PDA

View Full Version : Effects of cardio on a daily basis?

GooberPHX420
09-10-2003, 01:58 AM
Hey all, wanted to say HI and thanks for all the info on this awesome site.

Anyways heres the breakdown: Im very overweight. My friends are all in pretty damn good shape. We lift mildly every night and me and my buddies play probably over an hour of solid raquetball. How do you think these two affect one another? Does the raquetball kill any gains I may get from lifting?

Sorry if this is a simple question, but its one I dont know the answer to :)

musclette
09-10-2003, 02:21 AM
Hi Goober, we meet again. :hello:

Cardio is debatable. Most bodybuilders won't do more than twice a week. However, it can work differently for different people. Some people who are on a cut (lose fat) do it 5 times a week but only 30 mins max.

To lose fat, you will need to up the weights. Forget about doing it mildly. It won't help you one bit. You will need to build your muscles in order to increase your metabolic rate. This way, you will burn fat faster. You might wanna do cardio AFTER weights so that you can lift when you are fresh. For lifting, do reps that allows you to fail at about 8-10 reps. And most importantly, EAT!!!!! Especially when you're doing so much cardio! Don't forget your PWO whey protein!!!

Hope this helps.

Leviathan
09-10-2003, 03:44 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with almost everything that was just said. As a bodybuilder, I believe cardio is ESSENTIAL. Your heart is your most valuable muscle, and you need to keep it in shape to maintain a decent metabolism (especially since you stated you are very overweight). There is no reason you shouldn't do cardio 4-5 times a week, but I agree that you should keep it down to 15-20 minutes max. The idea is to gain the fat-burning effects of intense cardio exercise without putting your body into a catabolic (muscle-burning) state.

Whatever you do, DON'T do cardio after you lift. Think about it, if you've been lifting for 40-60 minutes your body will be fatigued. You will not be able to put forth maximum effort in your cardio session, while at the same time you will be putting yourself into a catabolic state (again, burning muscle). You want to separate your lifting from your cardio by 8-10 hours.

As far as reps are concerned. There is no hard and fast rule that you should aim for 8-10 reps. Actually, 4-6 reps seems like a better aim. You want to be lifting heavy everytime you are in the gym (overload, not fatigue, builds muscle). If you are able to do 10 reps then the weight isn't heavy enough. This is the theory behind HIT (High Intensity Training).

Musclette is correct about eating. You need to take in more calories than you burn to gain weight, and fewer calories than you burn to lose weight. Depending on your goals, you'll have to experiment to see what an ideal caloric intake would be for you. Go to the Diet Discussion board and read... there is a lot of good information there. Diet is the most important aspect of your training (and the most neglected), if you neglect this area you WILL NOT see the results you are looking for.