PDA

View Full Version : Whole chickens

Darcy Tucker
09-07-2003, 03:47 PM
I'm talking about the kind served at swiss chalet and the ones you can buy pre cooked at grocery stores. I think they are "rotisserie". If you take off the skin is it as healthy as buying a box of chicken breasts? I realize some parts of the chicken leaner than others.

MrWebb78
09-07-2003, 03:52 PM
the breast is always the same as buying them by themselves.

the darker meat has a lil more fat, but still worth buying in my opinion. decent price combined with no cooking effort...makes em worth it

Mik
09-07-2003, 05:09 PM
When I was bulking I had a whole chicken from Swiss Chalet every Friday night. I miss those days. Mmmmmmmmm whole chicken.

JuniorMint6669
09-07-2003, 11:15 PM
I ate whole chickens from albertsons when i was doing keto. Made it bareable, and for only $4.50.

Of course it may vary, but i believe fitday has dark meat at 60 calories per ounce, and white meat at 45 calories per ounce. So its not quite the same as just buying chicken breasts.

Makaveli_786
09-08-2003, 07:47 AM
Try buying a chicken with indian spices on it from a restaurant... will cost you more but its almost addictive and high as hell in protein... you wont want to stop eating it... uhmmmm. :drooling:

chops
09-08-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Makaveli_786
indian spices on it from a restaurant... will cost you more but its almost addictive and high as hell in protein... you wont want to stop eating it... uhmmmm. :drooling:

chicken = chicken..all the same protein, regardless of the spices tho

u must mean tandoori? otherwise, all the chicken dishes i've had at indian places are smothered in tasty BUT heavy oily and sweet sauces. tiki masala...uhmmm.

Makaveli_786
09-08-2003, 11:40 AM
Interesting but have you ever noticed the same size eggs have different nutritional value?

Well this is based on what the chicken is fed... If the chicken is fed any old crap when it lays it eggs thats what the egg will emulate what the chicken was fed....

They say you are what you eat and its likewise with the chicken... the guy at the restaurant used to sell this chicken that had me buffed up after 3 months... too much chicken stuck to my taste buds though.

MasturNate
09-08-2003, 12:15 PM
i think they salt the hell out of those chickens, so those who watch their sodium intake, beware.:)

geoffgarcia
09-12-2003, 12:41 PM
ur body can only take in so much protein in a time period, 30-50g is ok every 3 hours but taking in a whole 6lb chicken is about 300g of protein which is a complete waste...

if ur hungry go for it, but dont add those protein g's to your daily intake cuz THAT isn't how it works.

PS, I used to cook whole chickens (6-8lb'ers) but have found that the ground turkey breast at the supermarkets is leaner, has more protein, and is easier to cook

eat well

bradley
09-12-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
ur body can only take in so much protein in a time period, 30-50g is ok every 3 hours but taking in a whole 6lb chicken is about 300g of protein which is a complete waste...

This is just a myth, and your body is quite effecient at utilizing whatever foods you feed it. Protein is absorbed with ~90% effeciency.

if ur hungry go for it, but dont add those protein g's to your daily intake cuz THAT isn't how it works.

You also have to take into account the time required to digest a large amount of protein. Granted all of the protein will not be used for muscle recovery/repair, but any excess will be converted to glucose and used as energy or stored as fat.

geoffgarcia
09-12-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by bradley

This is just a myth, and your body is quite effecient at utilizing whatever foods you feed it. Protein is absorbed with ~90% effeciency.

if its a myth then why are we told to eat 5-8 meals per day seperated out? why not just take all our proteins/fats/carbs and be done with it all in one meal?

bradley
09-12-2003, 01:49 PM

if its a myth then why are we told to eat 5-8 meals per day seperated out? why not just take all our proteins/fats/carbs and be done with it all in one meal?

There is no reason to eat 5-8 meals per day and you would be fine consuming 3-4, as studies have proven.

If you consumed all of your daily cals in one sitting your body would not use the nutrients as they were "intended." If you flood the body with nutrients it has to partition these nutrients out to the body and once the brain, muscles, etc. have had their fill the rest will be used for energy or stored as fat.

This would eventually cause the body to enter a catabolic state, because of the fact that you are not going to be consuming any more nutrients for the rest of the day, i.e. no protein, etc.

I never stated that the large amount of protein would be used for muscle recovery/repair, but to state that it will be "wasted" is not accurate. The body will find a way to utilize the calories, and most of the excess protein would be converted to glucose, via gluconeogenesis. The glucose would then be used as an immediate fuel source or stored as fat, although de novo lipogenesis is not an effecient process in the body.

Here is an old thread that discusses some of the same questions you brought up.
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33842&highlight=meal+frequency

Spartacus
09-12-2003, 02:04 PM

i think so you can fit enough food in your stomach to grow

Makaveli_786
09-18-2003, 11:18 AM
From what I know the 5-6 meals a day program is for two reasons....

Firstly pro bodybilders eat a damn house but what happens when your throat goes dry or your stomach is full??? Well then you cant eat anymore so basically it means you cant eat enough food down there... Also I dont think you could digest it too well if you ate too much and for us active people who work or study or both it wont be easy for us running around with 8 chicken burgers down there once.

Hey bradley where did you read about that 3-4 meals stuff.... get me a link plz :D

Dedicated
09-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Those whole pre-cooked chickens from walmart only have 960 calories total and tons of protein, over a 100 grams for sure.
They're like 4 dollars or something they kick ass.

And yea they are rotisseire or however you spell it, and no I don't eat the skin usually. Sometimes not always. Anyways they rock, nothing like a huge glass of milk and a big piece of chicken:D .

bradley
09-18-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Makaveli_786
Also I dont think you could digest it too well if you ate too much and for us active people who work or study or both it wont be easy for us running around with 8 chicken burgers down there once.

The body would digest the food just fine, although it just will take a longer period of the time for the food to be digested.

When humans were evolving do you think they ate 6 meals per day, or larger less frequent meals? The human body is well adapted and small things such as meal frequency are not going to have that as large of an impact as people would have you believe. One of the main reasons being the fact that 6 meals a day is touted as being the "right way" in most all bodybuilding publications.

Hey bradley where did you read about that 3-4 meals stuff.... get me a link plz :D

I posted a thread in my post above, in which I posted several studies relating to meal frequency.