PDA

View Full Version : Protein Shake before bed

buffzilla
09-12-2003, 05:25 AM
I was wondering is a protein shake before bed a good idea.

I think the protein should help with the musscle building during sleep.:D

However I am worried that the kidneys slow down during sleep, and my blood will be polluted with an excess concentration of urea from the 25g of protein the shake will provide. :eek: Urea is quite toxic and an 8 hour high level in the blood can't be good for you.
I am I being too over cautious?

galileo
09-12-2003, 05:35 AM
Uh, yeah. Taking whey before bed is probably not the best idea because it'll be absorbed quick and out of the system. I'd go with a casein/egg blend or something else that is slowed in digestion. All digestion certainly doesn't cease at night and that will actually show some positive benefits.

buffzilla
09-12-2003, 05:38 AM
digestion doesn't stop, but the kidneys do slow down though. This might mean the kidneys can't shift all that urea the liver will be metabolising the protein in to. Urea is bad :(

galileo
09-12-2003, 05:47 AM
Trust me, people eat before bed all the time. If it was an epidemic, you'd know about it.

buffzilla
09-12-2003, 05:58 AM
But a protein shake is a pretty bug hit of urea.

galileo
09-12-2003, 06:12 AM
How big do you plan on making this protein shake?

buffzilla
09-12-2003, 06:29 AM
25grams

drew
09-12-2003, 08:18 AM
I usually eat some yogurt or cottage cheese right before bed.

If you're that worried, just cut the shake in half.

D&G
09-12-2003, 08:41 AM
If you use a casein shake the protein will be ingested very slowly over the course of around 7 hours so the 'hit' of urea is not going to be dramatic.

Spartacus
09-12-2003, 09:13 AM
i thought the kidneys slowed down because they don't have much to process when you're asleep

buffzilla
09-12-2003, 09:41 AM
No its because you can't drink or piss whilst asleep, preventing your kidneys from working at full pelt.

pusher
09-12-2003, 09:46 AM
In that case, drink a shizzle load of water before bed, that should help .

WillKuenzel
09-12-2003, 09:47 AM
While bulking I'll get a shake of about 600 calories consisting of around 60g of protein. After 9 hours I was still alive and woke up to workout. Dude, you are being paranoid.

buffzilla
09-12-2003, 09:55 AM
The kidneys will not be able to remove a lot of water in yout blood if you drink it before going to bed.

Maybee its ok, I just wondered if the body would be busy, undoing the damage caused by the urea, whilst asleep - instead of growing me some musscle.

But hey I'm no biologist, this is just conjecture, that I hoped some one could help clarify for me

mstar
09-15-2003, 05:51 AM
what about milk added to whey? or designer wheys "GlycerLEAN" (time release protien)

any comments?

bradley
09-15-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by mstar
what about milk added to whey?

This will slow the digestion of the whey due to the casein content of the milk, and if the milk contains fat this will further slow the rate of digestion.

The most recent WBB Roundtable discusses this topic, which can be found on the WBB main page.

or designer wheys "GlycerLEAN" (time release protien)

The whole point of whey is to be a fast acting (anabolic) protein, so if you make it "time released" (delay digestion/absorption) you might as well save your money and buy a blended protein, egg protein, or casein.

geoffgarcia
09-15-2003, 09:38 AM
proteinfactory.com has a good night shake that I take before bed, also helps to toss down a spoon of fat!

PizDoff
10-18-2003, 09:41 AM
Pardon the resurrection but.....

How much protein should one have before bed?

On a no weight training day?
On a weight training day?

I generally try to have at least 10-20 grams of protein before bed on a non- weight training day and 25-more gram on a weight training day.

bradley
10-18-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by PizDoff
How much protein should one have before bed?

There is no way to determine an exact amount, but if I were to make an educated guess I would say 20-30g would be plenty. Although this would also depend on your protein intake for the day, timing of your last meal your last meal, amount of protein in that meal, meal composition, etc. Just take in a slow digesting protein source and maybe throw in a little fat which should be sufficient.

On a no weight training day?
On a weight training day?

I would just take in the same amount both days.:)

PizDoff
10-18-2003, 01:57 PM
yeapers, that's kinda along the lines of what i though

Scott S
10-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Just eat some cottage cheese before bed. I've eaten a cup or two before bed in the past and lived to tell about it. :D