PDA

View Full Version : how many times a week?

eatdirt40
09-07-2003, 03:42 PM
How many times a week should you train each muscle group for best strengh results

Xand
09-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Once.

eatdirt40
09-07-2003, 04:03 PM
i was doing some research and people were saying once a week was not enough, right now i have been doing each body part once a week and have been making some gains , but i didnt no if twice a week would be better.

Scott S
09-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Westside trains each group twice a week.

unshift
09-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Scott S
Westside trains each group twice a week.

i wouldn't really recommend westside to most people though. it's really overwhelming for the average lifter, i'd say (in terms of amount of dedication required)

anyway, to answer the question, i have separate days for squat/bench/DL. a lot of leg muscles get hit on all days though (i toss some olympic lifting in the routine as well)

Scott S
09-07-2003, 10:47 PM
Sure, I was just giving it as an example of a more strength-centered routine.

I may try Westside someday, but I'm fully aware that I'm not experienced enough for it yet.

noraa
09-08-2003, 01:01 AM
Twice is good

(2 bench days, 2 lower body ie squat deadlift days)

eatdirt40
09-08-2003, 04:14 PM
does anyone have any research or info that states there theory to which is better once of twice a week?

Dedicated
09-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Everyone workouts differently I think. Some people hit the same muscles once a week, others 2x a week, and still others 3x a week.

All my friends, well those that do workout, do full body 3x a week but none of them are really serious lifters. They are all bigger than me and lift alot more than me so it must work.

I workout each muscle once a week, but I'm really considering going to 3x a week. I might try HST still thinking on it, here is a link if you are interested. They have a forum also and from what I was reading people see great results. Then again people see results working out the same muscles once a week also hehe.
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

I think that any method works, as long as you don't overtrain, work hard, and keep adding weight, etc. But when it comes to which is better I can't say cause I'm not experienced enough. Goodluck man.

unshift
09-08-2003, 06:24 PM
whats HST have to do with powerlifting?

Dedicated
09-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by unshift
whats HST have to do with powerlifting?
I dunno I don't know anything about powerlifting.

unshift
09-08-2003, 07:01 PM
why are you replying to threads regarding it then? :)

Dedicated
09-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Woops sorry didn't know the question was specific to powerlifting. Just saw strength and figured that was getting bigger/stronger. But yea this is the powerlifting forum your right heh.

Paul Stagg
09-08-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by eatdirt40
How many times a week should you train each muscle group for best strengh results

It depends. What kind of strength? What goals?

john26
09-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by unshift
[B]

i wouldn't really recommend westside to most people though. it's really overwhelming for the average lifter, i'd say (in terms of amount of dedication required)

on the contrary, westside is very "light" in comparison to numerous powerlifting routines and methods. it's very easy to follow if you know how to listen to your body.

if you want overwhelming, go metal militia. in terms of volume, and volume of work in the 80%+ range westside looks like kids play in comparison, even when acknowledging that MM doesn't do lower body work.

eatdirt40
09-10-2003, 05:33 PM
my goals are to get bigger and increase strengh

Paul Stagg
09-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Westside dedicaiton has more to do with knowing what your weaknesses are, not so much the volume of work. (Although, if you think the 'light' DE days are somehow easy I'm a little confused - the hardest workout of the week by far is DE squatting)

dirt - you need to be a little more specific than get bigger and stronger. bigger for what? stronger for what? Do you want to be a PLer? Train to be better at baseball? Compete as a bodybuilder?

My basic suggestion for you is to us a basic training split with compound movements, occasionally testing your limits, and including a great deal of GPP (running, jumping, climbing, swimming, etc, etc). How you structure that will be more about your personal preference than anything else.

john26
09-11-2003, 09:36 AM
oh yea.. DE squats murder me

eatdirt40
09-14-2003, 05:45 PM
im going to stick with once a week for each body part

silles
09-14-2003, 10:18 PM
You're going to stick with being mediocre. There is no way hitting a body part once per week, ad infinitum, is optimal for any goals of training.

Blitzforce
09-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Train as heavy as possible, as often as possible, while staying as fresh as possible." Dr. Vladimir Zatsiorsky

ElPietro
09-15-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by silles
You're going to stick with being mediocre. There is no way hitting a body part once per week, ad infinitum, is optimal for any goals of training.

I'm pretty sure he didn't say he's going to stick with once per week for the rest of his life, so this statement doesn't really help or mean much.

You can certainly make quite a big of progress training bodyparts once per week.

You can get away with more volume in your workout, try to at least have a few near maximal sets and workout with a lot of intensity. To achieve your goals you'll also need to consume quite a few calories, more than you probably expect. Don't shy away from anything, carbs, protein and fat all will be your friend while trying to add size and strength.

Try to keep your heaviest sets to the major compound lifts, and maybe you could try basing your program around these lifts.

I think the program I enjoyed most a while back was something like a pull/legs/push/deadlift routine. You don't have to have a seperate deadlift day, if deadlifts aren't that important. I can't remember if that was the exact order, but you can sorta experiment the first few weeks and find what you like best.

I wouldn't recommend just taking a program and following it word for word without trying it first. Give it a few weeks, and then evaluate what you like/don't like, or what lifts seem to interfere with other lifts on days following. Then you can make the necessary adjustments.

But you will have to eat more to facilitate achieving your goals.

eatdirt40
09-16-2003, 05:02 PM
im eating 3500 calories a day and gainined about 1 a week. im seeing good size results so far thought.

P.s- hurt my elbow... its hurting me the last week and i think im taking a week off from ne exercised that bother this so it will heal