PDA

View Full Version : Daily calories

D-Tox
09-03-2003, 07:06 AM
is there a quick way to determine how many calories are needed per day? And if I don't workout or do active work in a particular day of the week, will my caloric requirements be lower?

As a reference, I'm 5'8" 185 with 18% bf (read: too much) at the moment.

The activities I do are lifting, mountain biking, and HIIT cardio (trying to lose fat while not losing much lean mass).

I'm trying to get a estimated number of calories needed in a day, so I can take off about 400-500 (correct?).

Thanks!

great site so far, btw...

D-Tox
09-03-2003, 08:15 AM
Oh, forgot to add this...according to fitday.com, it says my basal cals are 1928, with a total of 3182 (lifestyle + basal). Both numbers sound a little high...

I am 23 yrs old, btw.

bradley
09-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by D-Tox
is there a quick way to determine how many calories are needed per day?

Yes, just decrease your current daily calorie intake in small increments each week until you are losing ~1lb. per week.

And if I don't workout or do active work in a particular day of the week, will my caloric requirements be lower?

I usually take in less calories on off days because I do not consume a post workout shake.

I'm trying to get a estimated number of calories needed in a day, so I can take off about 400-500 (correct?).

That is a good estimate, but I would not drop all 500 cals at once. Slowly decrease your calories so as not to "shock" your body.

Oh, forgot to add this...according to fitday.com, it says my basal cals are 1928, with a total of 3182 (lifestyle + basal). Both numbers sound a little high...

I would not worry about the figures that fitday gives you, and I think the best use for fitday is tracking calories, not activities.

Welcome to WBB:)

geoffgarcia
09-05-2003, 12:41 AM
ballpark is going to be 2000-2300 I'd guess

I'm 5'10 182 and if I take in more than 2400 calories over a 5 day period I'll gain 1 lb, if I take in under 2000 for 5 days I'll lose 1 lb

this is with 30 minutes of gym time 3 of those days

Makaveli_786
09-08-2003, 07:11 AM
My policy is work out how much active you are and times your bodyweight by the either 22, 23 or 24... look below

If you weighed in at 200 pounds this is what you would have to do to work by this program.. Ok if your very active you times your bodyweight by 22..

22x200=4400,

If your fairly active you times your bodyweight by 23

23x200=4600

If your fairly unactive then you times your bodyweight by 24

24x200=4800.

These were my guide lines for bulking up and worked wonders... You also have to know where the calories come from but if your bulking up fat is also very important to your diet as it is impossible to bulk up and not gain fat... Your diet should consist of 40% carbs/40%protein and 20% fat.

If you take in 4800 calories a day thats 1920 calories from protein, 1920 calories from carbs and 960 calories from fat... I dont know anybody elses opinion on this but it worked absolute wonders for me and im still using it 8 months out.

Also this is for bulking up so I dont think it would work too well for somebody trying to lose weight.

A word of advice... dont increase your calories more than 500 a week or else your liver and other organs will struggle to deal with the workdload... if your taking 2000 calories a day and shoot up to 5000 you can bet half that comes out of your ass and the other half is wasted some other way... 300-500 a week is safe.

bradley
09-08-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Makaveli_786
My policy is work out how much active you are and times your bodyweight by the either 22, 23 or 24... look below

If you weighed in at 200 pounds this is what you would have to do to work by this program.. Ok if your very active you times your bodyweight by 22..

Bodyweight formulas are not very accurate, since they do not take into account metabolism, bf%, etc. Increasing daily calories in small increments until you are gaining the desired amount of weight would be the best route, and would also help to minimize fat gain.

A word of advice... dont increase your calories more than 500 a week or else your liver and other organs will struggle to deal with the workdload... if your taking 2000 calories a day and shoot up to 5000 you can bet half that comes out of your ass and the other half is wasted some other way... 300-500 a week is safe.

I agree that you should not increase calories too quickly, due to the increased probability that the calorie increase will result in fat gain.

Although your above statement is not accurate, and the body is very effecient at utilizing the calories that you consume. You are not going to lose any signifcant amount of calories through waste.

Makaveli_786
09-08-2003, 11:24 AM
LOL... good pointing out but ill tell you what makes me so sure im right

When I got into bodybuilding my calories went from around 1500 to 5000... In other words thats 5000 calories from lean protein shakes and meat(which ive always loved)... Anyway i put on about 4 pounds that month...

Next month came and i was on www.bodybuilding.com and I found an article which challenged me to go back to me normal amount of calories(1500) and work my way up... It took me about 5 weeks to get up to 5000 calories but i put on 14 pounds ;)

Makaveli_786
09-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Also when your bulking your not worried about the EXACT 100 percent amount of calories you take in.. you dont have to hire the best mathmetician on the planet to tell you you need to take in 2993.455434342 calories a day exactly 23775.6994 trilli-seconds apart from each other.

Its simple..... as long as it gets the job done it doesnt really matter how many billionths of a calorie you take in.

On top of all that everybodies metabolism is different... some people can eat 6000 calories a day and not gain mass(hard gainers) and some can look in a supermarket and pile on the pounds so calories would also depend on things other than bodyfat and top of all this.... does it matter if you take in 50 extra calories? :D

bradley
09-08-2003, 01:06 PM
LOL... good pointing out but ill tell you what makes me so sure im right

When I got into bodybuilding my calories went from around 1500 to 5000... In other words thats 5000 calories from lean protein shakes and meat(which ive always loved)... Anyway i put on about 4 pounds that month...

Next month came and i was on www.bodybuilding.com and I found an article which challenged me to go back to me normal amount of calories(1500) and work my way up... It took me about 5 weeks to get up to 5000 calories but i put on 14 pounds ;)

I am not seeing your point in the above statement.:)

Also when your bulking your not worried about the EXACT 100 percent amount of calories you take in.. you dont have to hire the best mathmetician on the planet to tell you you need to take in 2993.455434342 calories a day exactly 23775.6994 trilli-seconds apart from each other.

I never stated that the above was necessary, but there is a big difference between telling a 200lb. individual to eat at 22xbw (4400) cals, when all the actually need is 3500 to gain a small amount of weight each week. Do you not agree that it would make more sense to increase cals in small increments, as opposed to just increasing cals based on a formula?

I am not saying that the formulas will not work, but if you increases cal to quickly you will increase the chance that some of the weight you gain will be fat. When increasing cals in small increments, you can better judge your progress, and therefore minimize fat gain.

Its simple..... as long as it gets the job done it doesnt really matter how many billionths of a calorie you take in.

On top of all that everybodies metabolism is different... some people can eat 6000 calories a day and not gain mass(hard gainers) and some can look in a supermarket and pile on the pounds so calories would also depend on things other than bodyfat and top of all this.... does it matter if you take in 50 extra calories?

You really have offered no reasoning to back up your statements. A lot of things "will work," but I would usually go with what works the best and most effeciently.

Also you did not address your statement about food passing through the body undigested, which was actually the main point I wanted to convey in my original post.:)

Scott S
09-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Ok if your very active you times your bodyweight by 22..

If your fairly active you times your bodyweight by 23

If your fairly unactive then you times your bodyweight by 24

Dammit, "times" is NOT a verb!! :swear:

Besides, your formulae are backward. Less active people need FEWER calories.