree with the explanation..excellent argument.

Cackerot69
09-04-2001, 07:11 AM
My grandmothers car conveinently decided to break down today, so my mom faxed it over... *crosses fingers*

Tryska
09-04-2001, 07:16 AM
doh!

well...good luck, bro.

hemants
09-04-2001, 07:26 AM
There is no single culprit and no magic bullet solution to America's health problems.

Most agree that these problems are problems of excess. Too many calories, too many carbs, too much saturated fat, too little exercise.

In terms of the risk of Mad Cow disease in America, some argue that it's only a matter of time. I don't know much about it but I would choose free range organic meat over Factory farmed meat (if you can afford it)

body
09-04-2001, 02:55 PM
the term red meat "going down hill" is aimed at that in 50 years time poeple will be eating less meat than they do now as they are exspenvie form of protien that need a lot of feeding to grow so its more effeicent to grow plants than animal.
genetic enginnering will alllow high complete source of protein plant to grow.
unlike us on this boared most people do not eat as much meat as us.

Jane
09-04-2001, 04:22 PM
Genetically engineered plant...yumm.

I'm going to sit down to a nice, big, juicy hunk of....cabbage...with barbeque sauce...

Alex.V
09-04-2001, 04:35 PM
i can't see throwing one of those on the grill, jane.

vpy
09-04-2001, 04:51 PM
portabella mushroom's are great for the grill! :)

Jane
09-05-2001, 01:10 PM
what?! you mean I'm NOT a great cook? But...but....

doh!:rolleyes:

I'll go back to my shiny tuna cans.