PDA

View Full Version : Arnold says no more than 3 eggs a day??

Spawn
09-06-2003, 10:09 AM
okay, i got that from MSN. a lot of the protein i intake comes from whole eggs, maybe 4-5 in one day - always scrambled.

so is 3 whole eggs really the limit? the problem's the yolk isn't it?

can someone get back to me asap.....thanks.

ps- i ran a search, but there's just too many egg threads

LAM
09-06-2003, 10:18 AM
last time I checked Arnod was neither a doctor or scientist who would actually know such things. he talks out of his ass a lot in regards to sports nutrition, most of what he says is based on his opinion and not medical fact...

GonePostal
09-06-2003, 10:24 AM
Works for him might not work for you. Science is the most impartial source of info we go so far so I would take it's word over Arnolds.

mikey4402
09-06-2003, 10:28 AM
arnold says alot of things...

bradley
09-06-2003, 01:45 PM
4-5 whole eggs a day will be fine.:)

The yolk contains the fat and cholesterol of the egg, which is the reason that some people discard the yolk. Even though the yolk does contain fat, it also contains vitamins, minerals and approximately half the protein of the egg.

As was previously mentioned the 3 eggs a day limit is old lore, and I do not know of any science backing up the claim.

RoidRage
09-06-2003, 01:46 PM
maybe with the combo of the drugs and extra cholestrol its not good for him and other pros (i mean walking pharmacies).

thetopdog
09-06-2003, 06:45 PM
The thing I don't get about setting limits on eggs (I've even heard that you should limit eggs to 3 a week!) is why focus only on the cholesterol from eggs? If the cholesterol is really the problem, wouldn't the rest of the diet be a concern too?

Surely someone who eats 5 eggs a day as part of a well balanced diet will be healthier than someone who eats only 2 eggs a week but pigs out on McDonalds the rest of the time. I don't see how the cholesterol in eggs is any different than the cholesterol in any other food. Is there some special reason to limit eggs that I'm just not understanding?

SquareHead
09-06-2003, 06:46 PM
No it's just crapy logic.

tankdogg
09-07-2003, 03:20 AM
Half the protein is in the yolk!!!! Here's me discarding the yolk everytime thinking it's only made of fat and the white has all the protein!

arjun
09-07-2003, 03:35 AM
Yeah, the yolk has a lot of protein, but it also has good mono and poly unsaturated fats, and good HDL cholesterol, among other nutritious things. There is a very good article on eating whole eggs on this website.

Plus, eggs are not nearly as good without the yolk. If your really concerned about the cholesterol (since there isnt much unsaturated fat in the yolk), then keep the yolk in three of the eggs you eat, then eat the other 2-3 without it.

Terminator-850
09-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Dude...Guys like Jay Cutler eat about a carton of eggs a day......Bill Pearl says eating the whole egg is prefered since it balances out the hdl and ldl cholesterol levels....they both are relative to one another. Too high in one brings the other lower and vice versa....so balance means eating the whole egg....whole eggs are good for you...and 3 a day is not a limit, and in my opinion not even enough for a good protien intak.....I eat close to 8 a day.

bradley
09-07-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by arjun
Plus, eggs are not nearly as good without the yolk. If your really concerned about the cholesterol (since there isnt much unsaturated fat in the yolk), then keep the yolk in three of the eggs you eat, then eat the other 2-3 without it.

There is more unsaturated fat in the yolk than there is saturated fat.

Spawn
09-07-2003, 07:02 AM
good stuff, thanks :thumbup:. i was actually quite reluctant to consume any eggs for a couple of days because of that :rolleyes:

okay, so i'm gonna consume 5-6 eggs now...would there be any benefit to eating them all at once, or separating their intake somewhat? like, say eat the 3 in the morning the other 3 at night? i'm just thinking, 5-6 in one go could be...i dunno, unhealthy?? my friend reckons if u take in your eggs in the morning you can burn the fats during the day or something - any truth to that?

ChrisH
09-07-2003, 07:48 AM
Some of the diets i've seen have something like:
6 whites, 3 yolks in the morning
4 whites later on in the day (afternoon/night)

One little question about eggs though. Do they have any effects on crapping?

bradley
09-07-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Spawn
okay, so i'm gonna consume 5-6 eggs now...would there be any benefit to eating them all at once, or separating their intake somewhat? like, say eat the 3 in the morning the other 3 at night? i'm just thinking, 5-6 in one go could be...i dunno, unhealthy?? my friend reckons if u take in your eggs in the morning you can burn the fats during the day or something - any truth to that?

