PDA

View Full Version : Your Tips

J-Mac
09-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Hello All! This is my first real post on WBB Forums, but I have been reading this forum for quite some time now and have found this forum VERY helpfull in turning around my life, and now thought it was time to join in with the discussions. I started training a little over 1 year ago when i hit 300 lbs after 1st year university. After getting diet and training tips from your forums I now stand 6'2 and weigh in at 205 lbs.....the lightest I have been since grade 10, I believe. Enough about me, the real purpose for this post is to pick your brains on my current diet plan, here is a TYPICAL day for me, sometimes switching the meats at Dinner and Lunch around and so on

Breakfast (7am): 4 Egg Whites
4 oz Hamburger
Cup Fiber 1 Cereal
1 Glass Orange Juice
1 Tbsp Flax Oil
1 Multi Vitamin

Brunch (10:30am): Tub Cottage Cheese

Lunch (12pm): Chicken Breast
Cup Brown Rice
Cup Yogurt

Mid-Afternoon (2:30pm): Cup Yogurt (maybe more here???)

Dinner (5:30pm): Steak
Cup Brown Rice
Veggies

Workout(7pm-8pm)

Post Workout (8pm): Protein Shake
1 Can Tuna

Bed Time (9:45pm): Tub Cottage Cheese
1 Tbsp Flax Oil

I usually take 5g creatine post workout, but am currently on a 1 month break from it. I also drink lots of water throughout the day, carrying a bottle everywhere I go.

Thanks

pusher
09-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Looks good, but I would change:

-no yogurt, unless you really crave it. Try some oatmeal in the morning.

-no hamburger, how 'bout chicken or beans

-fish instead of steak, steak only occasionally.

Try a swet potato sometimes so you don't get bored.

Also, try to have a count of your calories and your macro breakdown so you can control what your daily intake is.

Good work so far!:thumbup:

J-Mac
09-08-2003, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the pointers, I don't really crave the yogurt, I just assumed it would be a fast easy fix for some protein.

I often substitute salmon for the dinner time steak.

Why do you think I should cut out the hamburger?? It is lean ground beef. The reason I have it for breakfast is, I watched this show on a wrestler(I love wrestling!) and he has hamburger every morning for breakfast.

I was also thinking of setting my alarm for like 3:30 am to shake up a protein drink, would there be any benefit to this?

raniali
09-08-2003, 01:04 PM
well - what are your current goals with this diet?

i personally don't see anything wrong with yogurt - as long as you choose fat-free plain (otherwise the yogurts are loaded with sugar).

ElPietro
09-08-2003, 01:07 PM
I don't think fat free is the right kind is it? Usually it's the fat free ones they load down with sugar to make up the taste. As long as you can find natural yogurt then it should be good.

If you are looking for breakfast food, you could try turkey or chicken bacon. It's pretty tasty, although, not as tasty as regular bacon, and contains much less fat.

I don't recommend waking up for meals in the middle of the night. The benefits of a healthy sleeping pattern far outweigh anything you'd gain from a shake at an odd hour.

J-Mac
09-08-2003, 01:11 PM
My goals are to really gain muscle mass.

I have been getting low-fat yogurt, but I was getting it with blueberry flavouring...I will switch to plain now though...thanks!

I tried to add up my calories to the best of my ability and, from what I see, it is a little short of 2000 so I think this is a problem. I think I may throw in 1cup of oatmeal at breakfast time, think that should do the trick

PS - does anyone know any good websites to find out nutritional values for foods??

bradley
09-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by J-Mac
Breakfast (7am): 4 Egg Whites
4 oz Hamburger
Cup Fiber 1 Cereal
1 Glass Orange Juice
1 Tbsp Flax Oil
1 Multi Vitamin

I don't see any reason to have the orange juice, since it is calorically dense, and it does not offer much to your diet, except extra calories. You could include an orange in place of the OJ, or maybe another source of low GI carbs.

Fish oil would be a better source of EFAs as opposed to the flaxseed oil.

I see no reason to get rid of the hamburger, as long as it is lean ground beef. Another option would be to have a couple of yolks with your egg whites.

Lunch (12pm): Chicken Breast
Cup Brown Rice
Cup Yogurt

Mid-Afternoon (2:30pm): Cup Yogurt (maybe more here???)

Dinner (5:30pm): Steak
Cup Brown Rice
Veggies

These meals look fine to me, although I would go with cottage cheese over yogurt, but either one will suffice. Just stick to the unflavored, non-fat variety, and you can add some fruit or sugar free jello to give it some flavor.

