PDA

View Full Version : My planned diet to bring me to 185

snow
09-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Right now I'm at 165, I'm shooting for 185 because right now I'm hitting a rut in my routines, and my weight will not go up. So here's my gameplan.. on top of lifting heavy..

meal 1
3 Scrambled Eggs
1 Banana
2 Cups of Oatmeal

meal 2
cup of Tuna
cup of Cheese
2 tbs Olive Oil
Lettuce

meal 3
2 Cups of Rice with Beans
2 Cups of Soy Milk

meal 4
Michelina Meal (Typically Zita, Lasagna, Mac&Cheese)

meal 5
2 Natty PB & Js

meal 6
2 Cups Total Raisan Bran
1 cups of Soy Milk

I am a poor man, so I am doing what I can with my budget. Substitute foods = beef, chicken, fish when I feel like cooking it. Maybe some Ramen noodles too, I gotta rep the college life! Also, on days of workouts, supplementing Creatine and Whey protein, and maybe glutamine.

Not counting the shake days, this should equate to 4,410 calories a day. 219 grams of protein.

How's this sound?

blazini
09-14-2003, 06:13 PM
I'd recalculate the calorie count. Meals like those don't add up to 4,400.

Re-think your diet bro. It's lightweight, but I understand your financial situation.

Ditch the protein shake and invest in a weight gainer. Not only does it have whey protein, but it consists of calories that would help you out during a bulk.

snow
09-14-2003, 06:51 PM
What do you mean it's lightweight, it definitely adds up? I thought that was all good, and healthy food to put on some lean mass. And I've tried Weightgainer, and it really didn't do much but make me near puke when I drank it. Plus, who needs weightgainer when you're getting the calories you need through good tasting food?

AstronautJones
09-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Check out Narcissus' journal. That boy knows how to bulk.

bradley
09-15-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by snow
Not counting the shake days, this should equate to 4,410 calories a day. 219 grams of protein.

Approximately how many cals were you taking in before beginning your current bulking diet? I would not just increase cals to 4,400 and I would recommend slowly increasing cals over the course of a few weeks, until you are gaining ~.51lb. per week. There is no need to just jump into a high calorie bulking diet, which could lead to excess fat gain.

The food choices look pretty good, although I would try to include some omega-3 fats in there somewhere along the way, and carbs and protein post workout. You might could try some cleaner foods for meal 4, but it is not essential by any means.:)

snow
09-15-2003, 10:05 AM
Well bradley, my average calorie count was at 3,800 before I moved out to my new house. However, I wasn't really putting weight on. Since then, everything has been hectic, but now that I've finally settled in and have some money, I can get serious again. And pardon the stupidity, but what foods have omega3? And what are some good carbs or protein sources for post-workout? Thanks !

Dedicated
09-15-2003, 10:14 AM
Salmon is good for omega 3, but rather expensive compared to mackerel. I had some mackerel yesterday and it's not so bad and very inexpensive. You can buy it canned it's great. Also nuts are a good source, just don't go overboard, nuts can add up quick they are super calorie dense. So Salmon, Nuts, and Mackerel are all I can really think of. This is why it might be a good idea to buy some EFA's, like fish oil caps and take those also.

Your diet looks rock solid though with the exception of the healthy fats and pre/postworkout shakes. I love soy milk!:D

snow
09-15-2003, 10:40 AM
thanks dedicated! but.. what am i missing for healthy fats? only thing i could think of was olive oil. also, suggetsion for pre/postworkout shakes? usually all i do is some soy milk, creatine, and whey. maybe throw in some peanut butter for caloric intake.

bradley
09-15-2003, 10:48 AM
Well bradley, my average calorie count was at 3,800 before I moved out to my new house. However, I wasn't really putting weight on. Since then, everything has been hectic, but now that I've finally settled in and have some money, I can get serious again.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning.:) I would just keep an eye on how much weight you are gaining each week, and adjust your daily calories accordingly.

And pardon the stupidity, but what foods have omega3? And what are some good carbs or protein sources for post-workout? Thanks !

Good whole food sources would be foods such as oily fish, walnuts, and flaxseeds.

You can also supplement with fish oil or flaxseed oil to ensure that you are getting enough n-3 fats in your diet.

Ideally pre/post workout should include a fast digesting protein source (whey) and high GI carbs such as dextrose and/or maltodextrin.

If you are looking to use whole food, just make sure the carbs are high GI (white bread, bagels, white rice, Smarties candy, etc.)and lean protein sources (egg whites, etc.), because fat should be kept minimal pre and post workout.

RuLess
09-15-2003, 06:39 PM
get some fish oil pills in there.. almonds etc..

tuna is cheap.. down it..

g'l man

pz

snow
09-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Where can I get some fish oil pills?

RuLess
09-15-2003, 07:06 PM
GNC.. They're cheap too...

snow
09-15-2003, 07:14 PM
good deal, but what do they do?

SquareHead
09-15-2003, 07:19 PM
That would help you take in the omega3 fats Bradly mentioned. Rather cheap way too. Just more healthy fats to add to youre diet. Somthing people often over look!

bradley
09-16-2003, 03:18 AM
good deal, but what do they do?

Here are a couple of articles/abstracts that might be of interest and should provide the information that you are looking for, but if you have more specific questions, please post them.:)

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/70/3/560S
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10901194&dopt=Abstract
http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/131/4/1129
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2141757&dopt=Abstract

bradley
09-16-2003, 03:27 AM
Where can I get some fish oil pills?

