PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss?

JULES
09-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Currently trying to lose weight and tone up. I'm female, currently 9st 10lb and feel I want to be 9stone but fully toned. I go to the gym on average 4 times a week. 3 times is an hour or so CV and twice is using weights as well.
I eat the following in an average day:-
2 x Wholewhite toast
1 x Banana
4 x Rye Ryvita with 1 small tin of tuna
12x Pistachios/Almonds
1 x Low fat yoghurt
Dinner is either salmon, mackerel or chicken with veg, rice or pasta and twice a week an omelette (with 1 full egg and 2 whites only).
I also make sure I drink enough water during the day.
I need to know if my diet is balanced enough and will help to lose the excess fat and gain some lean muscle. i.e. am I eating enough carbs, protein etc daily?
Regards
Jules

bradley
09-08-2003, 04:14 PM
If my conversion factor is correct (14lbs.=1 stone) you weigh ~136lbs.

From the foods you listed it does not look like you are eating enough cals throughout the day, but then again it would depend on the amount of cals in the foods you are eating, i.e. portion sizes, etc.

Your food choices look fine, but you might want to bump up the protein intake to ~1g per lb. of bodyweight, and also try and calculate approximately how many cals you are taking in on an average day. Try entering your diet into www.fitday.com, which will help in giving you a rough estimate.

Also how are your meals timed throughout the day, and by that I mean what foods are you eating and at what times are you eating them in? Also include where your workout falls in relation to the meals. This would help, and I am sure you will receive more sound advice.

Welcome to WBB:)

Dedicated
09-08-2003, 05:41 PM
A post workout shake is extremely important you should definitely start drinking one. Also women produce more cortisol I think so it's even more important for you I guess. Here is the reply I got when I asked about this on the forums(bradleys reply), and a link to a site that was given to me that explains why it works. It's an excellent read imo you will be amazed at how important it is.

http://www.poweringmuscles.com/musc...rticle_number=6

A post workout shake that consists of carbs and protein will aid in recovery by refilling depleted muscle glycogen stores, and also the insulin that is released will help blunt the effects of cortisol.

I would go with ~50g of carbs and ~25g of protein postworkout, but you may need to adjust the amounts depending on length of workout, bw, etc.

Go ahead and drink your post workout shake immediately after training, as there is no need to wait 10-20

JULES
09-09-2003, 04:00 AM
Hi Bradley,
Thanks for the info. Yes I made it 136lbs too. I eat on average 1000 - 1200 cals per day at the moment.
My daily intake goes something like this:-
Breakfast: 2 x toast (whole white bread) and decaff coffee
10am : Banana and glass of water.
12-15 : 4 x Ryvita (dark rye) with one small tin of tuna, cup of green tea
2pm : 12 Pistachios or Almonds and glass of water
5pm : Fruit and coffee (one with guarana in it)
8-30 to 9pm : Dinner - Salmon, rice and veg or
Mackerel, omelette, rice and veg or
Chicken fillet in low fat sauce, pasta and veg.
I go to the gym 4 times a week with my husband and brother, (they are both bodybuilding). We are there from 7 till 9 on these evenings.
Thanks again for all your advice.

JULES
09-09-2003, 04:05 AM
:) Thanks for the advice on the post workout drink. I will buy one tonight when I go to the gym. This was mentioned to me by someone else but I wasn't sure what one to get then. I will definately have a read of the site you mentioned, sounds interesting. I love all this training and learning whilst getting fitter. I agree, it's just as important for women to have good defined muscles as men, although I'm not building up I still want my muscles to look toned.
Thanks again.
Jules

JULES
09-09-2003, 04:09 AM
Hi Bradley,
Thanks for the info. I make it 136 lbs too and I worked out that I have been eating approx. 1000 - 1200 cals per day. My daily eating regime is as follows:-
Breakfast : 2 x toast and decaff coffee
10 am - Banana and glass of water
12-15 - 4 x Ryvita (dark rye) and 1 small tin of tuna, low fat yoghurt and 1 x green tea
2pm - 12 x almonds or pistachios and glass of water
5 pm - Fruit and coffee (the one with guarana in it).
8-30 - 9pm Dinner: salmon fillet, rice and veg or
mackerel, omelette, rice and veg or
chicken fillet in low fat sauce, pasta and veg.
It's difficult to know exactly when to eat and what especially when I work all week and we want to go to the gym 4 times a week. Any suggestions. Bearing in mind we have to make huge amounts of food for the days at work for Rob and Mark bodybuilding. I need more time!
Thanks again
Jules

bradley
09-09-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by JULES
Thanks for the info. Yes I made it 136lbs too. I eat on average 1000 - 1200 cals per day at the moment.

