PDA

View Full Version : Help me, Im not getting any of my goals.. getting pretty disapointed



fierce
09-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Ok this may be a little lengthy... cliff notes at the bottom

Backround: Ive been working out for 2 years now, but ive taken a total of around 3 months off for various reasons (injuries/vacations/ect).. So in total ive been working out for around 21 months..

When I first started working out, I weighed around 175 and I benched around 105lbs on the flat barbell press. Im 5'11

Now im 185lbs, and I bench 165x10 175x10 185x6-8 205x2-4

The problem is ive been stuck here for awhile.. around 10 months to be exact.. Back last december I was a lot stronger, but I had also gained weight.. I was benching 215 for my last set, and getting a good 7/8 reps.

I have a skinny mans gut.. Even when I weighed 175 I still had a belly and love handles..

My main goal is to lose weight, and gain some size..but I DONT want to gain muscle while also gaining fat. My metabolism really sucks, and I gain weight really easily..

Ive been eating well, which lets me maintain my weight with working out, and limited cardio (play soccer 1/2 times a week, and will run about 2 miles 2 times a week).

How the hell can I get over this slump, I cant seem to get stronger unless I eat a lot, but then I also get fatter.

My diet usually looks something like this

Breakfast: 3 whole eggs, +2 whites, 1 slice wheat bread, 1 more slice with natty PB and sugar free jelly. 2 slices of NO FAT cheese.

Lunch: I will usually try to make some kind of chicken breast, maybe a tuna sandwhich, or maybe some pasta

Dinner: Looks a lot like lunch :)

Snacks I sometimes eat: Yogurt, Low-fat granola bar, Beef jerky, Peanut butter

I take in 1 or 2 protein shakes a day, and I can usually get in a good 150-200 grams.

My workout routine is fine I think, I switch up the exercises pretty often, and ive even worked out with the WBB2 routine for awhile

Cliffnotes: Cant seem to gain muscle without gaining fat. Havent progressed much at all in the last 8-10 months. HELP!

Manveet
09-16-2003, 10:03 PM
Your diet needs major work. You also gotta make a choice between cutting or bulking, it's next to impossible to add mass and lose fat at the same time. If you are really that concerned about fat gain during a bulk, do a slow controlled bulk (eating clean calories just above maintenace, gaining about .5lb a week)

Some tips to improve diet

1) eat about 1 gram per 1lb bodyweight in protein
2) 15-20% of your total cals should come from EFA's (essential fatty acids). I would even maybe bump that up to 25%
3) fill in the rest of your diet with low GI carbs (brown rice, oats, yams etc..) except for pre and post workout, where you want high GI carbs (dextrose/maltodextrin)

For the this next week, count up your total caloric intake for each day. Check the scale, if you aren't gaining anything, add another 200 cals to your diet, until you see that .5lb gain each week.

bradley
09-17-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by fierce
Backround: Ive been working out for 2 years now, but ive taken a total of around 3 months off for various reasons (injuries/vacations/ect).. So in total ive been working out for around 21 months..

When I first started working out, I weighed around 175 and I benched around 105lbs on the flat barbell press. Im 5'11

Now im 185lbs, and I bench 165x10 175x10 185x6-8 205x2-4

The problem is ive been stuck here for awhile.. around 10 months to be exact.. Back last december I was a lot stronger, but I had also gained weight.. I was benching 215 for my last set, and getting a good 7/8 reps.

I have a skinny mans gut.. Even when I weighed 175 I still had a belly and love handles..

What do you estimate your bf% to be?



My main goal is to lose weight, and gain some size..but I DONT want to gain muscle while also gaining fat. My metabolism really sucks, and I gain weight really easily..


As Manveet stated above, the probability of you gaining muscle while losing fat is slim, and you would be better off focusing on one goal at a time. Just try and increase or decrease (depending on your current goals) your weight in small amounts each week. This should help minimize LBM losses when cutting and minimize fat gain when gainging.

Increase your intake of essential fatty acids, and you can accomplish this by incorporating oily fish, fish oil, flaxseed oil, etc. into your diet. Olive oil is also an excellent source of monounsaturated fat.

Are you consuming any type of pre and/or post workout shake? The addition of some high GI carbs and fast digesting protein would be beneficial as well, which will help refill lost muscle glygogen and increase recovery from your workouts.

fierce
09-17-2003, 06:49 AM
I do take a post workout shake, but then I try to stay away from too many carbs for the rest of the day.

My main goal would be to lose weight, rather than get big.

I also do take 1 or 2 flaxseed oil pills a day..

