PDA

View Full Version : Tips for increasing metabolism?

NHBFAN
09-10-2003, 07:05 PM
I know working large muscles (weight training) increases your metabolism even while at rest.

Also I believe caffiene increased metabolism.

Any other tips to increase my metabolism?

MrWebb78
09-10-2003, 09:04 PM
drink more water

grapefruit and bell peppers supposedly raise metabolism

invest in a heroine habit

TiGeR AK
09-11-2003, 12:54 AM
cardio?

Scott S
09-11-2003, 12:58 AM
Boycott elevators. And cars.

EdgeCrusher
09-11-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Scott S
Boycott elevators. And cars.

and computers. and chairs.

bradley
09-11-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by TiGeR AK
cardio?

HIIT cardio;)

NHBFAN
09-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the responses.

galileo
09-12-2003, 05:51 AM
Eat with more frequency in smaller portions and cycle carbohydrate intake.

WillKuenzel
09-12-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by bradley
HIIT cardio;)

Originally posted by galileo

Those 2 suggestions have worked well for me.

hemants
09-12-2003, 07:26 AM
Drink ice cold water. Keep in cool temperatures, sleep with only a sheet, keep the thermostat down.

Bryan
09-12-2003, 08:07 AM
Doesnt weight training also increase your metabolism?

buffzilla
09-12-2003, 08:34 AM
Yes. By having more muscle you have more metabolising cells :).

bradley
09-12-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by galileo

Studies have shown that meal frequency has little effect on daily energy expenditure, and unless the cycling of carbs causes an increase in total calories, I fail to see how cycling carbs will increase metabolism if you are still under maintenance.

---------------
Effect of the pattern of food intake on human energy metabolism.

Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Westerterp KR, Kester AD.

Department of Human Biology, University of Limburg, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

The pattern of food intake can affect the regulation of body weight and lipogenesis. We studied the effect of meal frequency on human energy expenditure (EE) and its components. During 1 week ten male adults (age 25-61 years, body mass index 20.7-30.4 kg/m2) were fed to energy balance at two meals/d (gorging pattern) and during another week at seven meals/d (nibbling pattern). For the first 6 d of each week the food was provided at home, followed by a 36 h stay in a respiration chamber. O2 consumption and CO2 production (and hence EE) were calculated over 24 h. EE in free-living conditions was measured over the 2 weeks with doubly-labelled water (average daily metabolic rate, ADMR). The three major components of ADMR are basal metabolic rate (BMR), diet-induced thermogenesis (DIT) and EE for physical activity (ACT). There was no significant effect of meal frequency on 24 h EE or ADMR. Furthermore, BMR and ACT did not differ between the two patterns. DIT was significantly elevated in the gorging pattern, but this effect was neutralized by correction for the relevant time interval. With the method used for determination of DIT no significant effect of meal frequency on the contribution of DIT to ADMR could be demonstrated.

D&G
09-12-2003, 09:56 AM
Green tea!

bradley
09-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by buffzilla
Yes. By having more muscle you have more metabolising cells :).

The above statement is accurate, and also the increase in metabolism is due to the excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) that is associated with weight training.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11882927&dopt=Abstract

Dedicated
09-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by D&G
Green tea!
Ya use the tea to chase down some ECA's. That will get your metabolism up real quick heh. Just don't overdo it.:D

bradley
09-12-2003, 04:49 PM
To get the beneficial effects from green tea you would have to consume a lot of tea, or you could purchase green tea extract.

SquareHead
09-12-2003, 05:27 PM
7mg Nicotine Transdermal patch. This is not going to go over well. I have no studies to back this up. But it is said to .....
Reduce apppetite
Reduce craving for carbs
Estrogen reduction
Discuss

Bryan
09-13-2003, 06:34 AM
I read on about using nicotine as a cutting supplement a while ago on the avantlabs board, seems interesting

as0l0
09-14-2003, 03:53 AM
i use the nicotene lozenges. 4mg. I'm sucking one right now. it absolutely supresses appetite. great to have one after a meal to kill that "I need something sweet" feeling.

i'm using them to quit smoking (5 weeks now), but I love the taste and they stop me getting hungry.

D&G
09-14-2003, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by bradley
To get the beneficial effects from green tea you would have to consume a lot of tea, or you could purchase green tea extract.

I drink it by the jug!

Spartacus
09-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by D&G

I drink it by the jug!

this might not be the case for you, but if its premade (store-bought) it may not have nearly as much metabolism-raising components.

shansen008
09-14-2003, 12:58 PM
I use green tea extract w/xenadrine.