It really does not matter when you eat your eggs, and total calories at the end of the day will be the determining factor as to whether or not you gain weight.:)

bradley
09-07-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by ChrisH
One little question about eggs though. Do they have any effects on crapping?

If you are taking in adequate amounts of fiber, then you should not have any problems, but this true with all diets and not just those that contain eggs.

Some people experience gas, when consuming large amounts of egg/egg whites, but this is something that would vary from person to person.

Terminator-850
09-07-2003, 07:25 PM
My gas is so bad that people have to tape thier windows and make a safe room in thier house. Its so bad Tom Ridge has federal guidelines in place to combat an outbreak.

I get the worst gas from egg consumption.:eek:

Ebu
09-07-2003, 08:02 PM
So, I eat eggs everyday too. What I usually do is have three, with only one of the yolks. Is the white JUST proteins? What else is contained in the white?
I used to just eat egg whites, but recently I started with one yolk.

JuniorMint6669
09-07-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by bradley

This is the breakdown for 1 large egg white (~33g)

Water g 28.898
Energy kcal 17.160
Energy kj 71.280
Protein g 3.597
Total lipid (fat) g 0.056
Ash g 0.208
Carbohydrate, by difference g 0.241

Spawn
09-08-2003, 03:02 AM

It really does not matter when you eat your eggs, and total calories at the end of the day will be the determining factor as to whether or not you gain weight.:)

well, my question really revolves around the health factor. i'm just concerned because my mother has a bad heart and high blood pressure to go with it. so i'm really just looking out for myself while i still can. i'm 19.

bradley
09-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Spawn

well, my question really revolves around the health factor. i'm just concerned because my mother has a bad heart and high blood pressure to go with it. so i'm really just looking out for myself while i still can. i'm 19.

Good thinking, and being health conscious at an early age is a good way to prevent health problems in the future. Although when you eat your eggs is not going to make any significant difference.:)

Makaveli_786
09-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Arnold also says 70 bicep burls 3 times a week(not literally :D )... what works for professionals wont work for me and you. Arnold is a great bodybuilder because he really did bring the spotlight to the iron game but damn the shet that worked for Arnold almost seems alien to what me, you and even other bodybuilders do!!!

hemants
09-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Approximately 15% of people have a problem with high intakes of dietary cholesterol. that's why they make the recommendation to limit egg yolk intake to the general population.

I'd say if you're young and healthy, go for it, eat as many eggs as you like and then get your cholesterol checked once a year.

Woz
09-08-2003, 04:16 PM
It has been known for quite a while now that there it is very unlikely to be a problem with egg cholesterol.
Eggs can be hard to digest (causing gas) but if they are eaten raw or soft they will be digested easier.

Dr Mercola. Raw eggs (http://www.mercola.com/2002/nov/13/eggs.htm)

bradley
09-08-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Woz
Dr Mercola. Raw eggs (http://www.mercola.com/2002/nov/13/eggs.htm)

Why would you want to eat raw eggs, unless you are allergic to them? If you are allergic to eggs then there are plenty of other good sources of protein to choose from.

That article really gives no reason to consume raw eggs IMO.

MrWebb78
09-08-2003, 04:41 PM
the taste alone is the reason to not consume raw eggs

eatdirt40
09-08-2003, 05:19 PM
damn whoever eats raw eggs has got some pretty big balls..... thats frekin grose.. i eat my eggs fried yum yum with 4 slices of wheat bread

Spawn
09-08-2003, 08:41 PM

Good thinking, and being health conscious at an early age is a good way to prevent health problems in the future. Although when you eat your eggs is not going to make any significant difference.:)

cool, thanks. ;)

Woz
09-08-2003, 11:55 PM
If raw eggs are held under a hot tap for a minute they taste exactly the same as boiled eggs.
Why would you want to eat raw eggs, unless you are allergic to them? If you are allergic to eggs then there are plenty of other good sources of protein to choose from.
I do not digest them well if I eat them cooked. I have to eat a lot of food for someone my size and raw eggs are a convenient way of getting the calories and protein. I have to spend my entire 30-40 minute tea breaks eating and still get hungry. If I was drinking a protein shake (none of which I can tolerate that I know of) not many people would say that I could get the protein elsewhere but mention raw eggs and people are desperate to find reasons why I should not have them.

