PDA

View Full Version : Refeed Question

donescobar2000
09-18-2003, 07:36 AM
Even if today is a off day and a refeed day for me should i eat over maintenence or just maintence?

BobbyRS
09-18-2003, 08:45 AM
I guess that would depend on the individual. Most increase their calories to around maintenance or slightly above (1.1-1.2*maintenance or increase calories to 16cals/pound and test from there). A personís body fat/leanness should account for how often the individual refeeds.

A good place to start is:

1. For people below 10%, refeeds two times per week.
2. For people within 10-15%, refeed every 6-12 days for 24hrs.
3. For people above 15%, refeeds should probably be kept to no more than once every week to two weeks.

Some guidelines:

1. Try starting the refeed after a training session
2. Protein intake should be kept around 1g/lb bodyweight
3. Keep fat low as high insulin levels will increase dietary fat transport into adipose tissue
4. Try to keep EFA's as the only intentional fat during the reefed
5. Fill the rest of your calories in with low GI/simple carbs
6. Keep in mind that fructose has little to no impact on leptin levels, so adjust carbs/calories accordingly
7. Depending on your bf% try to make it last 24-48 hours for glycogen replenishment and to allow your Leptin level adjust back to normal
8. Refeed frequency should increase as you get leaner, as should the duration of the refeeds
9. You can also supp Zinc and Vitamin E (Zinc deficiencies are highly correlated with low peripheral and central leptin levels, vitamin E in healthy individuals help increase plasma leptin levels)
10. Of course the ultimate rule, not everyone will be alike, so observe changes in your appetite and adjust accordingly

A couple of must read articels:
http://musclemonthly.com/articles/010515/010515-haycock-howz-it-work.htm
http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

bradley
09-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by donescobar2000
Even if today is a off day and a refeed day for me should i eat over maintenence or just maintence?

I would recommend waiting until a workout day to begin refeeding. Training will "prime" your body for the large influx of carbs that are about to come, that is assuming you are refeeding after your workout.

If you begin the refeed before your workout, you should experience increased energy levels, which would be beneficial as well (leg day:) )