PDA

View Full Version : when to drink???



derK
09-04-2003, 06:53 PM
my friend just got me some whey protein stuff and i'm just wondering when i should drink that stuff. Before and after gym??? before gym and right before bedtime???

Thanks, Derek

geoffgarcia
09-05-2003, 12:22 AM
its mots important to take it post workout, then take 2-3 servings through the day (morning night works for most people!)

bradley
09-05-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by derK
my friend just got me some whey protein stuff and i'm just wondering when i should drink that stuff. Before and after gym??? before gym and right before bedtime???

Thanks, Derek

Whey protein is best used pre/post workout because of it's fast rate of digestion/absorption, but it is really not ideal for use at other times during the day.

If you can get the majority of your protein from whole food sources and then use the whey pre/post workout, then I would recommend doing so.

If you have trouble taking in enough protein throughout the day then you can use whey to help boost your protein intake, but make sure and mix it with milk or some fat to help slow the digestion of the whey.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=110

bradley
09-05-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
its mots important to take it post workout, then take 2-3 servings through the day (morning night works for most people!)

Whey would not be ideal before bed because of it's rapid rate of digestion, and casein or egg protein would be more suitable for a late night protein source.:)

Makaveli_786
09-08-2003, 08:26 AM
Does mixing whey with milk really slow down the absorption of the protein all together or is it a marketing scam by companies which only sell whey but want theyr supplement to look like it can do it all?

bradley
09-08-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Makaveli_786
Does mixing whey with milk really slow down the absorption of the protein all together or is it a marketing scam by companies which only sell whey but want theyr supplement to look like it can do it all?

Yes, the casein in milk will slow the digestion of the whey, but this is not the only way to slow gastric emptying.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=109