PDA

View Full Version : heat/cooking and retention of efa content in foods

chops
09-03-2003, 07:26 PM
previously i thought that only flaxseed was heat sensitive, but today i read that all efa's are easily destroyed by heat/cooking.

how does this apply to cooked salmon which is well touted as a good efa/omega 3 source? or cooking with oils such as canola, for stir fry.

do i need to wait a certain time before eating/drinking hot food and beverages when i take my fish caps? i normally take them with my coffee.

bradley
09-04-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by chops
how does this apply to cooked salmon which is well touted as a good efa/omega 3 source?

Great question, and to be honest I never really thought about it.:scratch:

Anyway, I researched a little on the internet and various sites stated that approximately half of the n-3 fats would be lost due to cooking at high heats, but surprisingly microwaving the fish would have little impact on the n-3 content. Although the link below seems to state otherwise.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12577584&dopt=Abstract

Although it stands to reason that you are going to lose some of the beneficial fats when cooking. When broiling fish in the oven you will notice that some of the fat drains away from the meat, but overall I do not think it is something that you should be concerned with, especially since you are supplementing with fish oil.

or cooking with oils such as canola, for stir fry.

Usually canola oil is so processed that I really do not think it would have many beneficial fats, regardless of whether or not you used it for cooking. Although the general rule of thumb is to make sure and not heat the oil above it's smoking point, and I would recommend using olive oil over canola.

do i need to wait a certain time before eating/drinking hot food and beverages when i take my fish caps? i normally take them with my coffee.

Just to be on the safe side you might swallow the caps using water, and then have your coffee. I dount the coffee would be hot enough to cause any damage once the fish oil was already in your stomach.

chops
09-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Great question, and to be honest I never really thought about it.:scratch:

lol, hard to believe.

Anyway, I researched a little on the internet and various sites stated that approximately half of the n-3 fats would be lost due to cooking at high heats, but surprisingly microwaving the fish would have little impact on the n-3 content.

interesting. i would think that heat=heat regardless of the source.

Usually canola oil is so processed that I really do not think it would have many beneficial fats, regardless of whether or not you used it for cooking.

the typical diet is said to be n6 heavy due to canola/sunflower/oils,etc already being in foods...makes me question the extent of that if those oils used by food manufacturers are the same oils i see on my grocer's shelf. for roasted nuts in pb, that would mean some efa is destroyed too. just thinking outloud - that is surprising.

Just to be on the safe side you might swallow the caps using water, and then have your coffee.

will do.

thanks.