PDA

View Full Version : creatine and fat

kingpin
08-31-2001, 02:16 PM
Is taking creatine while attempting to lower BF an effective method of reaching my goals?

vpy
08-31-2001, 02:42 PM
I don't believe that creatine will help promote fat loss. It may help you build muscle which in turn causes you to burn more cals and therefore more fat but thats about it.

syntekz
08-31-2001, 03:10 PM
Creatine hasn't been shown to help in fat loss.

Creatine doesn't exactly help you build muscle. It causes your muscle cells to retain water which can increase the muscle size in certain individuals.

Creatine also helps with creating energy for the body to use in certain activities.

Creatine is converted into Creatine Phosphate (CP) inside the body. It than combines with ADP (The end product of ATP) to produce extra energy in the body.

So creatine is basically a motivator inside your body that "makes" you have more energy for exercise or physical activity.

Podium Kreatin
09-01-2001, 12:10 AM
well, creatine has indirect benefits to muscle gain and fat loss (taking creatine alone won't do much). i forgot how it assists fat loss, but i read some lab reports and they said htat it seemed to assist fat loss

Red C
09-01-2001, 01:13 PM
Bear in mind that creatine will also make you heavier as your muscles hold more water, so if u are measuring your weight loss on scales then you will appear to not have lost much.

Cackerot69
09-01-2001, 02:57 PM
Yes.

ECA + creatine = best combo, IMO.

kingpin
09-02-2001, 04:32 PM
what's ECA and is taking protein supplements along wit creatine allright?

PowerManDL
09-02-2001, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Cackerot69
Yes.

ECA + creatine = best combo, IMO.

Along with twice the normal water intake of either alone. Taking diuretics with things that make you retain water = not the best thing.

Cackerot69
09-02-2001, 04:51 PM
Water intake will have to go up, but not to extreme levels. 4-6 liters will suffice. The thing is that ECA draws out sub-cutaneous water, and creatine brings water into muscles, so the effect is the appearance of having more muscle and less fat (much more apperent when lean). Plus, the performance ehancing effects of each go together well, and could be considered synergistic. Not to mention the fact that caffiene increases creatine uptake into muscle and with ECA acting as a nutrient partioner more of that creatine will get into your muscles that way as well.

Alex.V
09-02-2001, 06:45 PM
Caffeine supposedly decreases kidney reabsorption of sodium, which is its primary mechanism of diuretic action. I wouldn't think this would compromise creatine's effectiveness.

PowerManDL
09-02-2001, 06:46 PM
Tell me that when you're pissing every 10 minutes. Literally.

Cackerot69
09-02-2001, 07:09 PM
I'm taking both now, along with other caffiene containing drinks and I'm fine.

PowerManDL
09-02-2001, 07:33 PM
Water intake will have to go up, but not to extreme levels. 4-6 liters will suffice. The thing is that ECA draws out sub-cutaneous water, and creatine brings water into muscles, so the effect is the appearance of having more muscle and less fat (much more apperent when lean). Plus, the performance ehancing effects of each go together well, and could be considered synergistic. Not to mention the fact that caffiene increases creatine uptake into muscle and with ECA acting as a nutrient partioner more of that creatine will get into your muscles that way as well.

1) How does ECA only draw out sub-cutaneous water? My experience with it has been quite contrary to that, not to mention that it doesn't seem very likely it would only affect sub-cutaneous fluids.

2) The effect isn't "synergistic." That would imply that they both enhanced the same mechanism. Creatine works metabolically, whereas the benefit of ECA as related to performance is largely psychological.

3) What exact "nutrient partitioning" effect ensures that more creatine gets in the muscles? For that matter, how does caffeine increase creatine uptake?

Cackerot69
09-02-2001, 08:05 PM
1. That's what diuretics do. I'm sure "some" intra-muscular water could be drawn out, but the amount would be small and surely counter-acted by the creatine.

2. The effect is synergistic because ECA increases beta-2 responsiveness which allows for more Na+ to gradient in the muscle cell membrane, enhancing the creatine uptake and the glycogen synthesizing capacity of the muscle.

3. More nutrients go to muscle, less go to fat. By increasing beta-2 responsiveness.

Alex.V
09-02-2001, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
Tell me that when you're pissing every 10 minutes. Literally.

*pisses*

Caffeine supposedly decreases kidney reabsorption of sodium, which is its primary mechanism of diuretic action.

*pisses*

I wouldn't think this would compromise creatine's effectiveness.

*pisses*

kingpin
09-02-2001, 08:39 PM
you guys are confusing me, so whats my best bet? I don't know about this eca diuretic stuff?

Alex.V
09-02-2001, 08:57 PM
Okay, to answer your ORIGINAL question:

Taking creatine won't directly help you lose fat, but it might help keep your strength up and prevent your workout intensity from dropping while you're trying to lose weight. I say take the creatine.

Cackerot69
09-02-2001, 09:48 PM
Yes.

Too confusing for you?

Sayiajin Prince
09-02-2001, 11:30 PM
hey, i heard that creatine helps ur muscles in contractions? is this true?

(personally i cant wait to get off creatine b/c it hampers my speed, im already fast as lightning while on the stuff, i will be faster when im off it)

wuts the talk about creatine helping in sprints? (not the dime a minute BS)

PowerManDL
09-03-2001, 12:41 PM
Creatine will help in any short duration, high intensity exercise. Essentially any movement that lasts under 30 seconds, such as powerlifting, olympic lifting, and you guessed it, sprints. It has to do with the particular energy pathway those brief, intense forms of exercise use. Creatine puts extra gas in the tank, so to speak.