PDA

View Full Version : High protein, low carb diet

MusclesMan
09-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Hey guys..
I working nowadays on a high protein low carb diet, but I'm really sure. Is this diet good for bulking ??? I also use creatine.

BREAKFAST 6am-7am
6-- 8 Egg Whites
2---Pieces of Rye Bread
1-Medium Apple
2-Glasses of Water

SNACK 9am-10am
1-6oz. Can of Tuna (with mayo)
2-Glasses of Water

Lunch 12pm-1pm
2-Chicken Breasts
1-Large Salad and Veggies
2-Glasses of Water

Mid-Afternoon 3pm
4 - Hard Boiled Eggs

Supper 6pm
2-Chicken Breasts
1-Large Salad and Veggies

Snack ( 1 Hour before Bedtime)
Cup of Cottage Cheese
1-Scoop of Protein Powder

Only Starchy Carbs in the morning
I can substitute Fish,Turkey or Hamburger for Chicken

thanx

Dedicated
09-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Seems like a pretty solid diet you got there, lots of lean meats and vegetables really good I think:)

Do you take EFA's, vitamins? Do you consume a postworkout shake?

Ebu
09-02-2003, 10:47 PM
I notice that I gain more mass when I eat more of anything. Especially carbs. I tried cutting out most carbs, and it was a lot more difficult I felt to gain mass. Now that I have put that back in my diet, I have been gainging the weight back.

bradley
09-03-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by MusclesMan
Hey guys..
I working nowadays on a high protein low carb diet, but I'm really sure. Is this diet good for bulking ??? I also use creatine.

Low carb diets are generally not going to give you the results that you would see with a more balanced approach, due to the effect that low carb diets have on hormones (increased glucagon, decreased insulin, IGF-1, etc.). I would recommend centering most of your carbs around your training, and then you could consume more fat at other times during the day. Basically take more of an isocaloric approach to your bulking diet (33/33/33 p/c/f). Make sure to take in enough EFAs throughout the day (fish oil, flaxseed oil, oily fish, etc.), and carbs pre/post workout would definitely be a good idea.

Your food choices look fine, just bump up the carbs around your training and increase fat (EFA) intake a bit.:)

MusclesMan
09-03-2003, 06:20 PM
the peanut butter is a good source of carbs, right ?? so should I add it to my diet ??? thanx guys..

bradley
09-04-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by MusclesMan
the peanut butter is a good source of carbs, right ?? so should I add it to my diet ??? thanx guys..

Peanut butter contains ~6g of carbs per serving, along with ~16g of fat, so to get any appreciable amount of carbs you would have to take in a large amount of fat. Basically peanut butter is a good source of fat, and if you need more carbs in your diet I would recommend getting them from sources such as oats, sweet potatos, veggies, beans, ww bread, pasta, fruit, etc.

geoffgarcia
09-05-2003, 12:29 AM
rather than giving us a 1 day sample why dont you try it for a month, figure out your weekly avg's and let us know and we'll tell ya what to increase/decrease
thats the best way to analyze your diet

Makaveli_786
09-08-2003, 08:31 AM
Is it just me or does anybody else think he should take out the salads and lessen the fruit a little bit and increase the amount of protein and carohydrate full foods.

Fruits and salads usually fill you up which stops you from eating as much and are also not too good for gaining mass.

Keep up the creatine though thats probably doing a lot of good for your goals right now!!!

arjun
09-08-2003, 08:43 AM
Eat some whole eggs, unless you are really worried about cholesterol. The yolk has half the protien, plus good unsaturated fat, HDL cholesterol, and many vitamins and such. Yes it has LDL cholesterol and sat. fat, but not enough to do any harm at all if you add 2 or 3 of them in your diet. Plus, if you want protein, the whole egg is a great source.

bradley
09-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Makaveli_786
Is it just me or does anybody else think he should take out the salads and lessen the fruit a little bit and increase the amount of protein and carohydrate full foods.

Fruits and salads usually fill you up which stops you from eating as much and are also not too good for gaining mass.

Looks as though he is getting plenty of protein, but not enough carbs and healthy fats (EFAs). I see no reason in taking in more than 1g per lb. of bw in protein.