Woz
09-09-2003, 12:08 AM
If raw eggs are held under a hot tap for a minute they taste exactly the same as boiled eggs.
Why would you want to eat raw eggs, unless you are allergic to them? If you are allergic to eggs then there are plenty of other good sources of protein to choose from. The article gives no good reason to consume raw eggs IMO Perhaps you just need to look at it again. If you changed all the words "egg" and "eggs" and replaced them with "chicken breast" or "protein shake" I am sure a lot of people would think the article gave plenty of good reasons to eat them.
I do not digest cooked eggs well. I have to eat a lot of food for someone my size and raw eggs are a convenient way of getting the calories and protein. I have to spend my entire 30-40 minute tea breaks eating and still get hungry before my next break. If I was drinking a protein shake (none of which I can tolerate that I know of) not many people would say that I could get the protein elsewhere but mention raw eggs and people are desperate to find reasons why I should not have them.

ChrisH
09-09-2003, 01:59 AM
But if you replaced 'egg' with chicken then we'd be talking about raw chicken, and noone eats that. :O
Raw eggs are a lot easier, but the risk of salmonella is too much for me. Someone on the board got it a while ago i think.

arjun
09-09-2003, 02:08 AM
eatdirt: whole wheat or just plain wheat? Most plain wheat breads arent much better than your bleached white bread.

bradley
09-09-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Woz

I still have my doubts as to whether you can deactivate the protein avidin by just running hot tap water over the egg, and if the protein avidin is not deactivated you are losing some of the protein contained in the egg.

For an egg white to be cooked I would think that it would need to be white and not clear, as is the case with raw eggs, although if you have a reference that states running the egg under hot water will deactivate avidin I would be interested in reading it.

Perhaps you just need to look at it again. If you changed all the words "egg" and "eggs" and replaced them with "chicken breast" or "protein shake" I am sure a lot of people would think the article gave plenty of good reasons to eat them.

This statement has nothing to do with the topic of raw eggs.

I do not digest cooked eggs well. I have to eat a lot of food for someone my size and raw eggs are a convenient way of getting the calories and protein. I have to spend my entire 30-40 minute tea breaks eating and still get hungry before my next break. If I was drinking a protein shake (none of which I can tolerate that I know of) not many people would say that I could get the protein elsewhere but mention raw eggs and people are desperate to find reasons why I should not have them.

I was just stating reasons as to why raw eggs are not the best source of calories, and you can just as easily get the calories you need from something as simple as a pb sandwich and a glass of milk.;)

arjun
09-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Yeah, add honey with the pb sandwich. I believe honey gives your body that same slow burning sugar that fruit does, though im not clear on that.

Woz
09-09-2003, 09:48 AM
I can't eat peanuts, bread (wheat) or milk because I'm intolerant to them.
I have the eggs in the morning after a large starchy carb feed (usualy millet) Breakfast usualy takes at least 45mins to eat as it is so the raw eggs are very convenient because I can eat them quickly. I work in construction and find that if I eat nuts, meat or fish before or at work it doesn't digest very quickly and will give me problems for the rest of the day. I usualy only eat starches through the day at work for that reason.
I'll see if I can find out more about the avidin for you.

Woz
09-09-2003, 10:53 AM
ChrisH, you got me there. I should have said substitute the words "raw eggs and raw egg"
I don't let the salmonella issue bother me. I had mercury poisoning from eating a lot of tuna but are you going to stop eating that as well? Trouble is, if you start eliminating a lot of stuff your food can get very boring or you can set yourself up for future allergies by eating the same thing too much too often which is sometimes the case with chicken. (hahaha, something else for everyone to stop eating)

Terminator-850
09-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Eggs are a good source of protein, but they are still quite inefficient for the grams they contain per egg. 6 grams of protein per egg makes them a good source but not a great source. Thier cheapness however makes them a great source...1.80$ per carton of 18 i get them for. But Woz if you are intolerant of eggs, or have a hard time digesting them, as well as protein shakes, Id reccomend white albacore tuna But if you got Mercury poisoning then I guess you should take it easy on tuna....Although a can packs a whopping 36-40 grams of protein.

How did you know you got Mercury poisoning, what were the symptoms? I have read articles stating that tuna can give you that and to limit tuna to 2 cans a week but I need more protein than that.

