PDA

View Full Version : Whats a bench shirt

eatdirt40
09-11-2003, 06:18 AM
What is a bench shirt mean???

Paul Stagg
09-11-2003, 09:10 AM
Its a supportive shirt used by powerlifters. It can be polyester or denim.

WillKuenzel
09-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Just some links:
http://www.titansupport.com/products/shirts/fury.htm

http://stores.skipjack.com/hop/Search.bok?keyword=bench+shirts

As to whether it helps protect the lifter during the lift or helps to aide the lifter during the lift or what, I don't know. Without actually using one, I'm not about to get into that debate. I'll let others get into that. Supposedly they can help a little in the lift. Mostly powerlifters use them to get a little bit more out of their bench.

bigkevin20
09-11-2003, 09:19 AM
its a real, real , real tight shirt that makes it hard for your arms to go down on the bench. So you need alot of weight for the bar to tuch your chest. So you can bench alot more because your whole upper body is stiff an rigid.

I think....

silles
09-14-2003, 01:01 AM
Big Kevin is right. With a bench shirt, the average trainee adds over 300 pounds to his max bench in about three or four training sessions. In fact, within two months of wearing one, you'll be capable of competing with the likes of Ed Coan and Scott Mendelson. In fact, I heard there was this one dude who used a bench shirt once, and he bench pressed 700 pounds for no reason at all, he hadn't even trained before. Now that's what I call real ultimate power!

HahnB
09-14-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by silles
Big Kevin is right. With a bench shirt, the average trainee adds over 300 pounds to his max bench in about three or four training sessions. In fact, within two months of wearing one, you'll be capable of competing with the likes of Ed Coan and Scott Mendelson. In fact, I heard there was this one dude who used a bench shirt once, and he bench pressed 700 pounds for no reason at all, he hadn't even trained before. Now that's what I call real ultimate power!

I heard he killed himself afterwards because he was so sweet.

unshift
09-14-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by HahnB

I heard he killed himself afterwards because he was so sweet.

i heard that he played an awesome guitar solo that ripped the spacetime continum and then the world exploded

eatdirt40
09-14-2003, 05:38 PM
right.........

DK
09-14-2003, 08:21 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26339&highlight=bench+shirt

eatdirt40
09-16-2003, 04:58 PM
how much weight can a bench shirt really help u if i was to wear one today then wear one tommrow how much weihghts it help by usually.

DK
09-16-2003, 06:23 PM
huh?

You won't get much out of a shirt until you learn how to properly use it.

silles
09-16-2003, 09:30 PM
Most people can expect to break world record bench presses upon using a bench shirt for three or four training sessions.

eatdirt40
09-17-2003, 08:55 AM
what the hells that mean ur sayin my max is 145 now, and ill b able to bench 300 tommorow

unshift
09-17-2003, 01:09 PM
300 is a low estimate. with the addition of a shirt, you're looking to easily break 500 or 600.

JuniorMint6669
09-17-2003, 03:04 PM
lol you guys are mean....

eatdirt: its a piece of equipment that assists you on your bench. it wont make you stronger, per se, but it will allow you to lift more weight. Unless you are a powerlifter, or have a shoulder injury, i see no reason why you would need one.

DK
09-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Some people enjoy confusing people more than helping them. This pisses me off so much.

eatdirt: with a lot of practice and a perfected form you'll be able to add numbers to numbers to your bench. That being said, I don't think your ready to be wearing a bench shirt yet.

Makaveli_786
09-20-2003, 03:17 PM
I think its about an average of a 100 pounds on your bench press when you use the shirt... I dont know if it does a lot to increase your strenght when you take the shirt off but powerlifters pay hundreds of dollars for these shirts so they must be doing something right.

Hercule
09-20-2003, 04:07 PM
How much weight you will get out of a shirt depends on what kind of shirt you use. There is Single, Double, Triple Ply Poly, then There is Single, double, Ply Denim. More thickness=more weight.

Isaac Wilkins
09-20-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Makaveli_786
I think its about an average of a 100 pounds on your bench press when you use the shirt... I dont know if it does a lot to increase your strenght when you take the shirt off but powerlifters pay hundreds of dollars for these shirts so they must be doing something right.

That's a lot of gain for a bench shirt. Only high end/very experienced lifters will see anything like that. It's certainly possible (and a bit more), but few people here will see that much gain from a shirt.

Makaveli_786
09-20-2003, 04:22 PM
I know a guy who gained a little over a 100 pounds on his bench using a shirt and he wasnt anything special... not in my opinion anyway.

