PDA

View Full Version : "I can't believe it's not butter"

NHBFAN
09-05-2003, 04:39 PM
I believe the South Beach diet recommends "I can't believe it's not butter" for a butter substitute. Is supposed to be trans fat free.

Does anyone know about this product?

SquareHead
09-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Its yummie. That's all I know. I use probably way too much of it. I would be interested in knowing what it is.

SoulOfKoRea
09-05-2003, 05:22 PM
what are the ingredients?

chops
09-05-2003, 05:41 PM
http://www.icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com/faq.asp?section=faqTrans

Q: How can a product contain no trans fat and still have partially hydrogenated vegetable oil in the ingredients?

A: Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil describes a broad range of oils with varying degrees of hydrogenation or hardening. The trans fat levels in these oils vary from very little to higher amounts. As a result, some products qualify, according to FDA guidelines, for 0g trans fat per serving although they have as one of their components partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. Trans fat levels used for labeling are based on the total product composition, not only the fat portion.

==========================
i was curious too, tried to find ingredients list but it was not posted. noted if a product has less than 1/2 g fat per serving, it can be labeled as fat free. if the serving size is 1 ts, and u consume 3x that for 1tb, it would not be correct to say that it is zero fat.

the fat free spread - maybe its olestra which is a fat substitute that can't be absored by the body, which would make it fat free...or if they whipped a whole lotta air in there to plump of the volume and reduce the fat to under .5 per serving.

NHBFAN
09-05-2003, 06:01 PM
So is using this product a good idea?

bradley
09-06-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
what are the ingredients?

Liquid soybean, oil and partially hydrogenated soybean oil, water, sweet cream buttermilk, salt, vegetable mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, potassium sorbate and citric acid added as preservatives, Artificial flavor, colored with beta carotene, vitamin A (palmitate) added.

I believe these are the correct ingredients, but I am not sure how reliable the source is.

Have you thought about using a product like Smart Balance? http://www.smartbalance.com/product.html

I am sure the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter would be fine to use, and I doubt that small amount of hydrogenated soybean oil is going to make any significant difference.