PDA

View Full Version : Too much cardio?

jinxx
09-11-2003, 02:44 AM
I started off way too quickly with doing my cardio. Since I had no job at the moment when I started, I basically did it 6 times a week every morning on a empty stomach, low intensity for about 30 mins. Now I recently read about HIIT sessions (on this forum) and got curious and threw it in aswell. My plan now is do the HIIT session on the morning on a empty stomach (cause I do have a job now and a HIIT session only takes like 6-7 mins) and I plan to do a 30-40 mins low intensity jog session at night. If I do this like 4-5 times a week, and still do weightlifting in the gym like 3 times a week (I do fullbody workouts cuz I've only been lifting for about 3 months now) will I be overtraining myself? Am I stressing the cardio too much here and will it just make me reach a plateau early on which will result in me not losing anymore fat anymore? I think my BF% is around 10-11 now and I want to get it down to about 7-8 I think (untill I'm happy with myself in the mirror). My diet is fine btw.

(I'll post some pics too soon enough)

W8_4_Me
09-11-2003, 07:29 AM
You won't know if you are overtraining until you try it. IMO, there's no such thing as 'too much cardio', particularly in a day and age where population is fatter and lazier than it's ever been.

Don't place too much emphasis on the term "overtraining". I find that most people use that as an excuse to slack off.

WillKuenzel
09-11-2003, 07:35 AM
I don't think I'd be doing HIIT on an empty stomach. Since its primary fuel is glycogen, if you don't have any in your stomach it'll take it from your muscles. Get a some carbs in the morning and little less protein about 30 minutes before doing HIIT.

If you want to do all that cardio then I'd do the lower intensity stuff on days that I weight-trained but I wouldn't do HIIT and weights on the same day.

As long as you are getting adequate rest and nutrition you should be fine. If either of those drops a bit I'd drop a cardio sessino or 2 until that would be remedied.

ElPietro
09-11-2003, 07:40 AM
Yeah HIIT on an empty stomach isn't that great an idea. You'd be better served doing your jogging on the empty stomach instead.

Don't worry too much about overtraining, there are too many "chicken littles" out there screaming "the sky is falling" anytime they see someone doing a lot of volume or whatever. Your body will adjust to higher or lower volume with time. As long as you give your muscle groups a day or so of rest and take in adequate calories I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Cardio can also aid in your recovery anyway, so I don't think you'll be doing too much, unless it starts conflicting with your goals, such as if you were trying to gain instead of lose weight.

jinxx
09-11-2003, 08:29 AM
Heh, thanks for the fast replies.

I guess I will switch it around and do the low intensity 30/40 mins jog sessions on a empty stomach in the morning (gonna be hard though cause I'll have to get another 45 mins earlier out of my bed) and the HIIT sessions at night. I allready did a HIIT session this morning on a empty stomach and indeed noticed that I couldn't give it as much as I could 2 days ago after I ate some oaks+milk at night. My condition is superb though (at least for me it is), when I started out I just quit smoking (cigs+weed) and ate basically anything I'd crave. Since then I totally flipped it around and started a nice diet (-500 kcals) with clean food, gave up my bad smoking habits, started lifting weights and started doing cardio every morning. The first few times I couldn't do it for longer then about 10 mins, after a few weeks though I was able to do 30/40 mins on a higher pace. I dropped my BF% from 13 (I think) to 8.7% (just measured today), got way better muscle definition and just feel better in general.

f*** overtraining :D

yay for bb and this forum.

/rant