PDA

View Full Version : How detrimental is a cheat day?

Destram
09-11-2003, 10:26 PM
Here's the deal. I've been cutting fairly hardcore for the past 6 weeks taking in between 1500-2500 calories daily and I've made significant gains. I have dropped probably close to 5-6% bodyfat I would imagine and have lost around 7-10 lbs. Right now I would guesstimate my bodyfat % at around 10.

Here's my question: How detrimental to my cut would it be to have one day of just total and absolute pigging out. I'm talking pizza, nachos, popcorn, everything and anything. I would guess I would probably take in around 10,000 - 15,000 calories in one day. Would this be the same as adding 1000 calories to my daily intake for 2 weeks or would my body somehow flush out the massive excess of calories so it wouldn't harm my cut as much as it would to take it more calories daily? I ask because I'm getting fairly tired of lean hamburger, tuna, and protein shakes all day and after 6 weeks my will power is starting to wane.

My body is very responsive to what I eat and I tend to gain fat and lose it very quickly, so I'm a bit worried about a cheat day. Any help that can be offered is appreciated.

Thanks.

Isaac Wilkins
09-11-2003, 10:53 PM
If you've been dieting for a long time, it probably will be helpful in the long run. You might gain some fat back, but it'll probably help you continue to lose it.

Check the refeed sticky at the top of the page. ST, Cgirl, myself and some other people touch on it.

JuniorMint6669
09-11-2003, 10:56 PM
:offtopic:Today I ate 3/4 of a pizza, two large slices of cake, a pint of ice cream. And im in pain.

anyways, your body is fairly efficient at using all of the calories you put in it. so yes, it would be pretty bad to eat 15,000 calories, if thats possible. Even with my crazy cheat day today, i only came out with just under 6000 calories.

man just thinking about trying to fit another 4-9k calories in today makes me wanna puke. anything right now makes me wanna puke. DONT DO A MASSIVE CHEAT DAY... its not worth it, ouch, pain

ryan1117
09-11-2003, 11:01 PM
:eek:
15,000 calories

I struggle to get to 4,000 with normal food. I guess junk food though would really make higher numbers easier to obtain though.

Destram
09-11-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Borris
If you've been dieting for a long time, it probably will be helpful in the long run. You might gain some fat back, but it'll probably help you continue to lose it.

Check the refeed sticky at the top of the page. ST, Cgirl, myself and some other people touch on it.

Thank you. :)

I've always been able to eat a ton, so needless to say cutting is pretty difficult. I could probably down an entire large meatlovers pizza plus a few cheese sticks and then some ice cream for 1 meal which I would think would probably be between 3000-4000 calories or more. And I'm generally hungry a lot throughout the day, so I'm just estimating that I would probably be taking in somewhere around 10,000 to 15,000 calories. I'm not sure though, I haven't really pigged out for awhile and when I did I never counted calories or anything.

SwimBabe
09-12-2003, 12:19 AM
It would be detrimental to my psychological well being if i didn't have cheat days/meals while dieting :(

bradley
09-12-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Destram
Here's the deal. I've been cutting fairly hardcore for the past 6 weeks taking in between 1500-2500 calories daily and I've made significant gains. I have dropped probably close to 5-6% bodyfat I would imagine and have lost around 7-10 lbs. Right now I would guesstimate my bodyfat % at around 10.

Here's my question: How detrimental to my cut would it be to have one day of just total and absolute pigging out. I'm talking pizza, nachos, popcorn, everything and anything. I would guess I would probably take in around 10,000 - 15,000 calories in one day. Would this be the same as adding 1000 calories to my daily intake for 2 weeks or would my body somehow flush out the massive excess of calories so it wouldn't harm my cut as much as it would to take it more calories daily? I ask because I'm getting fairly tired of lean hamburger, tuna, and protein shakes all day and after 6 weeks my will power is starting to wane.

My body is very responsive to what I eat and I tend to gain fat and lose it very quickly, so I'm a bit worried about a cheat day. Any help that can be offered is appreciated.

I would go with a planned refeed, over an all out cheat day. While I agree that eating some of the foods you enjoy will help out both metabolically and mentally, just having an all out cheat day is probably not worth it IMO.

The link below does a good job at describing refeeds.
http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

I've always been able to eat a ton, so needless to say cutting is pretty difficult. I could probably down an entire large meatlovers pizza plus a few cheese sticks and then some ice cream for 1 meal which I would think would probably be between 3000-4000 calories or more. And I'm generally hungry a lot throughout the day, so I'm just estimating that I would probably be taking in somewhere around 10,000 to 15,000 calories. I'm not sure though, I haven't really pigged out for awhile and when I did I never counted calories or anything.

You should expect some noticeable fat gain if you are going to take in 10-15K cals, and the idea is to just eat slightly over maintenance level so as to cause some spillover into fat.

geoffgarcia
09-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Think of it as stopping smoking cigs for 3 months and then asking if its ok to smoke 2 packs in one day and how it will impact you:)
*hahaha*

no really, your body will flush all that crap out, dont worry about it, at worst it will set you back 2-10 days depending on how good your diet is currently and ur current bf levels

Trent_Steel
09-12-2003, 01:04 PM
15000 cal is 15 full size cheese pizzas:thumbup:

Jasonl
09-13-2003, 09:22 PM
damn Destram, if you can pound down that much food, you should become a competitive eater and make all us WBBers proud!:D

Xand
09-13-2003, 09:54 PM
15K DUDE I WISH I HAD YOUR APPETITE!

