PDA

View Full Version : Chewing Gum Question?

defcon
09-13-2003, 07:45 AM
In a stick of gum ( suger free ) it lists that there are 3 calories in it, i was wondering do you consume the full 3 calories if you don't sallow the gum? like, just chew it and then spit it out 30 mins later or so when the taste is gone? Soooooooooooooo if you don't actually eat the gum do we get all 3 calories, or only 1.5 calories or what.. thanx for your time...

bradley
09-13-2003, 07:59 AM
Yes you will derive some calories from the gum, even though you are not actually ingesting the gum itself. The calories would be attributed to the sugar alcohols, but sugar alcohols have a low digestability, therefore the calories derived from them would be negligible.

defcon
09-13-2003, 08:31 AM
cuz im coming off a bulking cycle now, and when i get a craving for food ( im not hungry, just mentally i feel like i should be eating more ) so i chew on sum gum, i go through about a pack a day :P so that would be nearly 40 calories, so i was wondering if i should count those into my daily total?

Dedicated
09-13-2003, 11:44 AM
I also chew tons of gum and I don't count them, but I do keep track of my calories for other foods etc. It's nice to taste something sweet every once and a while I think that's why I chew so much gum.

mercury
09-13-2003, 12:07 PM
I would think that just chewing the gum would burn the 3 calories, making it a "non-issue".

Spartacus
09-13-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by mercury
I would think that just chewing the gum would burn the 3 calories, making it a "non-issue".

replying to this thread probably took 10 calories. ;)

defcon
09-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Spartacus

replying to this thread probably took 10 calories. ;)

True :P

IronDaddy
09-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Actually chewing gum burns about 11 calories. (There was an article in the paper a couple years back.) I probably wouldn't replace your cardio just yet though...

buffzilla
09-16-2003, 02:47 PM
Eat sugar free chewing gum.
Sugar free cheing gum -> healthy teeth
Sugar loaded gum -> black smelly rotten teeth

defcon
09-16-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by defcon
In a stick of gum ( suger free ) it lists that there are 3 calories in it, i was wondering do you consume the full 3 calories if you don't sallow the gum? like, just chew it and then spit it out 30 mins later or so when the taste is gone? Soooooooooooooo if you don't actually eat the gum do we get all 3 calories, or only 1.5 calories or what.. thanx for your time...

I will qoute myself.. it is suger free :)