PDA

View Full Version : Protein before or after workout?

utah82
09-04-2003, 10:13 AM
I like to have a shake in the morning, but I've been reading that most people take their shake immediately after their workout. Does it make a difference?

phi67
09-04-2003, 10:25 AM
when i also started drinking shakes after my workout i noticed a difference in size and growth after a month.

Teufelhund
09-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Drink your shake immediately before, during, and/or immediately after your workout.

Hatred
09-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Yes,
Furthermore just hook up an Iv of whey and keep it flowing....
:D:D:D

EVER-LAST
09-04-2003, 12:05 PM
I take dextrose and whey right after a workout. I also take whey whenever I need to boost my protein for the day. Your goal should be to get most of your protein from food and the rest from supplements (whey).

twisteddendrite
09-04-2003, 01:04 PM
protein from solid foods two hours before workout. whey shake first thing in the morning and right after workout.

JMD1648
09-04-2003, 01:05 PM
you should have carb/protein before and after each workout. just read any flex mag dude

-TIM-
09-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Well there are different kind of proteins you should be taking and at different times. I know I'll be corrected if I get these mixed up, and please do. But I believe you should be taking in whey proteins right before and after your workouts and casein proteins when you get up in the morning. Whey proteins break down faster which is a plus for pre and post work outs because you need the protein pronto to jump start your recovery. And casein proteins break down at a slower pace and are good at the beginning of your day so you'll have the protein available for longer periods when your body isn't requiring fast digestion for recovery.

geoffgarcia
09-05-2003, 12:16 AM
take as much protein as you can all day, but its critical to take a protein + carb shake within 45 minutes of working out, its almost as important as sleep

bigedge
09-05-2003, 12:36 AM
i once read this, i dont know where and how far fetched it is but, if you eat right before your workout you wont get the most of your work out because your body is busy breaking down food and not all energy is focused on lifting

-TIM-
09-05-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by bigedge
i once read this, i dont know where and how far fetched it is but, if you eat right before your workout you wont get the most of your work out because your body is busy breaking down food and not all energy is focused on lifting

There's truth behind that statement. Most times if you take energy drinks or fast burning carbs an hour or so before your work out you'll have energy to make it through. I do find that having prolonged energy throughout the day depends on how well you ate the previous day. If I know I'm going to be envolved in a long activity, like playing 3 hours of basketball, then I'll be sure to eat healthy the day before.

TheGame
09-05-2003, 02:54 AM
You need to take in protein any time that you can. I take it before a work out, after a work out, in between meals, hell I would take it when I was sleeping if I could.

phi67
09-05-2003, 11:53 AM
if u take liquid protein/carb shake try to take it a minimum of 30 minutes before workout. 1.5 hours for solids. it is the minimum so if u absolutely have to then u can but not recommended. this gives the food time to get digested. i usually drink my shake within 30 min after a workout also.

Hercule
09-05-2003, 02:53 PM
I take it before and after-

Pre Workout-
25G Dextrose
25G Malto
45G Whey

Post Workout-
60G Dextrose
45G Whey

-TIM-
09-05-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Tim Nissen
And casein proteins break down at a slower pace and are good at the beginning of your day so you'll have the protein available for longer periods when your body isn't requiring fast digestion for recovery.

I was doing more reading on casein proteins today and I read that they're good to take before bed so they'll stick with you through out the night. I originally suggested when you get up so this is a revision to that statement.

SoulOfKoRea
09-05-2003, 03:58 PM
if you have the money, before and after.
if you don't have the money to spare on whey more than once a day, or if you eat a meal before working out, then after.

Feed Eric
09-06-2003, 10:16 AM
There are articles on this site that explain the best times to take protein shakes during a website. And for those who believe you should take "as much as you can" throughout the day, there are many researched studies saying >1.65/kg day for athletes won't produce greater effects.
-Eric

LAM
09-06-2003, 10:39 AM
I have protein/simple sugars before and after training. I also take BCAA's during the training session

Ebu
09-06-2003, 03:36 PM
I never take a pretein shake untill after I work out. The reason for this is when you eat a protein shake, lets say in the morning, your body can't use all of it productively, so much of the shake will turn into sugars. It is best to get protein from reagular foods like meat, PB, cottage cheese, etc. for the rest of the day, and protein shakes right after a workout.

LAM
09-06-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Ebu
I never take a pretein shake untill after I work out. The reason for this is when you eat a protein shake, lets say in the morning, your body can't use all of it productively, so much of the shake will turn into sugars. It is best to get protein from reagular foods like meat, PB, cottage cheese, etc. for the rest of the day, and protein shakes right after a workout.

that is not really correct.

protein will be only converted to glucose at a siginificant rate when serum glucose levels are low. and as far as how the body will utilize protein it can not tell the difference between amino acids derieved from a protein shake or a piece of steak

bradley
09-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by LAM

that is not really correct.

protein will be only converted to glucose at a siginificant rate when serum glucose levels are low. and as far as how the body will utilize protein it can not tell the difference between amino acids derieved from a protein shake or a piece of steak

I believe he is referring to whey in his statement.

Since whey protein digests so rapidly it causes an abundance of amino acids to be absorbed at once, and the body does not necessarily need all of these amino acids. The body highly regulates the free amino acid pool, so there is really no where for these excess aminos to be stored. Therefore the body will convert the excess amino acids into glucose, via gluconeogenesis, and the body will either use the glucose as an energy source or store the glucose as fat. Although the conversion of glucose into fat is not an effecient process in the body (de novo lipogenesis).

This is the main reason that whole food or casein would be better suited than whey, unless you are referring to post workout.

LAM
09-06-2003, 04:24 PM
there are tons of ways to slow gastric emptying and slow the release of amino acids from whey protein(s)

bradley
09-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by LAM
there are tons of ways to slow gastric emptying and slow the release of amino acids from whey protein(s)

I agree, but my statement was in reference to whey protein, not whey plus another macronutrient.

I did not see anything in your statement that made reference to a mixed meal that included whey protein.:)

Makaveli_786
09-08-2003, 07:30 AM
LOL your going to be too busy throwing up if you attempt to eat a big meal 2 hours after training... should be at least a 4 hour gap for a big meal and 2 hours for a smaller meal.