PDA

View Full Version : Measurement of tuna w/ & w/o water

hockeyplayer
09-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Hi, I am confused about the nutritional content of a drained can of tuna. On the side it lists the nutritional content for a 100g serving. The net weight of the can is 170g, but it says its drained weight is 120g. I am confused as to whether the nutritional information supplied for a 100g serving is 100g with or without water, as such I don't know if I should multiply the nutritional information by 1.7 (100g serving info for 170g can) or by 1.2 (100g serving info for 120g drained can) to find the nutritional value of eating a whole can of it drained. Anyone know if the nutritional info is with or without water? Is nutritional value lost in draining the water?
Thanks in advance.

JuniorMint6669
09-04-2003, 01:10 PM
150 calories a can. Dont think about it too much ;)

Gymgurl37
09-04-2003, 03:33 PM
I agree....just read the lable and apply it to the tuna and don't worry about the water content.

geoffgarcia
09-05-2003, 12:20 AM
while your looking for this info I recommend reading up on mercury levels in tuna and what that does to you:)

JuniorMint6669
09-05-2003, 09:46 AM
I recommend not thinking about mercury levels too much either. How many people do you know with mercury poisoning? Thats what I thought. And I bet you know a lot of people who eat tuna. My dad ate a lot of tuna when he was young. He's fine. I eat quite a bit of tuna, im fine. My mom, who works in the seafood industry, told me I would be fine eating it. :D mmm tuna and salsa on ww bread:drooling:

geoffgarcia
09-05-2003, 10:20 AM
JuniorMint6669
they were pretty sure smoking wouldn't kill you for quite a while also and they still argue that its ok for you:)

do I know anyone that has seen ill effects from smoking?
no
but I know a ton of people that smoke:)

just because everybody else is ignorant doesn't mean I have to be:)

tuna = mercury
thats a fact
mercury = bad for you
thats another fact
tuna = bad for you...well you do the math...

papaoso2k1
09-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
JuniorMint6669
they were pretty sure smoking wouldn't kill you for quite a while also and they still argue that its ok for you:)

do I know anyone that has seen ill effects from smoking?
no
but I know a ton of people that smoke:)

just because everybody else is ignorant doesn't mean I have to be:)

tuna = mercury
thats a fact
mercury = bad for you
thats another fact
tuna = bad for you...well you do the math...

Dammit man...all this **** makes me SICK!!!....."You shouldnt eat tuna because of mercury, you shouldnt eat veggies or fruit because of pesticides, you shouldnt eat meat, cheese or milk because of sat fat, you shouldnt eat chicken because of hormones, you shouldnt drink coke because its full of sugar and empty cals, you shoudnt drink diet coke because it has aspartame an it gives you cancer and ****s up your brain"....

Sh!T!!! THen what the **** can I eat
???:mad:

geoffgarcia
09-05-2003, 11:44 AM
you have to decide which are the worse evils.
I dont eat fruits, I wash my veggies, I dont drink any soda or take in any artificial sweetners (knowingly), and I eat farm raised chicken (not tyson, perdue)

things that are ok to eat are there, you just have to look for them

JuniorMint6669
09-05-2003, 01:46 PM
You dont know anyone who has smokers cough? You sure dont know many smokers. I've had relatives die of lung cancer. I know people who's athletic performance was shot to hell. Yet I know people who continue to smoke, despite the risk. So you are right, each has to make their own decision on what the worst evils are. And I believe mercury levels in tuna are nothing i have to worry about, based on what ive read.

It appears you are very paticular on what you eat, so I applaude you on that. But ill drink my diet coke and eat my tuna thank you very much.

TurboStu
09-05-2003, 10:01 PM
geoffgarcia:

Do you know what it is that they feed farm raised chickens? Have you looked closely at the chickens "food". That ain't too clean. Tuna does not necessarily contain mercury either! Now I'm a wlidlife biologist, not fisheries, but mercury is more often times found in inland freshwater bodies of water, tuna is an oceanic salt-water fish. The very trace amounts of mercury in tuna has not been proven to not occur semi-naturally. Now I don't mean to jump down your throat or anything, but do a little research, bc I think you got some of the facts mixed, some things you say are unhealthy ain't so bad, but some things you claim are like farm raised chicken are pretty bad, unless you control the variables yoruself and raise them yourself.

hockeyplayer:

It's tuna man, eat that **** up (good recipies on the recipe forum), good luck!

LAM
09-06-2003, 10:25 AM
canned tuna may not be "perfect" these days but it's still one of the best foods to eat. it's a 100x better than eating processed food items.

papaoso2k1
09-06-2003, 02:48 PM
im more worried about the sodium content of canned tuna

hockeyplayer
09-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Not that I think any of these statements are totally invalid, but in 11 replies you'd think at least one might contain an actual answer to my actual question.
I am not asking: "Are the mercury levels in tuna safe?" or "Should I eat tuna?" I am merely looking for some specific nutritional information for the purpose of tracking my diet. Thank you.

bradley
09-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by hockeyplayer
Not that I think any of these statements are totally invalid, but in 11 replies you'd think at least one might contain an actual answer to my actual question.
I am not asking: "Are the mercury levels in tuna safe?" or "Should I eat tuna?" I am merely looking for some specific nutritional information for the purpose of tracking my diet. Thank you.

Use the drained weight.:)

The water content of the canned tuna would not be included in the nutrition information.

hockeyplayer
09-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Use the drained weight.:)

The water content of the canned tuna would not be included in the nutrition information.

Thank You.

SquareHead
09-06-2003, 08:04 PM
I like tuna.