PDA

View Full Version : Protein shakes

dyslexic_banana
09-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Is it a good idea to have one before bed, and as soon as you get up? Also, can protein shakes be bad for you? Is there a sensible limit as to the number of protein shakes one should have in a day?

RoidRage
09-07-2003, 12:21 AM
I'd limit protein shakes to morning, pre-workout, and post-workout. Only because thats the only times you really need fast absorbtion of protein. And its better to consume whole foods.

WiNgS
09-07-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by RoidRage
I'd limit protein shakes to morning, pre-workout, and post-workout. Only because thats the only times you really need fast absorbtion of protein. And its better to consume whole foods.

yea true but i down a shake before bed because im lazy and it helps meet my daily protein requirements

bradley
09-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by WiNgS

yea true but i down a shake before bed because im lazy and it helps meet my daily protein requirements

If you are going to have a shake before bed, whey would not be the best choice. Although whey with milk would be fine, since the casein will help slow the digestion of the whey.

pruneman
09-07-2003, 06:58 AM
Protein shakes are great, but I'm a firm believer that real food is better. I usually only have a protein shake (whey/dextrose) directly after I workout because it is very easily absorbed or if I am very busy and can't get to real food. Protein shakes can also be a good source of easy calories if you are having trouble getting enough calories each day, but I still think that whole food is better.

Meat_Head
09-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Eat one an hour or 2 before a workout and 1 or 2 hours before you go to bed. These are the best times for absorbtion and use of the proteins.

bradley
09-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by xMeat_Headx
Eat one an hour or 2 before a workout and 1 or 2 hours before you go to bed. These are the best times for absorbtion and use of the proteins.

Why would absorption be greater at these two times, and what protein are you referring to (whey, casein, egg, etc.)?

theomen
09-07-2003, 05:40 PM
I like to hit a protein shake 1-2 times a day, as it's a low cal treat. I also take in 2 mass gainer shakes a day after each workout.

For a bed time protein shake, I do it with milk and natty peanut butter.

eatdirt40
09-07-2003, 07:16 PM
i have one before bed with milk and its slow digesting and helps prevent catibolism.... haha however u spell that word

Makaveli_786
09-08-2003, 06:51 AM
One before a workout to keep you a lil hyped and get the right nutrition in you, two for meal replacements, one after a workout and one before i sleep so it reduces catabolism while i sleep... also the Growth Hormone active while you sleep makes good use of the protein.(Try to take something with complex carbs about 45 minutes before working out because it puts yo muscle into a state of anabolism and increases energy amongst other good things... amazing when combined with creatine!!!)