PDA

View Full Version : Is too much caffeine really bad?

Dedicated
09-01-2003, 03:28 AM
Ever since I posted to ask about the calories in green tea I've been drinking the stuff like water, I love it.

Well my question is it ok to drink so much of it cause I know it has caffeine. Like will the caffeine have some negative effect on my workouts? I know it has an effect on my sleep/appetite but other than that is it ok to keep downing the stuff like water?

Trent_Steel
09-01-2003, 04:44 AM
Keep below 500mg a day thats 5 cups of instant, or about 3 cups from starbucks. If you keep it in moderation I dont see the problem.
Just drink one glass of water extra for each cup of coffee, as caffeine is a diurectic and dehydrates you.

I dont know the caffeine content of green tea, but if its the same as coffee, do as above.

bradley
09-01-2003, 05:29 AM
I think it would be dependant on your goals. Caffeine elevates cAMP levels, which increases other things in the cell (AMPK). When this occurs you will have increased fat burning and it also decreases catabolism (proteolysis). Although on the other hand it decreases protein synthesis as well, so if you are trying to increase LBM this would not be very beneficial.

Caffeine can also have an effect on insulin sensitivity and I am sure that this would be attributed to the effects that caffeine has on catecholamine levels.

bradley
09-01-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Trent_Steel
Keep below 500mg a day thats 5 cups of instant, or about 3 cups from starbucks. If you keep it in moderation I dont see the problem.

What is this recommendation based on?:)

I dont know the caffeine content of green tea, but if its the same as coffee, do as above.

The caffeine contained in green tea is much less than that of a cup of coffee, but I can't remember the specific amount off the top of my head.

Dedicated
09-01-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by bradley
When this occurs you will have increased fat burning and it also decreases catabolism (proteolysis). Although on the other hand it decreases protein synthesis as well, so if you are trying to increase LBM this would not be very beneficial.

Ya I'm trying to shed off a few pounds of fat, this is my main goal. Decreased catabolism also sounds really nice. I think I can deal with the decrease in protein synthesis for now as long as it is increasing fat burning.

Thanks a ton for the reply, and I'm glad it turned out to be a good thing, cause I just got back from the store where I bought 5 more boxes, 100 tea bags LOL.:D

Edit- I'm also trying to gain LBM but the more I think of it the more I'd rather shed those pounds heh. Also I think I can still make slight gains cause I'm still relatively new to lifting. I worked out years ago but it has only been about a month since I have started back up, so I'm still making those newbie gains.

JuniorMint6669
09-01-2003, 08:47 AM
Interesting info bradley... i just started cutting again and i dont function very well in a calorie defecit... unless im taking a lot of caffeine. Didnt know it would help preserve LBM. I actually thought that was the purpose of ephedrine in the EC stack. What exactly does E do bradley, if you dont mind? :D

bradley
09-01-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by JuniorMint6669
Interesting info bradley... i just started cutting again and i dont function very well in a calorie defecit... unless im taking a lot of caffeine. Didnt know it would help preserve LBM. I actually thought that was the purpose of ephedrine in the EC stack. What exactly does E do bradley, if you dont mind? :D

Ephedra increases the release of adrenaline and noradrenaline, and caffeine and aspirin inhibit the negative feedback associated with this increased output of adrenaline/noradrenaline. Caffeine does this through its effects on cAMP and phosphodiesterase (PDE) enzyme and aspirin through its effects on prostaglandins.

Although studies have shown that aspirin does offer any benefits as far as increased thermogenesis, unless the individual is obese.

Spartacus
09-01-2003, 09:31 AM
Although on the other hand it decreases protein synthesis as well, so if you are trying to increase LBM this would not be very beneficial.

:eek:

is this a large effect? i drink about 5 cups of tea a day. is it related to diuretic effect?

Trent_Steel
09-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Sorry Bradley I was wrong its 300mg, not 500mg but Ive got a link for you http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/health-info/drug-alc/caffeine.html

Enjoy:)

PS if you want to know what caffeine looks like this link has a pic
http://coffeefaq.com/caffaq.html

bradley
09-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Spartacus

:eek:

is this a large effect? i drink about 5 cups of tea a day. is it related to diuretic effect?

I am not saying that this is going to make or break your training, but I thought it was something worth mentioning. Obviously the effect would be related to the amount of caffeine that you are consuming each day, and moderation is probably key as Trent Steel pointed out.:)

The effect is due to the increase in cAMP as previously stated in my post above.

bradley
09-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Sorry Bradley I was wrong its 300mg, not 500mg but Ive got a link for you http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/health-info/drug-alc/caffeine.html

Enjoy:)

PS if you want to know what caffeine looks like this link has a pic
http://coffeefaq.com/caffaq.html

Thanks for posting the links, but it really does not state any concerns regarding caffeine intake above 300mg. It just states that 300mg is a moderate intake of caffeine, and also says that caffeine has not been linked to heart disease, ostepoprosis, etc.

Trent_Steel
09-01-2003, 11:27 AM
how about this, it gives reasons and everything :D even if its only one reason.

http://nutrition.tufts.edu/news/matters/2002-12-02.html

bradley
09-01-2003, 11:37 AM
how about this, it gives reasons and everything :D even if its only one reason.

http://nutrition.tufts.edu/news/matters/2002-12-02.html

While I agree that moderation is probably the best course of action, I doubt you are going to have any trouble as far as calcium loss is concerned, assuming that you are taking in adequate amounts of calcium.

Stabber
09-02-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Dedicated

Edit- I'm also trying to gain LBM but the more I think of it the more I'd rather shed those pounds heh. Also I think I can still make slight gains cause I'm still relatively new to lifting. I worked out years ago but it has only been about a month since I have started back up, so I'm still making those newbie gains.

One thing I learned from being here is to concentrate on one thing. If you want to lose weight, concentrate on that. Put all your efforts into cardio and diet. Increasing LBM should be an afterthought. My waste size went down 2" this month from putting all efforts into diet.

mercury
09-02-2003, 11:36 PM
The caffeine contained in green tea is much less than that of a cup of coffee, but I can't remember the specific amount off the top of my head.

Green tea has 40 milligrams of caffeine per 8 oz serving.

Dedicated
09-03-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Stabber

One thing I learned from being here is to concentrate on one thing. If you want to lose weight, concentrate on that. Put all your efforts into cardio and diet. Increasing LBM should be an afterthought. My waste size went down 2" this month from putting all efforts into diet.

Thanks for the advice man.:)

raniali
09-03-2003, 10:44 AM
i actually stopped consuming any caffeine whatsoever almost 3 yrs ago. i never thought i was a caffeine addict until i had a couple of migraines that lasted 2-3 days each .... and i NEVER get headaches. trying to discover the root of the problem, i realized i had missed my daily 8oz dose of diet coke. i decided that i didn't want to physically rely on ANY chemical and dealt with another 2-3 day migraine to clear my system. IF i drink soda now, it is a caffeine-free diet coke with no ice. yes, everyone else also wonders why i drink it at all if i take everything out of it.