PDA

View Full Version : Bulking and HIIT

Stally
09-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi there!

Been checking out the forum and it looks great. Lucky I stumbled on it. At the moment I am on a bulking phase. Currently Im 161lb and gaining a 0.5 - 1lb a week using the WBB1 program. My goal is to reach 175lb and then to cut up.

I have read a few things about HIIT. Is this a training protocol one would use after the bulking phase or would it be something you could possibly incorporate whilst using a suitable bulking program.

Any advise appreciated

Jasonl
09-14-2003, 11:40 AM
its something you should use after bulking up. using HIIT while bulking would probably cut into your gains more than just hitting the treadmill for 30mins 1-2 times a week to maintain your cardio endurance.

jinxx
09-14-2003, 11:57 AM
I think it will still benefit you even while bulking.

unshift
09-14-2003, 12:03 PM
i can't see why there would be a problem with it

eatdirt40
09-14-2003, 05:19 PM
HITT is great for cutting fat off you while mainting muscle... whats not good about that?

drew
09-15-2003, 06:59 AM
HIIT is great for bulking.

Bryan
09-15-2003, 10:14 AM
HIIT uses about half the calories of regular cardio yet it burns more fat, its like the holy grail of bulking cardio if you can do it ;]

Stally
09-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Ok thanks for the replies guys.

Bryan....Does this mean that HIIT will not cut into my gains as much as regular cardio?

At the moment I struggle to consume approx 3200 calories a day. The prospect of force feeding myself to build muscle just to burn a substantial amount from HIIT would...well how can I say this .. really upset me! :cry:

Cheers

drew
09-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Stally
Bryan....Does this mean that HIIT will not cut into my gains as much as regular cardio?
Correctamundo! :thumbup:

aka23
09-15-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Stally
Does this mean that HIIT will not cut into my gains as much as regular cardio?

If done in the desired manner, I would not expect cardio to significantly cut into your gains, for both HIIT and traditional cardio. If not done in the desired manner, cardio may cut into your gains via calorie balance, overtraining, muscle catabolism, and a few other ways that I consider less significant.

Doing cardio burns calories. If you do not eat more to make up for these calories, then the cardio may interfere with your gains. I would recommend eating enough calories so that you gain weight at your desired rate and ignoring calorie formulas. Which type of cardio presents the greater risk calorie balance risk depends on intensity and duration. Traditional cardio usually burns more calories during the activity. HIIT cardio usually burns more calories afterwards, by increasing metabolism. Both may increase appetite, so that you feel like eating more.

Overtraining can result in poor muscle gains, or even muscle loss. Cardio can increase the risk of overtraining, especially overtraining the legs. This risk is greatest for high intensity types of cardio, such as HIIT; and high impact, weight bearing types of cardio, like running. You can minimize this risk by not doing such sessions on sequential days or near leg day. If you want to train more than 3x per week, some options are to switch activities on sequential days and/or add in some lower intensity sessions.

During cardio the primary fuels are glucose/glycogen and fats. A small portion of energy comes from proteins, but this amount is usually insignificant. It usually only becomes significant when glycogen levels get very low. For the most part, the small amount of protein used comes from amino acid stores. If the stores are low or in certain other special situations, the body may catabolize muscle. The risk of catabolism is dependent on exercise intensity, exercise duration, diet, when exercise is performed, and previous training, among other things. This risk is highest when doing high intensity sessions for long durations, or when doing high intensity sessions in low glyogen conditions.

The risk of catabolism is closely related to decreasing glycogen levels. Glycogen usage increases dramatically as intensity increases. It may take approximately 170 minutes to decrease muscle glycogen levels in half at 70% V02 max (moderate intensity endurance exercise), approximately 50 minutes at 85% V02 max (high intensity endurance execise), or 15 minutes at 150% V02 max (sprint portion of HIIT). These numbers come from The Lore of Running, by Noakes.

The size of the glycogen reserves is effected by diet and training. Glycogen reserves may be about 30% higher on a high (70%) carb diet than a moderate (45%) carb diet. Atheltic training increases the size even more. Under nearly complete glycogen depletion as might occur with a keto type diet, the risk of catabolism is high. Under these extreme conditions, as much as 10% of the energy in a 1 hour cardio session may come from protein (both amino acids reserve and muscle protein). There are certain other times where the risk is also high. First thing in the morning on an empty stomach, liver glycogen levels may be nearly empty. Muscle glycogen levels may be high, but the brain cannot use muscle glycogen. The body may use protein and/or muscle to make up for the low liver glycogen levels. The risk is also high after a weight training session since glycogen levels are lower.