Spiderman
09-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Here ya go..

Caffiene
Cardio
Lifting
Cardio + Lifting
Equipoise
Trenbolone Acetate--more commonly known as Finaplix
Testosterone
DNP
T3
T4
Clenbuterol

There..think that covers it. ;)

NHBFAN
09-14-2003, 03:10 PM
Thanks Spiderman ... I'm not familar with some of that stuff.

Have to do some internet research.

eatdirt40
09-14-2003, 06:25 PM
yeah i heard green tea is good for boosting metabolism also, my bro used to drink that ****

Spiderman
09-15-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Spiderman
Here ya go..

Equipoise
Trenbolone Acetate--more commonly known as Finaplix
Testosterone
DNP
T3
T4
Clenbuterol

There..think that covers it. ;)

Ok, the ones in italics are steroids, the ones in red are actual medications you can take to increase the production of thyroid hormone, they're very harsh and should only be used under the advisement of a physician. The 2 in bold are fat burners. DNP is VERY harsh on the body, clenbuterol is another fat burner..works very well and a lot less harsh on the body. Its non-toxic and only manages to raise heart rate, bp and body temp slightly. Not recommended if you have a history of, or do have any heart, bp or cardiovascular disease problems. Good luck bro.

Spidey

Spartacus
09-15-2003, 05:49 PM
is it true that hot chilli increase metabolism?

Dedicated
09-15-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Spiderman

Ok, the ones in italics are steroids, the ones in red are actual medications you can take to increase the production of thyroid hormone, they're very harsh and should only be used under the advisement of a physician. The 2 in bold are fat burners. DNP is VERY harsh on the body, clenbuterol is another fat burner..works very well and a lot less harsh on the body. Its non-toxic and only manages to raise heart rate, bp and body temp slightly. Not recommended if you have a history of, or do have any heart, bp or cardiovascular disease problems. Good luck bro.

Spidey

EDIT****
NM about DNP, just googled for it and it looks super dangerous! What about clenbuteroal, does the stuff work better than taking an ECA? If it is better what are the side effects besides raised heartbeat and stuff, any steroid like effects like hair loss etc? Also is it legal to buy like over the counter? I'm reading about it now but just not sure if it's more effective than taking an ECA.

SquareHead
09-15-2003, 07:00 PM
I read someplace about clen casuing testicular issues. Anyone have more on that? Or am I making that up?

Scott S
09-15-2003, 07:10 PM
I thought clenbuterol was a steroid...

SquareHead
09-15-2003, 07:13 PM
Nah I belive it is an asthma medication.

bradley
09-16-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Dedicated

EDIT****
NM about DNP, just googled for it and it looks super dangerous! What about clenbuteroal, does the stuff work better than taking an ECA? If it is better what are the side effects besides raised heartbeat and stuff, any steroid like effects like hair loss etc? Also is it legal to buy like over the counter? I'm reading about it now but just not sure if it's more effective than taking an ECA.

DNP is an uncoupler.

Clen acts on specific beta receptors, where as ephedrine/ephedra is non-specific and will affect all beta receptors. Since Clen acts on specific beta receptors, it will cause the receptors to down regulate after continued use, hence the reason that Clen is cycled.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10677393&dopt=Abstract
"The beta(2)-adrenergic agonist, clenbuterol, has powerful muscle anabolic and lipolytic effects and is used by athletes to improve exercise performance; however, its use in conjunction with different forms of exercise training has received limited attention. Since previous studies have reported that chronic use of other beta(2)-adrenergic agonists has deleterious effects on cardiac muscle structure and function, the aim of the present study was to determine whether chronic clenbuterol administration would reduce the exercise capabilities of rats subjected to long-term treadmill sprint running, endurance swimming or voluntary wheel running training. "

As far as I know Clenbuterol is considered an illegal substance in regards to its use as a weight loss aid.

bradley
09-16-2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by SquareHead
I read someplace about clen casuing testicular issues. Anyone have more on that? Or am I making that up?

Morphological and quantitative study of the Leydig cells of pigs fed with anabolic doses of clenbuterol.

Blanco A, Aguera E, Flores R, Artacho-Perula E, Monterde JG.

Department of Comparative Anatomy and Pathological Anatomy, University of Cordoba, Spain.