Woz
09-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Terminator, every week I buy 200grams (6-7 oz) of fresh tuna, a beef steak, 1 kilo of wild salmon, loads of eggs, nuts, seeds and more fish like trout, halibut etc. As you can tell, I like fish. It is fairly easily digested but as I have said before I don't digest it well while working. I get 2 x 1/2 hour breaks at work at which I eat continuosly. I then may have to do a lot of shovelling or whatever. Even if I only have to drive a digger the shaking about disturbs my digestion. The eggs are a quickly digested food I can have in the morning before work. I can get 1/2 doz. down my neck no problem and I think they have about 5-7 grams protein per egg (help me Bradley) so that's not a bad quantity first thing in the morning. I may start having more.
I don't eat canned foods because unfortunately I am intolerant to the lining in them. This makes things every thing a lot more expensive for me I can tell you and a lot less convenient. Mind you fresh food tastes better doesn't it?
Mercury poisoning. This took a while to find out because it creeps up on you gradualy. I had been getting more and more tired all the time. I started getting diahrea (sorry to mention that while talking about food) and a lot of pains in my belly. The mercury combines with the hydrochloric acid in the stomach to form mercury hydrochloride. Hydrochloric acid helps to digest food, mercury hydrochloride doesn't. I went to a Clinical Nutritionist and she took some tests and diagnosed the problem. It took a while to get rid of and really puts a large dent in your gains.

bradley
09-10-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Woz
The eggs are a quickly digested food I can have in the morning before work. I can get 1/2 doz. down my neck no problem and I think they have about 5-7 grams protein per egg (help me Bradley) so that's not a bad quantity first thing in the morning.

A large egg contains ~6g of protein.;)

Have you considered shakes/MRPs as a protein source?

technogeeky
09-10-2003, 08:22 AM
What kind of fats are good, which are bad?

Is saturated generally the one you want to watch out for, and unsaturated are good?

bradley
09-10-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by technogeeky
What kind of fats are good, which are bad?

Is saturated generally the one you want to watch out for, and unsaturated are good?

You do want some saturated fat in your diet, but in general monounsaturated and polyunsaturated are the ones that are considered "healthy."

Trans-fats are the fat that you should try and minimize.

Big o Boy
09-10-2003, 09:11 AM
All this egg talk, and I don't even like em! I can stand fried eggs or scrambled... but do you get the same amount of good nutrition with those? Or is the protien just like "cooked" out of them? :)

Woz
09-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Bradley, I can' tolerate any protein shakes or MRP's that I know of. They all seem to contain milk products, soy or maltodextrin (or a combination of) I can't have any of those things. Last time I had an MRP just before work one morning. I was driving to work and was stopped at a junction and felt like I might belch. Next thing I knew the most fierce belch I have ever heard in my life came rocketing from my stomach and bought with it a very large helping of MRP with it that came flying out of my mouth and nostrils. It burned my nose and mouth like crazy. It was horrible. As you will probably understand I will never have one of those again for the rest of my life. The problem was that it contained maltodextrin.

Spartacus
09-10-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Woz
Bradley, I can' tolerate any protein shakes or MRP's that I know of. They all seem to contain milk products, soy or maltodextrin (or a combination of) I can't have any of those things. Last time I had an MRP just before work one morning. I was driving to work and was stopped at a junction and felt like I might belch. Next thing I knew the most fierce belch I have ever heard in my life came rocketing from my stomach and bought with it a very large helping of MRP with it that came flying out of my mouth and nostrils. It burned my nose and mouth like crazy. It was horrible. As you will probably understand I will never have one of those again for the rest of my life. The problem was that it contained maltodextrin.

can you tolerate soy protein if it isn't penut contaminated? you could get pure soy protein.

also, i have seen rice protein and "vegetable" protein shakes. you could mix those with some raw oats for a quick shake.

Woz
09-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Thanks Spartacus. I can't have soy protein drinks because they are contaminated with soy. Hahaha.

I have never seen the other drinks that you mentioned. Mind you I don't look anymore. I will have a look out for them now though. I would have to carefully read the ingredients though. Anyone had any success with them?
(btw, I can't eat oats either but I get your point)

AllUp
09-10-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Woz
I do not digest them well if I eat them cooked. I have to eat a lot of food for someone my size and raw eggs are a convenient way of getting the calories and protein. I have to spend my entire 30-40 minute tea breaks eating and still get hungry. If I was drinking a protein shake (none of which I can tolerate that I know of) not many people would say that I could get the protein elsewhere but mention raw eggs and people are desperate to find reasons why I should not have them.

Yeah most protein tastes like crap. EAS is one of the best tasting IMHO(Get the vanilla). Designer is good whey too, but the extra vitamins, amino's, etc make it taste tart like you dropped a grinded multivitamin in it or something. :(

Woz
09-10-2003, 01:29 PM
When say "I can't tolerate..." It means my body can not handle that particular thing. It's similar to allergy. It's called "Food Intolerance" I may find something very tasty but that does not mean I will tolerate it. I do have a milk allergy as well so no whey for me.

bradley
09-10-2003, 01:34 PM
What about egg protein? Problem solved;)

bradley
09-10-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Big o Boy
All this egg talk, and I don't even like em! I can stand fried eggs or scrambled... but do you get the same amount of good nutrition with those? Or is the protien just like "cooked" out of them? :)

You actually get more protein in a cooked egg as compared to an uncooked egg, as previously discussed in the thread.