Are you currently losing bf following this calorie intake? I would probably bump up the cals to ~1500 or so per day (just an estimate:) ) and see what kind of results you get, because you have to keep in mind that you need to take in enough cals to support your current acitivity level. The addition of a post workout shake will help in increasing your daily calorie intake.

My daily intake goes something like this:-
Breakfast: 2 x toast (whole white bread) and decaff coffee

Throw in some protein with this meal, and maybe a few egg whites, or something along those lines.

12-15 : 4 x Ryvita (dark rye) with one small tin of tuna, cup of green tea

You could decrease the amount of bread in this meal, which would free up some calories, and this would allow you to add in some protein for meal #1.

2pm : 12 Pistachios or Almonds and glass of water
5pm : Fruit and coffee (one with guarana in it)
8-30 to 9pm : Dinner - Salmon, rice and veg or
Mackerel, omelette, rice and veg or
Chicken fillet in low fat sauce, pasta and veg.

The above meals look good, and the food choices look good IMO.:)

I go to the gym 4 times a week with my husband and brother, (they are both bodybuilding). We are there from 7 till 9 on these evenings.
Thanks again for all your advice.

I really do not see the need to be in the gym for 2 hours at a time, and I think you would be better served performing weights and cardio at different times or different days. Remember more is not always better, and I think ~60 minutes in the gym should allow you plenty of time to get your workout in.

JULES
09-09-2003, 08:27 AM
Hi it's me again,
I think I must be losing bf because the muscles on my arms are more prominent and defined and I have muscle line on my legs and tops of my abs? I still feel that I have a very long way to go though and maybe when I've lost this 10lbs I'm aiming for, whilst exercising, I will see bigger improvements?
The gym workouts are basically, one day all cv, mainly legs and some weights for legs. The next day is weights for arms and some more cv. The next day I have off. The following day is cv and weights for stomach and abs and then the last day of the week lots of cv again. Is this not right?
You recommend I take out some bread in the morning, which is fine. But I don't have an awful lot of time to cook things in the morning, ie. you suggested egg whites foe example. Can you suggest something else? Is a bowl of cereal enough and if so what type?
Thanks again
Jules

bradley
09-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Hi it's me again,
I think I must be losing bf because the muscles on my arms are more prominent and defined and I have muscle line on my legs and tops of my abs? I still feel that I have a very long way to go though and maybe when I've lost this 10lbs I'm aiming for, whilst exercising, I will see bigger improvements?

I am sure you are making improvements, especially if you are relatively new to training. I still think increasing your cals a little would be a good idea, and then if you find that intake to be too high you can always decrease them.

The gym workouts are basically, one day all cv, mainly legs and some weights for legs. The next day is weights for arms and some more cv. The next day I have off. The following day is cv and weights for stomach and abs and then the last day of the week lots of cv again. Is this not right?

I was just recommending splitting up your training so that you are not doing extensive amounts of cardio and weight training during the same session. I think that two hours is a bit much, and you would be better served getting everything done in ~60 minutes.

You might think about performing your cardio and weights on seperate days, or at seperate times.

You recommend I take out some bread in the morning, which is fine. But I don't have an awful lot of time to cook things in the morning, ie. you suggested egg whites foe example. Can you suggest something else? Is a bowl of cereal enough and if so what type?

You don't necessarily have to take out the bread, and I think you need some carbs in the morning which will help "get you going" so to speak. Along with the carbs you should take in some sort of protein, and really any lean protein source will be fine. I have listed some lean protein sources below, and you can always prepare meals a couple of days ahead of time if you find yourself crunched for time.:)

Eggs/egg whites, fish, poultry, lean cuts beef (steak, ground beef, etc.), dairy products (cottage cheese, milk, yogurt), protein powder (whey, casein, egg, etc.)

JULES
09-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Thank you for all your advice.
I have taken it all on board, I even stopped after an hour of workout tonight! I have also bought a whey protein supplement this evening and have started taking it tonight. It has made me feel quite sick, but I presume that will wear off?
I am also putting my daily foods on that chart on fitday.com and see how I go.
Thanks again
Jules

bradley
09-09-2003, 04:03 PM
I have also bought a whey protein supplement this evening and have started taking it tonight. It has made me feel quite sick, but I presume that will wear off?

I would imagine this will pass, but if it continues you might consider another brand. Don't forget to add some carbs to that post workout shake.:)

Best of luck, and keep us informed.