Also you might want to throw in some fat with a couple of the above meals. I would recommend fat intake to be ~25% of your daily cals, with most of the fat coming from healthy sources (fish oil, flax oil, nuts, olive oil, natural peanut butter, etc.).

Workout(7pm-8pm)

Post Workout (8pm): Protein Shake
1 Can Tuna

Drop the tuna and add in some carbs post workout, along with your protein shake. High GI carbs such as maltodextrin or dextrose would work just fine.

Of course your calories would need to be adjusted according to your goals.

Welcome to WBB:)

bradley
09-08-2003, 01:23 PM
My goals are to really gain muscle mass.

I have been getting low-fat yogurt, but I was getting it with blueberry flavouring...I will switch to plain now though...thanks!

I tried to add up my calories to the best of my ability and, from what I see, it is a little short of 2000 so I think this is a problem. I think I may throw in 1cup of oatmeal at breakfast time, think that should do the trick

PS - does anyone know any good websites to find out nutritional values for foods??

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

Just slowly increase your daily cals in small increments each week, until you are gaining a small amount of weight each week.

ElPietro
09-08-2003, 01:23 PM
If you are 205 lbs and trying to gain mass, you will need a whole lot more than 2000 calories. Probably in the neighbourhood of double that.

Don't forget to include calories from anything you drink as well. Many people forget and it can seriously add up to a lot if you drink milk, juice or pop.

You could try registering at fitday.com and keeping track of calories there. Then anything you use regularly that isn't there you can setup as a custom food, after a few weeks of keeping track you will know more or less what you are taking in day to day without having to keep every minute detail recorded.

bradley
09-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
I don't think fat free is the right kind is it? Usually it's the fat free ones they load down with sugar to make up the taste. As long as you can find natural yogurt then it should be good.

Usually the above would be correct, but just think about the difference between skim milk and whole milk.

ElPietro
09-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Well I meant it for yogurt, not milk. Isn't this what they do? I haven't eaten yogurt in a while but it always looked like the fat free ones were loaded down with tons of carbs. Everyone expects skim milk to taste bad so they probably don't bother with the sugar. :p

J-Mac
09-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Double 2000 calories...wow

what if I changed from 1/2 cup of rice to a full cup??

thanks for all the replies

raniali
09-08-2003, 01:34 PM
also - if you want to enjoy your fat-free plain yogurt more - add flavored protein powder to it or add it to cooked oatmeal. that's my helpful tip for the day.

bradley
09-08-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
Well I meant it for yogurt, not milk. Isn't this what they do? I haven't eaten yogurt in a while but it always looked like the fat free ones were loaded down with tons of carbs. Everyone expects skim milk to taste bad so they probably don't bother with the sugar. :p

Yogurt, plain, skim milk, 13 grams protein per 8 ounce
Water g 208.814
Energy kcal 137.200
Energy kj 570.850
Protein g 14.039
Total lipid (fat) g 0.441
Ash g 2.891
Carbohydrate, by difference g 18.816
Fiber, total dietary g 0.000
Sugars, total g 18.816

Yogurt, plain, low fat, 12 grams protein per 8 ounce
Water g 193.109
Energy kcal 143.010
Energy kj 601.550
Protein g 11.918
Total lipid (fat) g 3.519
Ash g 2.474
Carbohydrate, by difference g 15.981
Fiber, total dietary g 0.000
Sugars, total g 15.981

There is a little difference in the amount of sugar, but not a significant amount. The difference would come from the fact as to whether or not the yogurt was made from skim milk. low fat, or whole milk.

ElPietro
09-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Ah, ok, I think we may have been speaking of different things. When I speak of fat free, I didn't mean fat free plain yogurt, but the fat free, flavoured stuff, that isn't natural. But anyway, he can always look at the label himself.

WTF, I'm fat, why am I giving diet advice. :scratch:

*waddles off*

bradley
09-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Double 2000 calories...wow

what if I changed from 1/2 cup of rice to a full cup??

thanks for all the replies

You will have to determine your daily calorie intake yourself, seeing as how it varies from person to person. Just increase cals a little each week, and then make the necessary adjustments to your daily calorie intake based on the results you are getting.

Adding in ~200 cals per week will probably yield the best results. This way you don't run the risk of shocking your body with a sudden surge of calories.