Woz
09-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Bradley, I had thought about egg protein but I am very unsure about it because as I said before I can't handle cooked eggs. I am assuming that egg protein is "cooked" in some sort of fashion to make it in to a powder? The pains I have had from just one cooked egg before make me reluctant to try.

volcamp
09-11-2003, 06:46 AM
"That which does not kill you will make you strong".

Holto
09-11-2003, 08:42 AM
egg protein powder should not upset your stomach

it's very different from eggs cooked or raw

the vegi protein is expensive compared to whey and I have only seen 1lb'ers

Woz
09-11-2003, 09:22 AM
Ok Holto, you have talked me in to it but if I get a belly ache I'm blaming you. ;)

bradley
09-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Holto
egg protein powder should not upset your stomach

it's very different from eggs cooked or raw

All of the egg allergy diets that I have seen recommend against egg protein. I ran a quick search on google after Woz reminded me of his egg allergy, so I would be leary of consuming egg protein. Again this is just a recommendation as I am sure this could vary from person to person.

Woz
09-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Bradley I don't have an egg allergy (although I do have some allergies) I just don't digest cooked eggs very well. Too much pain. The fella that said about the avidin and hot water has found the link. All we need to do now is ask Poliquin wher he got the info.

http://www.charlespoliquin.net/ask-the-guru/archives/02/07/ask-the-guru-advice-19.html

bradley
09-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Woz
Bradley I don't have an egg allergy (although I do have some allergies) I just don't digest cooked eggs very well. Too much pain. The fella that said about the avidin and hot water has found the link. All we need to do now is ask Poliquin wher he got the info.

http://www.charlespoliquin.net/ask-the-guru/archives/02/07/ask-the-guru-advice-19.html

If I am reading the abstract below correctly, avidin denatures at ~75 degrees, and if so this confirms your statement about the tapwater.

http://www.biophysj.org/cgi/content/abstract/71/2/840

If so I stand corrected.:)

Woz
09-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks Bradley. I couldn't understand a word of it. :D
Well, I'm pleased about the eggs anyway. It's amazing how simple some things can be isn't it? I can't eat almonds with the skin on without a lot of digestive distress but if I just dip them in boiling water for a few seconds or soak them overnight and take the skin off I can binge on them.

Shankerr
09-11-2003, 01:09 PM
I ate 8 whole eggs for breakfast, and another 4 hardboiled with 8oz of chicken for lunch, and I'm still alive, and bigger than you ;) hehe

Don't worry about it, listen to your body. All the research and cut-and-pasting in the world will never add up to a few weeks of experimenting with your diet for a few weeks and noting the different efects. pay close attention to your GI tract and energy levels on different diet compositions. If your body can only handle 3 whole eggs a day, then eat that many. If it can handle a dozen, knock yourself out.

restless
09-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by SquareHead
No it's just crapy logic.

It doesn't even qualify as logic.

garhi
04-16-2004, 05:34 PM
" By J. Mercola, D.O.

As many of you know, I am a fond proponent of using raw eggs as a major food in your diet. "

the article doesn't give any reason to eat raw eggs? uh..huh?

wrestlemaniac
04-17-2004, 03:29 PM
isn't there more protien in cooked eggs than raw eggs?

Holto
04-17-2004, 04:20 PM
yes

Exnor
04-18-2004, 05:15 AM
I was under the impression one should only eat up to 5 whole eggs a week. Judging from the general opinion in this thread, it is safe to consume much more.

I will now raise my consumption of whole eggs from a maximum of 3 a week to now a maximum of 10-12 a week.

http://www.yourpurelife.co.uk/articles/membs/eggs.html

JTyrell710
04-18-2004, 08:48 AM

buddy that is the funniest story i have head in a while

MDN
04-20-2004, 06:28 AM
i was always brought up to believe that you were only to have 2 eggs per week, due to the cholestrol.

then i hear its ok to eat an egg a day.

by age 14 i ignored everyone else's bull****, ate as many as i felt like. Im now 22, and obviously healthy. And still have the habit. Its better then smoking considering im a former smoker....of both kinds :)

dxiw
04-21-2004, 05:04 PM
I have his 18 year old book encyclopedia of bodybuilding from when he was a pro... some of the shakes in the diet section he has are 12eggs so i dunno what ur talking about