The effects of clenbuterol administered at anabolic doses on the testicular interstitium were studied in 30 pigs allocated to three experimental groups. The diet of two groups was supplemented with clenbuterol (Clb) (1 ppm), but whereas in the Clb+ group the treatment was given until slaughter (treatment period: 3 months), in the Clb- group the clenbuterol was withdrawn 2 weeks before slaughter (treatment period: 2-5 months); in the control group, the pigs were fed without clenbuterol. For histological procedures, a fractional sampling scheme was applied and routine techniques for light and transmission electron microscopy were used. The results of subjective morphology and morphometrics showed slight differences between the treated and the control groups. Conversely, the stereological results identified a prominent hyperplasia of the Leydig cells and ultrastructural analysis of these cells revealed a conspicuous increase in the organelles related to testosterone production, suggesting a functional activation of the interstitial cells in response to the clenbuterol treatment.
-----------------

Testicular damage from anabolic treatments with the beta(2)-adrenergic agonist clenbuterol in pigs: a light and electron microscope study.

Blanco A, Flores-Acuna F, Roldan-Villalobos R, Monterde JG.

Department of Comparative Anatomy and Pathological Anatomy, Veterinary Faculty, University of Cordoba, 14071 Cordoba, Spain.

The morphological consequences of anabolic clenbuterol treatment on the testicular parenchyma were investigated in 30 pigs at morphological and ultrastructural levels. Clenbuterol was given with food (1 ppm). In the first group (n=10), treatment was maintained until slaughter (experimental period 3 months). In the second group (n=10), clenbuterol was withdrawn 2 weeks before slaughter (experimental period 2.5 months). A third group (n=10) of pigs not fed with clenbuterol served as controls. Animals were slaughtered at 9 months of age and samples of testicular parenchyma were collected for light and electron microscope studies. In the clenbuterol-treated groups, the interstitial cells showed a considerable increase in the organelles involved in testosterone production, with an increased development of the mitochondria, smooth endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi apparatus and lipid droplets compared to the control group. The seminal epithelium displayed many lipid vacuoles and evident signs of tubular involution, such as degenerating and multinucleate germ cells. Sertoli cells gave evidence of metabolic alterations such as large lipid deposits and cytolysosomes. Copyright 2002 Published by Elsevier Science Ltd.

bradley
09-16-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Spartacus
is it true that hot chilli increase metabolism? Food intake, energy balance and body weight control.

Doucet E, Tremblay A.

Physical Activity Sciences Laboratory, PEPS, Laval University, Ste-Foy, Quebec, Canada.

Obesity is a multifactorial and complex affectation that is characterized by a long-term excess energy intake (EI) above energy expenditure (EE). Since fat oxidation seems to be dependent on SNS activation and also seems to remain acutely unaffected by fat intake, this macronutrient is certainly partly responsible for this situation. In addition, high-fat intake does not induce as potent satiety signals or a compensation effect on subsequent EI as do diets rich in carbohydrates or proteins. Moreover, since alcohol intake acutely inhibits fat oxidation and does not promote subsequent compensation for its energy content, it should consequently be regarded as a substrate which can induce a positive energy balance under free-living conditions. Thus, in a weight reducing context, each energy substrate should be manipulated while taking into account its specific characteristics. Obesity has also often been associated to a decreased sympathetic nervous system (SNS) activity, hence sympathomimetic agents have been proposed as a possible way to partially correct this situation. Two of these agents are the widely consumed caffeine (CAF) and the pungent principle of hot red pepper, capsaicin (CAP), which acutely increase EE and reduce EI under some circumstances. Furthermore, other factors like dietary fibers, that have been shown to increase satiety and fullness, and reduce EI in some cases, should also be considered.

Dedicated
09-16-2003, 05:39 AM
Good stuff thanks, looks like no clen for me.

Dedicated
09-16-2003, 05:44 AM
Got this from a search I did last night if anyone is interested.

Ephedrine will raise metabolic levels by about 2-3 percent and 200mg of DNP
raises metabolic levels by about 30 percent. Clenbuterol raises metabolic levels
about 10 percent and it can raise body temperature several degrees.
Too bad DNP is so dangerous 30 percent is a huge increase.

Also what is an uncoupler? I tryed dict.org but nothing came up.

bradley
09-16-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Dedicated
Got this from a search I did last night if anyone is interested.

Too bad DNP is so dangerous 30 percent is a huge increase.

Also what is an uncoupler? I tryed dict.org but nothing came up.

Here is a little Q+A article that I ran across that might be of interenst, and if you want a more scientific descrption of DNP just run a google search on "DNP and uncoupler of oxidative phosphorylation."

http://www.qfac.com/articles/intake.html

D&G
09-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Spartacus

this might not be the case for you, but if its premade (store-bought) it may not have nearly as much metabolism-raising components.

No I buy it in bags throw a few in a jug then drink it.