PDA

View Full Version : I have some simple diet questions, please help

wannagetcut
09-16-2003, 12:16 AM
I, I just have some simple questions. I'm 17, about 5"6 and weigh 147.9lbs.

1) When I am on the treadmill, are the calories i am burning the same calories i am intaking when i drink for instance gatorade? meaning, if the treadmill reads "100 calories" lost and i drink a bottle of gatorade that has 100 calories, have i done nothing? Should I drop flavored refreshments altogether?

2) Everyone has told me to eat more meals a day but less amounts. How many meals should I eat and how many hours should i space them out?

3) How much meat and bread is too much? Also, should I drop milk and eggs because of the calories and fat??

4) How do you convert fat grams to calories?

5) How many pounds a month would a *realistic* goal for me with my setup be??

6) what has saturated fat besides burgers?

i don't want to take any shakes, pills or steroids of any kind.

Thank you in advance.

RoidRage
09-16-2003, 12:44 AM
dude all I can say is search.

Dedicated
09-16-2003, 06:03 AM
Just count calories man, it's the best way, cause then you know you have to lose weight if you give your body no other choice but to.

geoffgarcia
09-16-2003, 01:02 PM
1) yeah, the treadmill gives you a general breakdown, you personally might burn more or less.... regardless taking anything that has no protein or carbs is considered a waste of calories, so yes you should stop with the flavored refreshments and stick with water
2) as many as possible...if you could get an IV drip of vitamins and sustenance all day that would be ideal.... keep it simple...I find 5-8 is good I find...its hard at first, but once your in the routine it gets sooo much easier...
Breakfast at 8:30
early lucnh at 11:30
2nd lunch at 3
pre workout shake at 5:30
post workout shake at 7
dinner at 9
late night snack at 11
PM shake at 12
3) when you say meat I'm assuming you mean beef/pork? I'd avoid it completely there is way to much fat and calories, stick with chicken/turkey/fish you get more bang for your buck. Also I'd avoid bread and stick with vegetable, brown rice, wheat pasta for your carbs
4) 4* fat grams = calories I believe
5) depends on how strict you are with your diet. I'd say 1lb per week but since you asked so many questions lets say 2lbs per week just because I'm gonna have to assume your not going to be strict with this. meaning its HARD to get enough calories in a day
Finally, whats the gripe with protein shakes? they are the cheapest source of protein available...your wallet will thank you if you change your mind

bradley
09-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
1) yeah, the treadmill gives you a general breakdown, you personally might burn more or less.... regardless taking anything that has no protein or carbs is considered a waste of calories, so yes you should stop with the flavored refreshments and stick with water

Well unless it contains alcohol and/or fat then it would be calorie free.:D

2) as many as possible...if you could get an IV drip of vitamins and sustenance all day that would be ideal.... keep it simple...I find 5-8 is good I find...its hard at first, but once your in the routine it gets sooo much easier...
Breakfast at 8:30
early lucnh at 11:30
2nd lunch at 3
pre workout shake at 5:30
post workout shake at 7
dinner at 9
late night snack at 11
PM shake at 12

3-4 meals per day will be just as good as 5-8, and the only advantage that I see with more frequent meals is that it is easy to take in more cals throughout the day. Overall calorie balance at the end of the day will be the determining factor as to whether you gain or lose weight.

3) when you say meat I'm assuming you mean beef/pork? I'd avoid it completely there is way to much fat and calories, stick with chicken/turkey/fish you get more bang for your buck. Also I'd avoid bread and stick with vegetable, brown rice, wheat pasta for your carbs

I see nothing wrong with lean cuts of beef and pork and the calorie content is comparable to other lean meats.

4) 4* fat grams = calories I believe

One gram of fat contains 9 calories.

5) depends on how strict you are with your diet. I'd say 1lb per week but since you asked so many questions lets say 2lbs per week just because I'm gonna have to assume your not going to be strict with this. meaning its HARD to get enough calories in a day

For a natural trainer, I would shoot for .5-1lb increase per week, and if you were to gain 2lbs. consistently each week, I would think that you are putting on excessive bf.

geoffgarcia
09-16-2003, 02:30 PM
ooop I meant 1lb every other week, not 2 per week.
also for #1 I consider excessive carbs in sugars a waste..suppose I should have made it more clear

for #3 isn't a cup of chicken lower in calories+fat+protein than a cup of beef? and isn't lean beef more expensive than chicken anyway?

bradley
09-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
ooop I meant 1lb every other week, not 2 per week.
also for #1 I consider excessive carbs in sugars a waste..suppose I should have made it more clear

Simple sugars can be beneficial when taken around your workouts, so to call them a waste would not be accurate IMO. They should just be properly timed.:)

Although I know what you are saying.

for #3 isn't a cup of chicken lower in calories+fat+protein than a cup of beef? and isn't lean beef more expensive than chicken anyway?

It would depend on what cuts you were referring to, and where you purchased the meat.

I know that I use 96% lean ground beef, which has 130 cals 4g fat 24g protein per 4oz. and is comparable in calories/fat/protein and price to boneless skinless chicken breasts.

All I am saying is that a blanket statement to avoid all beef and pork is not necessary as they are a good source of protein/minerals, low in fat (depending on the cut in question), and can also add variety to your diet.

wannagetcut
09-16-2003, 04:59 PM
i should have specified this, i wam trying to lose weight. (btw i dont eat pork).

so chicken or beef?? and how many calories a day should i intake for losing weight?

bradley
09-16-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by wannagetcut
so chicken or beef?? and how many calories a day should i intake for losing weight?

The easiest way to determine this would be to decrease your daily cals in small increments each week until you are losing ~1lb. per week. You can use a site such as www.fitday.com to help you track your cals.