PDA

View Full Version : Heathy Fats

Stabber
09-02-2003, 10:37 PM
I am not getting any fats right now. Well, maybe 2 or 3 grams per meal (6 meals a day).
How much fat do I need? I was told not to intake any fat until I reach my goal.

Is this correct? I heard somewhere that healthy fats can help you lose weight. Would 1 tbpsn of natty PB and a few fish oil caps be enough?
Thx

Ebu
09-02-2003, 10:51 PM
Well, depends on what you are trying to do. If you are trying to get bigger and build lean muscle, cutting out fats will ONLY slow you down, and you may never get to were you wanna be. I made the mistake last summer of cutting out fats, and I lost like 30 pounds! This summer though, I stook to fats, and I have gained about 5 lbs of lean mass. Of course, I am trying to bulk at the moment.

-Natty PB
-Red Meats (very good for getting bigger)
-cheese

These are the foods I get most of my fats from.

Stabber
09-02-2003, 10:55 PM
Yea I'm on a cut. My meals are like:

meal1: oatmeal with 1 teaspoon of sugar. Whey. Multi vit, calcium, fiber and VITC supplements

meal2: rice cake and whey

meal3: salad with vinegar and a can of tuna. Fiber pill

meal4: whey. maybe a little tuna

meal5: tuna and rice or tuna and tortilla

meal6: whey

Wizard
09-02-2003, 11:58 PM
It seems that your diet really lacks some essential fatty acids (chic form of EFA's)

Get some fish oil. It's way better than flax seed oil. (salmon oil capsules)
Add a tbsp of olive oil (it also ups test levels) to the salad.

bradley
09-03-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Stabber
How much fat do I need?

I would recommend ~25% of your cals come from fat.

Is this correct?

EFAs are essential fatty acids, hence they cannot be producsed by the body, so you definitely need to take in some form of EFAs.

I heard somewhere that healthy fats can help you lose weight.

Omega 3 fatty acids are the first fats to be released from fat cells when dieting and this leaves other fats that tend to promote fat storage in the fat cells (saturated fats and omega 6s).

The above is important because of the effects that omega 3s have on gene expression, which basically comes down to the fact that omega 3s support fat burning while decreasing fat storage.

http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/131/4/1129

Would 1 tbpsn of natty PB and a few fish oil caps be enough?

It would be a start:D

Olive oil would be a better fat source than natty pb, as Wizard suggested, and also don't forget to add in some fish oil. Don't get me wrong natty pb would work, and you could afford to throw in a little of all three.

bradley
09-03-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Stabber
Yea I'm on a cut. My meals are like:

meal1: oatmeal with 1 teaspoon of sugar. Whey. Multi vit, calcium, fiber and VITC supplements

meal2: rice cake and whey

meal3: salad with vinegar and a can of tuna. Fiber pill

meal4: whey. maybe a little tuna

meal5: tuna and rice or tuna and tortilla

meal6: whey

That does not look like many cals, but then again I do not know your current weight and bf%.

I would use another protein source besides whey for the last meal of the day, due to the fast digestion/absorption of whey protein. Also get in some protein with your first meal of the day.