PDA

View Full Version : How do you eat your eggs?

SoulOfKoRea
09-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Hard-boiled, take out the yolk, just eat the whites with some salt

Scrambled, til it's nice n crispy :), can't stand slimy eggs... sprinkle some pepper or hot sauce/ketchup

fried omelettes, rice or just eggs/vegetables with some ketchup

Does it really matter how you prepare them? I know the condiments won't help much but they don't have much calories... I know some of the nutrients will be taken out when cooked

bradley
09-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
Does it really matter how you prepare them? I know the condiments won't help much but they don't have much calories... I know some of the nutrients will be taken out when cooked

No not really, but as you said you would need to take into account the calories associated with the various oils, etc., that may be used in cooking.

I usually just boil my eggs a day or two ahead of time, and I discard the yolk. I try and get the majority of my fat from sources like fish oil and olive oil.

BennettBoy
09-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Scrambled in Pam.

chops
09-08-2003, 02:25 PM
i used to cook eggwhites (i buy the cartons) them in a pan w/ olive oil or pam, but i recenty discovered they turn out good from the micro. i lub it, so easy.

use real plates tho, because using paper products causes the egg to stick to it

eggs w/ ketchup is good. actually, i could eat ketchup on anything.
for an omelet, i use a big shallow plate and when its almost 85% done, i put a bunch of stuff in the middle and fold it over, finish nuking

for "fried rice", i nuke it 50% stir in brown rice then finish nuking. the egg binds nicely to the rice , add in some soy sauce.

JuniorMint6669
09-08-2003, 03:02 PM
hardboiled. Normally just the whites, unless I have no other food to get my calories from. I like it with salsa. Sometimes I make an egg and salsa sandwich. MMmMmmMmm

Woz
09-08-2003, 04:07 PM
I can't eat them cooked. They give me belly aches. I buy organic and eat them raw. I recentlt started holding them under hot running water for a minute. This gives them a nice yolky flavour but is actualy to destroy something or other.

bradley
09-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Woz
I can't eat them cooked. They give me belly aches. I buy organic and eat them raw. I recentlt started holding them under hot running water for a minute. This gives them a nice yolky flavour but is actualy to destroy something or other.

~50% of the protein is digestable from raw egg whites as compared to ~90% for a cooked egg. When you cook an egg you deactivate the protein avidin. If you eat uncooked egg whites the protein avidin will bind to biotin, which will hinder the absorption of the protein, and could also lead to a biotin deficiency.

Not to mention the increased risk of salmonella.

Ironman8
09-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by BennettBoy
Scrambled in Pam.

TiGeR AK
09-08-2003, 09:13 PM
i use a fork to eat my eggs, personally.

but other than that.. scrambled, hard boiled, any which way

arjun
09-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Plus, if im not mistaken, you dont loose any nutrients when it is cooked, unless you burn it.

RoidRage
09-08-2003, 10:31 PM
usually I fix deviled eggs, or I put them in shakes raw ( I know i'm taking the risk so don't lecture me), or i scramble them. God bless cholestrol! thats the only reason I eat eggs, and the fat content.

Stephen Riddington
09-08-2003, 11:12 PM
scrambled, sometimes fried if I want to make an bacon n egg sandwich.

Woz
09-08-2003, 11:47 PM
If you eat uncooked egg whites the protein avidin will bind to biotin, which will hinder the absorption of the protein, and could also lead to a biotin deficiency. That's it! Running them under a hot tap destroys the avidin.

bradley
09-09-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Woz
That's it! Running them under a hot tap destroys the avidin.

You have to actually cook the egg white to deactivate the avidin, and I have my doubts as to whether you can cook an egg white by running it under hot tap water, especially if it is still in the shell.

Most people run their eggs under hot water in an effort to destroy any bacteria or just to wash the egg off. :)

Woz
09-10-2003, 11:15 AM
Bradley, here's all I could get from a fella that mentioned it at another board.
Q. Is it true that the human body cannot digest raw egg white, or is it myth. I would be very grateful for your comments, as I frequently make egg white milk shakes in the blender . Thanks, Jim.

A. Raw egg white has a protein called avidin that interferes with the absorption of biotin, a B vitamin. Leaving the egg under hot running tap water for one minute is enough to solve this problem.

--Charles Poliquin ( www.charlespoliquin.net/a...e-19.html ) I tried Poliquins search engine but unfortunately the post has gone from the site.
Here's where I got the original info from.

http://pub26.ezboard.com/foldschoolstrengthtraining70757frm1.showMessage?topicID=4929.topic

RoidRage
09-10-2003, 11:26 AM
polquin also claims that the pro david Boston he trains is 100% natural. Check his site for more info on that.

drew
09-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Mmmm, eggs. Fried, scrambled, boiled, poached...

With ketchup or mustard or tabasco sauce. Alone or with tuna or wheat germ or on a sandwich...

I love eggs. From my head down to my legs.

bradley
09-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Woz
Bradley, here's all I could get from a fella that mentioned it at another board. I tried Poliquins search engine but unfortunately the post has gone from the site.
Here's where I got the original info from.

http://pub26.ezboard.com/foldschoolstrengthtraining70757frm1.showMessage?topicID=4929.topic

You have to see where I am coming from, and if the egg white is still clear when you crack it open, I would assume that it was still uncooked.

I am not saying that running it under hot water will not deactivate the avidin, but I still have my doubts. The post that you cited would not be what I call vaild proof.

Every site I have seen states that the egg white needs to be "cooked" to deactivate avidin, and I consider cooked to mean the egg white is white and not clear.

Woz
09-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Perhaps I will have to up my intake of biotin. I am going to my Clinical Nutritionist in a few weeks I shall ask her about it. She may be able to do some tests either then or later on. I will let you know what happens.

Ebu
09-10-2003, 02:25 PM
I eat 3 eggs at a time, with only one egg yolk, scrambled. I cook em thourough, cant stand slimy eggs. But if your up for it, put some cheddar cheese with em. It is soooooooooo good! Sorta like Denny's eggs

theomen
09-10-2003, 02:33 PM
I eat them off the ass of a midget hooker... or scrambled in calorie free butter, lean ham, and fat free american cheese. Tasty, and a protein fest.

Woz
09-10-2003, 03:33 PM
I eat them off the ass of a midget hooker
That made me laugh.

Crystallio
09-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Hard boiled, just the whites, 6-8 at a time

SwimBabe
09-12-2003, 12:22 AM
I prefer omlets with lots of veggies in there, like peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, and cheese :)