PDA

View Full Version : Are soy shakes going to elavate my estogen levels

buffzilla
09-17-2003, 07:20 AM
Hi,

I did a google search on soy protein shakes. It said they elevate estrogen levels, and reduce testosterone. I've been taking soy for a couple of weeks now. I reckon I should stop. Will it make me grow pointy breasts or somthing. Should I take what I read on google with a pinch of salt? If they are so bad why does the government allow people to sell soy shakes (In the UK atleast).

Cheers Boss.

Buffzilla.

drew
09-17-2003, 07:25 AM
Everything I've read is that soy increases estrogen levels. Yes, you can get bitchtits from it.

bradley
09-17-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by drew
Everything I've read is that soy increases estrogen levels. Yes, you can get bitchtits from it.

Can you produce any references from reputable sources, that show soy protein can cause gyno?

I made a post yesterday in the thread below that was relevant to the topic at hand, and I think it is beneficial to get your protein from a variety of sources, including soy.

David
09-17-2003, 08:26 AM
Yes, there is some truth in that, Buffzilla.

You see, soy is both a good and bad source of protein. Allow me to tell you why.

First, the good. Soy might help you lower cholesterol and prevent some forms of cancer. In addition, soy is a wellspring of both glutamine and other amino acids that help build muscle and support the immune system.

Now, for the bad. (And yes I have sources, Bradley! ;) )

Daniel Sheehan, PhD, and Daniel Doerge, also PhD, both from the FDA, said on record that eating soy regularly might cause such health problems as increased risk of breast cancer in women, brain damage in men, and that infants given soy formulas daily may develop infertility problems later in life!
Oh yeah, and soy also contains isoflavonoids that have similar actions to the female hormone estrogen.

:D

hemants
09-17-2003, 08:32 AM
No. You will not get elevated estrogen levels from Soy. If anything, it may actually decrease the impact of estrogen by binding weaker molecules to your estrogen receptors.

But you might from cow's milk actually. (see my post in General health).

P.S. Men have very few esterogen receptors to begin with so I wouldn't worry about it.

buffzilla
09-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys, but Buffzilla is still confused. So many different opinions. I think i'll play it safe. If theres one think that will stop Buffzilla being buff its bitch tits. Man this sucks. Buffzilla is a vegatarian he was relying on that soy.

bradley
09-17-2003, 09:07 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37232

Here was the thread that I forgot to post above.

bradley
09-17-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by TripleP
Daniel Sheehan, PhD, and Daniel Doerge, also PhD, both from the FDA, said on record that eating soy regularly might cause such health problems as increased risk of breast cancer in women, brain damage in men, and that infants given soy formulas daily may develop infertility problems later in life!

I would like to see the studies, and also how much soy they stated would cause these adverse affects.

Oh yeah, and soy also contains isoflavonoids that have similar actions to the female hormone estrogen.

As hemants stated, the weak phytoestrogens that are found in soy are not going to cause gyno.

drew
09-17-2003, 09:15 AM
As per usual, I (and others) have been 0wn3d by Bradley. :bow:

hemants
09-17-2003, 09:39 AM
buffzilla, soy milk, tofu, and veggie meat products (tsp) contain very few isoflavones compared to soy flour and soy concentrate.

So I honestly wouldn't worry about it. If it makes you feel better, I often drink a litre of soy milk a day while bulking and if I had any more male libido, I'd be a threat to society.

http://www.soyfoods.com/nutrition/isoflavoneconcentration.html