Destram
09-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Well I did my cheat day yesterday. I actually went about until about 5pm then I was just like "screw it, I'm eating" and commenced gorging. There is this thing called Cattle Congress going on here right now and it's basically like an amusement park thing with lots of food and stuff and my family was going so I went to that.

Before we left I ate all of one of those tray-container chips ahoy cookie things with some whole milk and a bunch of hersey's candy. When we got there I ate fried cheese curds, a couple bags of miniature doughnuts, a funnel cake, taffy, and I can't remember what else, a few other things. When we got home I had a bag of ruffles sour cream and cheddar chips with some kool aid and more taffy. Followed up by some vanilla pepsi and then oreos. I know I'm forgetting some stuff, but the bottom line is I went crazy. I don't know how many calories I took in yesterday, but I'd say it easily topped out over 7-8k and the only thing I had before 5pm was a can of tuna and a 95% lean, half-pound hamburger.

I woke up at 6am this morning and spent half an hour sitting beside the toilet getting ready to puke. Luckily I didn't, but I still feel like total crap today. It's probably a good thing, because now I know that when I gorge myself and eat a ton of crap it's only going to cause me problems, so hopefully I won't be as inclined to do it.

defcon
09-14-2003, 12:59 PM
haha, i dun the same thing like a week ago.. here is a lil story :P it was the last day of my bulking cycle ( a clean bulk ) and im pretty pleaseed with the results, it was about 2 pm and i was at the mall food court.. i dunno why, but i got the idea to see how many calories i could cram down in the remainder of the day, since i was gonna start to cut the next few days anyway.. so i started.. Had a full 16 inch meat lovers pizza.. went to tim hortons and had 6 boston cream doughnuts, and 6 apple fritters. Went to wal-mart and bought 2 packs of clod hoppers ( 226 grams in a pack i believe ) then went to the grocery store and bought a pack of choc. chip cookies, and oreo cookies.. ate the both of those, then all that took like 3 hours to do, so i went home and lied down for like an hour cuz my stomach was about to blow up :P then i got up again, decided to see what else i could get down to me, went around the mall looking for the most calorie dense food.. i would of got some ice creme but i got sensitive teeth, so i bought some of this locally made fudge ( its the best stuff ever ! ) double choc. chunk was the name/flavour of it and i ate 2lbs, YES.. 2 friggin pounds of fudge ( how many calories is that?!?! ) well then i went back to the car and hated myself because what i dun the whole day was stupid and i was feeling so full i was sick, i hated myself mentally, and i wanted to die. well that night was the worst ever.. i was up the whole night with the shlts, throwing up, and all that :\ spent prolly 5 hours in the bathroom and used like 3 rolls of toilet paper! well.. the next 2-3 days i was still feeling full, couldnt eat a dam thing but i tried to eat some protein every 3-4 hours just to save a bit of muscle :P well now its finally fixed and im on my cutting diet.. and im never going to do that kinda thing again :P the most i'll do is a cheat meal/day whenever i feel i need/deserve it ( which won't be too often until i get real low bf% ) then i will do a planned refeed instead of cheat usually :) Eating unhealthy sucks! i'd like to know tho.. if i maintain my weight at 2200 cals.. and eat 15000 cals in a day, would i gain like 2 lbs of fat, or would 8000-9000 of those cals just not beable to be used?

David
09-14-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Destram

I woke up at 6am this morning and spent half an hour sitting beside the toilet getting ready to puke.

*snaps his fingers*

I knew it!!! I knew that would happen but I didn't wanna say anything. LOL. I eat really healthy and I feel really sick after eating just one slice of pizza or some ice cream, so I rarely even do it. It's like, you see it...and it just looks soooooo good...so you want it....and you end up eating it...but as soon as you eat it you're like, "why did I just eat that?!"

:)

bradley
09-14-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by defcon
i'd like to know tho.. if i maintain my weight at 2200 cals.. and eat 15000 cals in a day, would i gain like 2 lbs of fat, or would 8000-9000 of those cals just not beable to be used?

Your body is very effecient at utilizing the cals you consume, so to answer your question, yes the body will use all the calories.

Although the body does have ways of increasing calorie expenditure to compensate for the large increase in calories.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11310775&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9880251&dopt=Abstract

defcon
09-14-2003, 04:35 PM
aka.............. it would store 2 lbs of fat on my gut and take 2 weeks to lose it? :P

bradley
09-14-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by defcon
aka.............. it would store 2 lbs of fat on my gut and take 2 weeks to lose it? :P

I edited my post and included some abstracts, but you would not necessarily store all those extra cals as fat.

EdgeCrusher
09-14-2003, 11:23 PM
I think there's a difference between a cheat day and a binge day, am I wrong?

JuniorMint6669
09-15-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
I think there's a difference between a cheat day and a binge day, am I wrong?

Depends on your definitions for "cheat" and "binge". Could be the same. Could be different. Could be wrong. Could be right.