PDA

View Full Version : How long do you cut and bulk?

geoffgarcia
09-16-2003, 12:02 PM
I have decided that I'm going to bulk up for the winter...probably till around Nov-Dec
is that to long or to short?
I'm currently around 8-9% at 180
what kinda goal should I shoot for by Dec?
I just started HST wk1 yesterday.
I eat well and monitor my diet daily
is 13% at 193 to big a goal?

JuniorMint6669
09-16-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
I have decided that I'm going to bulk up for the winter...probably till around Nov-Dec
is that to long or to short?
I'm currently around 8-9% at 180
what kinda goal should I shoot for by Dec?
I just started HST wk1 yesterday.
I eat well and monitor my diet daily
is 13% at 193 to big a goal?

:D Are you just guessing your bodyfat? I would kill to be 180@8-9% or even 193@13% but... for you...
180@8% = 14.4 lbs fat 165.6 lbs LBM
193@13% = 25.09 lbs fat 167.91 lbs LBM

Ouch that would suck to gain 11 lbs of fat and 2 pounds of muscle. Lets hope this doesnt happen

So ignoring that... if you dont mind gaining some fat, you could bulk indefinatly, and until nov/dec is definatly a possibility, if that helps you attain your goals. I would try to aim for ~1 pound gain per week. This will help you put on less fat than if you gained, say, 2 lbs per week. By the end of december, you should be able to put on 13 pounds, but hopefully not as much fat as you predicted :D

hemants
09-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Length of time is not as important as the bf% you reach.

I don't have specific numbers but studies have shown that the fatter you are, the higher percentage of weight gained is fat. (ie. lean people gain 70% muscle whereas fat people gain much less).

So if your bulking cycle takes you from 8% to 14% (for example, you have to decide what you're comfortable with) then this could be weeks or months depending on how disciplined you are.

jinxx
09-16-2003, 01:27 PM
Im at 8.5 BF% currently and planning to start bulking.

Till what BF% you guys think I should bulk before cutting again?
And whats win/loose ratio on cutting bulking (ie. how much muscle that I gained during bulking will get lost cause of cutting again?)

geoffgarcia
09-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Junior, nope I'm not guessing at my bf, I've gotten it measured regularly by calipers over the last few years and have switched to using a Tanita body fat scale recently
Last summer I was 173 at 7% bf
now I'm pretty sure I'm 180 at 8-9%
(the calipers and scales help but now I can kinda guesstimate myself at the striations/vascularity etc in my body)

Also I'm all upper body with very little legs which I've been working on lately.

If I can keep my bf low that would be great, the idea of 13% isn'tvery appealing but I thought I read that if your bulking you want to be in the 11-12% range as its ideal for building muscle?

I guess there is only one way to find out:)
You can check my journal for progress!

bradley
09-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by jinxx
Till what BF% you guys think I should bulk before cutting again?

It really comes down to personal goals, but I would end a bulking cycle when you start to notice that you are gaining an increased amount of fat along with LBM. Another option would be to set a limit on how high you are going to let your bf% increase (15% or so), or you could just continue gaining until your clothes become too small.:)

And whats win/loose ratio on cutting bulking (ie. how much muscle that I gained during bulking will get lost cause of cutting again?)

Depends on your diet and training. If you concentrate on losing a small amount of weight each week, you should be able to decrease the amount of LBM that you lose.

bradley
09-16-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
Junior, nope I'm not guessing at my bf, I've gotten it measured regularly by calipers over the last few years and have switched to using a Tanita body fat scale recently
Last summer I was 173 at 7% bf
now I'm pretty sure I'm 180 at 8-9%
(the calipers and scales help but now I can kinda guesstimate myself at the striations/vascularity etc in my body)

I would not put much stock in the Tanita scales, but they can give a decent estimate as your progress. Just make sure to weigh yourself under the same conditions, each time you weigh in.

If I can keep my bf low that would be great, the idea of 13% isn'tvery appealing but I thought I read that if your bulking you want to be in the 11-12% range as its ideal for building muscle?

Everything that I have seen, states that the leaner you are the easier it is to gain muscle.

jinxx
09-17-2003, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the fast reply bradley.

You know your **** :)

BobbyRS
09-17-2003, 08:30 AM
I've gotten it measured regularly by calipers over the last few years and have switched to using a Tanita body fat scale recently

What Bradley said.... Those scales aren't as accurate as measuring with calipers, but they can still be used to track progress (considering all things consistent). Those scales use Bio-electrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) to determine the amount of fat on your body. Since fat is low-impedance and muscle and water are high impedance, the scale determines what percentage of your body mass is fat versus muscle. If you compare the numbers you get from skinfolds and BIA, there will probably be some disparity. On any given day, your levels of hydration can change significantly, which can cause inaccurate measurements. I have one of these scales as well and at times it can overestimate my body fat by as much as 5-7%. The key is to pick one method and use it consistently, with the same test administrator, for increased accuracy and validity, and for better relative comparison over time.

...but I thought I read that if your bulking you want to be in the 11-12% range as its ideal for building muscle?

Till what BF% you guys think I should bulk before cutting again? And whats win/loose ratio on cutting bulking (ie. how much muscle that I gained during bulking will get lost cause of cutting again?)

The ideal range is going to be based on the individual. I base my bulking on when my measurements begin to show that I am putting on more fat the muscle. For me, it is usually around 14%.

hemants
09-17-2003, 08:39 AM
the other interesting consideration is that if you are trying to get bigger and leaner, you should switch from cutting to bulking at around 10-11%. Getting down to single digit bf is really tricky without losing LBM.