PDA

View Full Version : carbs make you feel full?



patrick0641
09-05-2003, 12:52 PM
I was just wondering if carbohydrates have any effect on feeling full or not when you eat? My before and after workout drink has dextrose/maltodextrin mix in it and after workout I use a full scoop and its like 50 grams of carbs. I feel really full after drinking it even though it's not much to drink when mixed with 8 oz of water. I also put a scoop of pro complex in with it. But is it the carbs that make me feel bloaded and full or is it just drinking it right after working out and stuff? Also, are calories the only thing to watch when trying not to put on fat? Or do carbs play a big role in it as well? Thanks..

SoulOfKoRea
09-05-2003, 01:13 PM
dietary fiber and complex carbs, yes

simple sugars, no

bradley
09-05-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by patrick0641
I was just wondering if carbohydrates have any effect on feeling full or not when you eat? My before and after workout drink has dextrose/maltodextrin mix in it and after workout I use a full scoop and its like 50 grams of carbs. I feel really full after drinking it even though it's not much to drink when mixed with 8 oz of water. I also put a scoop of pro complex in with it. But is it the carbs that make me feel bloaded and full or is it just drinking it right after working out and stuff?

Dextrose/maltodextrin can cause that bloated feeling, which is probably what you are experiencing.



Also, are calories the only thing to watch when trying not to put on fat? Or do carbs play a big role in it as well? Thanks..

Yes, total calorie balance will be the significant factor as to whether or not you gain weight, not carbs. Assuming that you are taking in enough protein and EFAs.:)

patrick0641
09-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Is a 50/35/15 balance okay? (protein, carbs, fat respectively) or should I add more to carbs or fat and take some protein away?

bradley
09-05-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by patrick0641
Is a 50/35/15 balance okay? (protein, carbs, fat respectively) or should I add more to carbs or fat and take some protein away?

I am assume you are referring to your macronutrient ratios over the course of the day?

I would set your protein intake at ~1g per lb. of bodyweight and fat intake should be ~25% of your daily calories (mostly from healthy sources). It really does not matter where the rest of your cals come from, and I would recommend playing with different amounts of fats and carbs to see what works best for you.

The above recommendation would also depend on your goals (overfeeding/cutting) and your current bf%.

Makaveli_786
09-08-2003, 08:21 AM
I would recommend about 40/40/20(protein, carbs and fat in that order) This was for my bulking phase and i eat nearly 5000 calories a day so if your looking to lose weight you might want to change that to your goals... No carbs after 5 if your trying to slim down.

bradley
09-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Makaveli_786
No carbs after 5 if your trying to slim down.

This is just a myth, and total calorie balance at the end of the day will be the determining factor as to whether you lose weight or not. If you are in a calorie deficit at the end of the day you will lose weight, regardless of whether or not you consume carbs in the evening.