How much cardio should I be doing? Would eating a lot more clean calories, and then say doing cardio for an hour a day be beneficial?

fierce
09-17-2003, 07:04 AM
Oh yes, and my BF% is around 16%. This is from one of the electronic testers... dont know how accurate they are

mstar
09-17-2003, 07:34 AM
i guess what you want to say is i need to reduce my BF %???
I think bradley can probably say if i am right but u could either do cardio or weights+cardio? dunno which work best but bradley be able to say which is more effective to reduce BF%

bradley
09-17-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by fierce
I do take a post workout shake, but then I try to stay away from too many carbs for the rest of the day.

Taking in carbs around training is ideal IMO, and I see no problem decreasing carbs throughout the remainder of the day, especially if you tend to be more endomorphic.



My main goal would be to lose weight, rather than get big.


In that case, just decrease your calories until you are losing a small amount of weight each week (~1lb.).



I also do take 1 or 2 flaxseed oil pills a day..


That is a start, but flax is not really an ideal source of EFAs, due to the body's ineffeciency in converting ALA to EPA/DHA. Fish oil caps would be a better choice, or you will need to increase you flax consumption considerably, to get a significant amount of EPA/DHA.



How much cardio should I be doing? Would eating a lot more clean calories, and then say doing cardio for an hour a day be beneficial?

I think cardio is beneficial, and I would try and incorporate cardio on a couple of your off days from training. You can do more, but just start out slow and increase it if you feel it is necessary. Also varying the type of cardio would be beneficial as well (HIIT and moderate intensity cardio).

If you are trying to create a calorie deficit there would be no need to increase calories, unless your calories are too low.

bradley
09-17-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by mstar
i guess what you want to say is i need to reduce my BF %???
I think bradley can probably say if i am right but u could either do cardio or weights+cardio? dunno which work best but bradley be able to say which is more effective to reduce BF%

A combination of the two would be the most effective at preserving LBM and decreasing bf.

fierce
09-17-2003, 09:36 AM
How do the EFA's aid in fat loss? I was under the impression they dont at all.

I will finish this bottle of flax seed taking 4 pills a day, then I will get some fish oil

bradley
09-17-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by fierce
How do the EFA's aid in fat loss? I was under the impression they dont at all.

I will finish this bottle of flax seed taking 4 pills a day, then I will get some fish oil

Omega 3 fatty acids are the first fats to be released from fat cells when dieting and this leaves other fats that tend to promote fat storage in the fat cells (saturated fats and omega 6s).

The above is important because of the effects that omega 3s have on gene expression, which basically comes down to the fact that omega 3s support fat burning while decreasing fat storage.


http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/131/4/1129

hemants
09-17-2003, 10:57 AM
I think your progress has been great! Don't be discouraged.

What you are experiencing is probably your muscles adapting to your training protocol and diet.

You must now choose :

1. Get bigger and stronger -> add 200-400 calories per day, change your routine for 6-8 weeks

2. Get lean -> subtract 200-400 calorie per day, try a 6 week maintenance routine where you try to re-do your best recent lifts.

Patience and persistance young grasshopper. Many here would be happy with your strength gain progress :)

fierce
09-17-2003, 11:14 AM
How many flax seed pills a day would you recommend? Ive heard 6 a day, but the back of the bottle says one..

Also, i will try to change up my routine and drop down on my calories. When I was stronger last winter, I felt worse than I did today because I had even bigger love handles and gut..

Thanks for the help and comments everyone

fierce
09-17-2003, 11:18 AM
Another thing, Do you think maybe I should hop on creatine to get over this slump?

I dont care so much as to how much i weigh, just more on the BF%.

NeuroSynapsis
09-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Hey fierce, you on po.com?

fierce
09-17-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by NeuroSynapsis
Hey fierce, you on po.com?
yeah, used to be... I didnt pay to reactive my account though.. the site went down the tubes imo

bradley
09-17-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by fierce
How many flax seed pills a day would you recommend? Ive heard 6 a day, but the back of the bottle says one..

Also, i will try to change up my routine and drop down on my calories. When I was stronger last winter, I felt worse than I did today because I had even bigger love handles and gut..

Thanks for the help and comments everyone


The recommendations that I have seen are 2-3 tablespoons per day, and one tablespoon is ~14g of fat.

The 6g dose is more related to fish oil supplementation, and is lower due to the fact that it supplies EPA/DHA directly to the body.



Another thing, Do you think maybe I should hop on creatine to get over this slump?

I dont care so much as to how much i weigh, just more on the BF%.

Sure, creatine supplementation has various benefits, although I would not expect significant changes. You will gain some weight when you inititially begin creatine supplementation, due to water weight.