You can purchase them online, or at just about any health store. I usually purchase mine from Sam's, which I have found to be the least expensive.

geoffgarcia
09-16-2003, 12:47 PM
I'd avoid the soy milk...I hear its great for women but does bad things to men

I hope that Michelina has a ton of calories in it, otherwise I can't see how your getting to 4k calories...thats a big number...sure you dont mean like 2600? your meals just dont look that big

How much do you have to spend per week on food?

I spend about 30$-40$ a week on food....
2 whole 7lb chickens = 16$ provides most of the protein you'll need for a week
1 bag brown rice = 4$, enough in 1 bag to last you 2-3 weeks
3lbs mixed veggies = 5$ enough to last 1 week
3 cartons egg whites = 6$ lasts 1 week
Thats what I eat for the most part, week in and week out...I can't imagine that your spending less with what you have on your menu

bradley
09-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia

Can you posts references to back up this statement?

geoffgarcia
09-16-2003, 02:26 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=soy+male+negative+effects&btnG=Google+Search

snow
09-16-2003, 04:18 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=soy+male+negative+effects&btnG=Google+Search

The conflicting reports about soy's estrogenic effects have caused concern and confusion to many parents and parents-to-be. Ever since findings on isoflavones ability to "mimic" estrogen has surfaced, all kinds of rumors about soy's negative effects have emerged. Some of these misinformed statements include: it will make male infants more effeminate; it can lower the libido; it causes males to get larger breasts.

However, I have found that most of these rumors are unsubstantiated, and that there have been no reports or studies published from credible sources that indicate that they are in fact true. Soy foods have been used in Asian countries for well over two thousand years, without causing fertility problems or interfering with the hormones of their male population.

:confused:

snow
09-16-2003, 04:20 PM

I hope that Michelina has a ton of calories in it, otherwise I can't see how your getting to 4k calories...thats a big number...sure you dont mean like 2600? your meals just dont look that big

How much do you have to spend per week on food?

I spend about 30$-40$ a week on food....
2 whole 7lb chickens = 16$ provides most of the protein you'll need for a week
1 bag brown rice = 4$, enough in 1 bag to last you 2-3 weeks
3lbs mixed veggies = 5$ enough to last 1 week
3 cartons egg whites = 6$ lasts 1 week
Thats what I eat for the most part, week in and week out...I can't imagine that your spending less with what you have on your menu

When I get more time, I'll post each meals calorie count, but I calculated it out on fitday, and it came to around 4,400

bradley
09-16-2003, 04:26 PM

I was referring to some sort of published article/study by a reputable source, not a google search. Everything that you read on google is not necessarily true.

bradley
09-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Effect of protein source on resistive-training-induced changes in body composition and muscle size in older men.

Haub MD, Wells AM, Tarnopolsky MA, Campbell WW.

Department of Human Nutrition, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA. haub@humec.ksu.edu

BACKGROUND: Aging is associated with reductions in muscle mass and strength, but nutrition and exercise interventions can delay this progression and enhance the quality of life. OBJECTIVE: We examined whether the predominant source of protein consumed by older men influenced measures of muscle size and strength, body composition, resting energy expenditure, and skeletal muscle creatine concentrations in response to 12 wk of resistive training. DESIGN: After consuming a lactoovovegetarian (LOV) diet for 2 wk, 21 men aged 65 +/- 5 y were randomly assigned to either consume a beef-containing (BC) diet (n = 10) or to continue the LOV diet (n = 11) throughout resistive training. The BC diet included 0.6 g protein. kg(-1). d(-1) from beef and the LOV diet included 0.6 g protein. kg(-1). d(-1) from textured vegetable protein (soy) sources. The remaining protein in the diets came from self-selected LOV sources. RESULTS: The mean total protein intake for both groups ranged from 1.03 to 1.17 g. kg(-1). d(-1) during the intervention. Men in both groups had improvements (14-38%) in maximal dynamic strength of all the muscle groups trained with no significant difference between groups. With resistive training, cross-sectional muscle area of the vastus lateralis increased in both groups (4.2 +/- 3.0% and 6.0 +/- 2.6% for the LOV and BC groups, respectively) with no significant difference between groups. Body composition, resting energy expenditure, and concentrations of muscle creatine, phosphocreatine, and total creatine did not differ significantly between groups or change over time. CONCLUSIONS: These data suggest that increases in muscle strength and size were not influenced by the predominant source of protein consumed by older men with adequate total protein intake.

---------------

There are plenty of studies that show soy to be beneficial, and also some that state soy can lower testosterone, but I do not think that would be a concern unless soy was your primary protein source.

Yes, soy does contain phytoestrogens, but I have seen articles stating that the weak phytoestrogens can actually be beneficial. Here is an older thread that touches on the topic.:)

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31394&highlight=soy+protein

snow
09-18-2003, 06:25 PM
bradley, or anyone.. any idea of how many calories, or the nutritional value of flaxseed, not the oil.. the seeds?

bradley
09-19-2003, 02:03 AM
bradley, or anyone.. any idea of how many calories, or the nutritional value of flaxseed, not the oil.. the seeds?

3 tablespoons
140 calories
5g protein
11g carbs
10g fat
6g fiber

snow
09-23-2003, 08:53 PM
:eek: 80 bucks for all this food for a month, give or take a few bucks