DK
09-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Borris

That's a lot of gain for a bench shirt. Only high end/very experienced lifters will see anything like that. It's certainly possible (and a bit more), but few people here will see that much gain from a shirt.

:withstupi

eatdirt40
09-23-2003, 05:59 PM
i cant tell whos telling the truth and whos lying any honest answers here

Max-Mex
09-23-2003, 07:22 PM
The benefit you gain from a bench shirts depends on your experience as a powerlifter. It also depends on the shirt. Unless you are planning to compete, you really don't need one. Build up your strength first, then later on down the line, look into bench shirts if you want to compete. Most competitions allow them.

Big J
09-24-2003, 01:51 PM
I'm a collegiate powerlifter, so I know a good bit about bench shirts. Most of these guys are either full of $h*t, or are just trying to give ya h3ll.
All jokin aside, the bench shirt does absolutely nothing to help your strength. In fact it might hurt you in the long run if you use it during every workout. The shirt is extremely tight & extremely uncomfortable. If you have a good one, you will bleed afterwards! The bench shirt, on average, will increase your lift by 15-30 pounds. Beginners wont see much of a difference at all. All it does is make it hard to pull your arms down & make the bar touch your chest. Therefore, when you explode up it will be easy to get the bar off of your chest. It doesnt help on the lock-out part what-so-ever, so you need to have strong triceps.

Unless you regularly compete in bench press events or are a powerlifter, there's no need in getting a bench shirt. We only use them the day of the lift & maybe 2 weeks ahead of the meet to get used to wearing them.

That's pretty much everything that comes to mind right now.

-J-

john26
09-28-2003, 08:43 PM
honest answer:

most people here do not compete. they are talking out of their ass. in reality, a bench shirt will not give most people much. dave tate gets about a 20-30 pound carry over. in a double denim, i can get a 70ish pound carry over.

now, there are exceptions. metal militia can get upwards of 100+ pound carry overs. i know a guy who gets near 150 pound carry over. it's VERY personal, and shirts are very hard to learn, especially when you get into double denims.

that said, you do not have the experience to warrent a shirt yet. and, if you aren't competing, there is no point to them at all. they are frustrating, they hurt like a bitch, and they're expensive for good ones.

benchmonster
10-02-2003, 12:51 PM
He he. Funny stuff here.

The bench shirt is a piece of supportive equipment that, when used properly allows a person to lift more weight on the bench press, AND helps to protect the shoulder joints and pecs.

I personally use a double denim bench shirt. I have shirts from Inzer, and Karin's and one that was made by Inzer and modified by Karin.

They are not magic, and I have yet to see my shirt gets is lazy a$$ up and go lift a dammed thing by itself, but, with a shirt on, I can bench press significantly more than I can without the shirt.

I personally have benched 500 at 220, 525 @ 242 and 550 at 247 lbs bodyweight all in double denim bench shirts. I am the first to admit, I cannot bench those numbers at those bodyweights without a shirt on.

The masters at using bench shirts are the guys from metalmilitia.net they have several of the highest all time bench presses ever made. If you are serious about being a big time bench presser, go to one of their seminars and learn it from the masters, if however, you are like most on this board, who pretend to be powerlifters but never compete, then you will find very little of what I just typed interesting.

B.

ITHURTZ
10-02-2003, 05:40 PM
**** i would love to get one of those shirts and do 315x5 insteadof 260x5 makeme look better. only if it increases strength faster, other wise who cares

noraa
10-02-2003, 10:42 PM
if however, you are like most on this board, who pretend to be powerlifters but never compete, then you will find very little of what I just typed interesting
LOL :)

ChampionLifter8
10-29-2003, 06:54 PM
hey anyone got a link to a store online that sells bench shirts??

benchmonster
10-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Inzer sells them, but if you want the best shirt, get one from Karin Klein of Ohio.

I don't have a direct link, but I know you can find a number or link for Karin at growordie.com

B.

phreak
11-25-2003, 07:09 AM
Shirts can help a LOT, provided your technique and training are geared towards using them. I personally went from 396 to 450 after getting used to the shirt (mine was a stock Inzer HPHD) for 4 sessions -- and that was when my triceps were really weak. That's an increase of 14% within a really short time period. So they do work really well when used properly. My guesstimate would be that they add about 20-25% max (using a state-of-the-art shirt, not when using a stock Inzer or Titan, obviously).