PDA

View Full Version : my goals and routine.

mstar
09-15-2003, 06:10 AM
hello folks, i wanted for ages add my goals here as it seems to me people are either bulking/cutting.

My goal is simply maintain/lower my BF but build muscle mass (don't shoot me down i want to be like shawn phillips lol). I know people say its not possible but i watch my diet well as i can and train hard. based on my calculations i need 180g of protien a day (30 per meal) i noooway meet this (i am very busy person :( ) so i tend to have protien meals 3 times a day )trying to build my protien req up)

My routine is WBB1/2/3 and 2-3 days cardio. i take protien shake after each workout (not much carbs as i train at night) i have a meal with carbs/protien

Any suggestions i could to towards diet wise? increase carbs on weight training days? or cardio days (which will be rest days from weight training days)

jinxx
09-15-2003, 08:53 AM
Building muscle and lower your BF% is nearly impossible, maybe you could gain a little of muscle if you were just starting out (lifting) but you wont grow much. So it's either cutting or bulking. If your BF is between 6-14% I'd definately bulk and then get rid of that fat covering your newly made muscles.

Protein shake after a workout is good, you could add some dextro sugar with it (fast carbs).

Your diet is prolly the most important thing anyways, so I can't really say if its good or not if you dont post a scheme on what you eat.

mstar
09-15-2003, 09:28 AM
meal 1 8:30am:
MRP + fish oil cap

meal 2: 10:30am
2 chicken sandwiches + some protien shake

meal 3: 2-2:30pm
can of sardines/tuna salad or (2 chicken sandwiches + some protien shake)

meal 4 5pm:
1-2 sandwhichs and protien shake

workout 6:15-7:15

protien shake 7:30

meal 5 8:15pm:
chicken breasts + veg or patatoes

meal 6 (bedtime) 11pm:
protien shake.

thats it really i take sandwhices to work as i dnt have time to make a better lunch etc because of my 9-5 desk job.
i have my shake to keep up my protien intake.

bradley
09-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by mstar
My goal is simply maintain/lower my BF but build muscle mass (don't shoot me down i want to be like shawn phillips lol). I know people say its not possible but i watch my diet well as i can and train hard. based on my calculations i need 180g of protien a day (30 per meal) i noooway meet this (i am very busy person :( ) so i tend to have protien meals 3 times a day )trying to build my protien req up)

It is very possible, but the probability of you adding a significant amount of muscle while reducing bf is low.

[/b]
My routine is WBB1/2/3 and 2-3 days cardio. i take protien shake after each workout (not much carbs as i train at night) i have a meal with carbs/protien[/b]

Even though you train in the evening, I would still take in carbs around your training, which will restore lost muscle glycogen and aid in recovery.

Any suggestions i could to towards diet wise? increase carbs on weight training days? or cardio days (which will be rest days from weight training days)

Here are some general guidelines:

- take in ~1g of protein per lb. of bw
- ~25% of your daily cals from fat (healthy fats/EFAs)
- adjust your daily calorie intake up or down in small increments each week, depending on your goals

geoffgarcia
09-15-2003, 09:32 AM
where there is a will there is a way.
We are all busy people, half the people in here are in HS or College and balancing jobs, others are working full time jobs or on the road working....we all have to set our priorities
if you want a high protein diet you'll find a way to do it.

Lowering BF and gaining muscle are kinda opposites usually.
To build muscle it helps if you take in extra calories.
To lose BF it helps if you take in less calories.
You want to do both and that causes a bit of a conflict.
You can try to do both and you will see slow gains and progress.
If you flip flop between cutting and bulking your gains and progress will be much faster, which is why most of us train this way.
hope that helps a little

bradley
09-15-2003, 09:34 AM
meal 1 8:30am:
MRP + fish oil cap

meal 2: 10:30am
2 chicken sandwiches + some protien shake

meal 3: 2-2:30pm
can of sardines/tuna salad or (2 chicken sandwiches + some protien shake)

meal 4 5pm:
1-2 sandwhichs and protien shake

workout 6:15-7:15

protien shake 7:30

meal 5 8:15pm:
chicken breasts + veg or patatoes

meal 6 (bedtime) 11pm:
protien shake.

thats it really i take sandwhices to work as i dnt have time to make a better lunch etc because of my 9-5 desk job.
i have my shake to keep up my protien intake.

Looks as though you are taking in plenty of protein, but this would depend on how much you weigh. You might need to add in more fat to a couple of your meals, and throw in some carbs with your post workout shake. Also what type of protein are consuming for your last meal? If it is 100% whey I would mix it with milk and/or some fat to slow the absorption, since whey is digested at a rapid rate.

mstar
09-15-2003, 10:57 AM
bradley i take designer whey GlycerLEAN (time release protien) and i add half milk and half water. I know diet could be better but i weigh 12.5 stones and i know my body fat is not >11%
i keep protien high due to the cardio i do.

Do u think my aim (maintain/lower BF and build Muscle) is realistic?
I dnt want BF due to bulking as i want to TRY to look good all year round :)

bradley
09-15-2003, 11:05 AM

It will be difficult to add LBM without adding any bf, but if you concentrate on adding a small amount of weight each week, then you should be able to minimize increases in bf.

Bulking is not necessarily an appropriate word to describe what most people try to accomplish when attempting to add LBM. Bulking seems to imply that you are eating everything in an effort to gain mass, and a better term would be overfeeding or gaining.

If you are no hurry to add LBM then just concentrate on small increases in weight, and adjust your calorie intake accordingly. Remember what works for one person will not necessarily work for you and vice versa, and dieting is very much a trial and error process.:)

aka23
09-15-2003, 11:41 AM

It depends on many factors. Two key ones are your training history and your body fat. Gaining muscle while losing fat is relatively common among untrained and overweight persons. Some studies which found this effect are listed below.

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/DietExStudy.html
http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WTCalLBWStudy.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3337037&dopt=Abstract

You can find studies where subjects gained muscle and lost fat with strength training alone, strength training + cardio, or cardio alone (usually HIIT type). In such studies the subjects are almost always overweight or untrained, usually both.

As a person becomes more trained, it becomes more difficult to gain muscle, and gaining muscle usually requires a postive calorie balance. Similarly the body likes to maintain a certain body fat set point. As body fat decreases, it becomes increasingly difficult to continue to lose fat, and gaining muscle while losing fat becomes more difficult.

This body fat set point can be manipulated in several ways including improving training (weightlifting, doing cardio), dietary changes, and supplementation. Certain types of exercises have more effect than others. A trained/lean person may be able to gain muscle and lose fat by eating near maintenence calories and using such methods, but at some point they will also reach a plateau where further changes are not possible. For example, prior to my injury, I gained about 15 lbs muscle while losing about 0.5lb fat. I started out both trained and lean. Most of my fat loss occured towards the start. After I reached a certain bf, fat loss slowed down to the point that it was insignificant.

Generally it is more efficient to focus on one activity or the other - gaining muscle or losing fat. You can minimize the amount of fat gained or muscle lost by eating near calorie maintenance (such that you gain/lose under 1lb per week), and by doing a combination of weightlifting and cardio.