PDA

View Full Version : Strength Training for Squats

savagebeast
09-17-2003, 07:32 PM
I would like to increase my leg strength, and I figure that squats would be the best way to do this. What is the best way to increase strength for squats? I don't know much about strength training, but it seems like the two most important parts to a strength program are speed workouts and max effort workouts. I plan on working out 3 days a week, 2 days for max effort and 1 day for speed. Is there some sets and reps scheme I should follow? I'm looking for something like this:

Max Effort Day
Do A sets of B reps with C% of my 1 Rep Max followed by...

Speed Day
(Same Deal)

Do the number of sets and reps and the 1 Rep Max Percentage Change?

So as you can see, I'm kind of lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

In case it matters, or if you're just curious, my 1 Rep Max for squats is probably in the low 300s. I've never maxed out on squat, so I don't know for sure. I've done 285 lbs. for five reps, so I would guess that my 1 Rep Max is around 310-320.

shansen008
09-17-2003, 07:44 PM
Squat heavy, till you feel like blacking out. ;) Then follow the squats with isolation exercises like hammy curls and hack squats for the quads.....once again, HEAVY. Me personally, i always try to explode quickly with the weight im doing so i dont seperate strength and power workouts. I go down slow to work the negative and load the muscle, then explode as fast as i can through the positive. It turns it into a bit of a plyometric exercise. This translates into more real world performance from what ive read. IE: On the playing field a guy that can squat 400 lb. in 2 seconds will likely perform better than someone who can only squat it in 4 seconds....even though their 1RM may be the same.

eatdirt40
09-19-2003, 10:25 AM
squats are the best thing for leg strengh and power..i gotta start doing them

Makaveli_786
09-20-2003, 01:08 PM
Basically there are two exercises that in my opinion could really blow your legs out of the damn water comapred to the competition but they can be quite painful and stressful thats why i recommend you are used to heavy squats before you get into this kind of heat....

There was a book wrote about this kind of training but luckyily i read it free from a bodybuilding site tried and it AWWW LAWD ITS SO ****ING PAINFUL... but man follow it for like 6 weeks and youll have to remind yourself whoose legs youve got..

Load up the bar to what weight you can squat for 8 reps with maximum strenght... get somebody to watch you and do this in a rack.. Slowly start squatting.. your not in a rush.. keep pushing it till you hit 20... dont hesitate fallin on the floor rubbing your damn legs cos i swear i nearly cried it was so damn painful.... I took 30 grams of glutamine and 15 grams of glutamine to stay pain free because i got college and work to go to i cant sit home writing my will... Anyway this worked wonders for me but damn it was so painful it nearly put me off squats...

This second one i made up myself and damn the PAIN IS INSANE but the gains are good... Basically get a weight that you can squat no less more than 6 times but no less than 4 times... your aim is 5 reps with maximum strenght... put everything into the weight to get it up for 5 reps... do this for 3 sets then use half of what you were squatting for 5 reps and squat that weight as many times as you possibly can... again some glutamine would be nice to help you cope with the pain...

Now that I think about it theres also a third way to help you bild your legs... Get in the squat position(wheres your thighs are parallel to the floor) and lock out the rack so when the weight comes down your holding it in the most painful position in a squat... use about 3 times as much weight as you usually do for your normal 1RM squat.

After holding 1000 pounds on your back a 300 pound squat shouldnt seem so difficult ;)