PDA

View Full Version : When is the best time to take liquid fish oil?

NHBFAN
09-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Is it morning or bedtime? With or without food?

mikey4402
09-03-2003, 07:54 PM
with food thats all that matters

JuniorMint6669
09-03-2003, 10:39 PM
Definatly with food, including some fat. Eating with food will make it less likely that the fish oil gets oxidized and used as energy. I take half of mine in the morning and half at night, because I dont like taking so many pills at once. But another advantage with taking it at night time would be to further slow down the digestion of your last meal, making sure your body isnt starving so long while you sleep.

NHBFAN
09-04-2003, 06:40 PM
I've been only taking one teaspoon a day.

I'm using "Health from the Sun" Ultra Omega 3 fish oil.

geoffgarcia
09-05-2003, 12:22 AM
night and morning with serving of protein
what kind do you all take?
bottle or pill?

bradley
09-05-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
night and morning with serving of protein
what kind do you all take?
bottle or pill?

If you can take it with a meal that contains carbs and/or fat, then I would recommend taking it then. Taking it with carbs or fat will decrease the chances of the fish oil being oxidized as energy.

I use the fish oil caps just out of convenience, and I also do not care for the taste of liquid fish oil. Although either one will work just fine.

NHBFAN
09-05-2003, 06:43 AM
I think you have to take a lot more capsules to equal a teaspoon of liquid.

Something like 12 capsules = 1 teaspoon

bradley
09-05-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by NHBFAN
I think you have to take a lot more capsules to equal a teaspoon of liquid.

Something like 12 capsules = 1 teaspoon

Yes, and it would depend also on the amount of EPA/DHA the fish oil product contains.

One fish oil cap is generally 1g, so you would compare that with the amount contained in one teapsoon, tablespoon, etc. of the liquid.

NHBFAN
09-05-2003, 10:08 AM
The stuff I'm taking, "Ultra Omega 3 Fish Oil" by Health from the Sun has:

EPA 850MG + DPA 560MG
TOTAL Omega 3 = 1.5 g per teaspoon

JuniorMint6669

If you take fish oil without food it is oxidized (burned as food) before the healthy qualities are used? Is that how it works?

bradley
09-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by NHBFAN
If you take fish oil without food it is oxidized (burned as food) before the healthy qualities are used? Is that how it works?

There is a good chance that the fat (EFAs) will be used as an immediate energy source as opposed to making it to the cells where it is most beneficial.