PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Say to Two Hours of Cardio

harryhoudini66
09-18-2003, 12:13 PM
I am thinking about doing cardio for one our in the morning and one hour in the evening for about one week only. What would you say to this? How much muscle loss would I have if I did this?

Reinier
09-18-2003, 12:53 PM
You wouldn`t necessarily lose muscle i think...

You have time and energy for that?

JuniorMint6669
09-18-2003, 12:58 PM
How much muscle loss do you want?

I would worry about overtraining, and your physical well being more than muscle loss. I find when I do too much strenuous work, I get very ill.

That said- if you get plenty of pre and post cardio nutrition, as well as sleep (naps + sleeping at night) you may be okay, and not lose much muscle. I dont know how your body responds, so I cant say for sure though.

Scott S
09-18-2003, 02:40 PM
How much are you doing now? If none, you'd be begging for tendonitis with a program like that.

-sin-
09-18-2003, 02:58 PM
I would say..Why? It doesnt make sense to do it for 1 week only then stop. What do you hope to accomplish in that 1 week?

Bruise Brubaker
09-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Even someone who train for a marathon wouldn't do that.

EDIT -> This is something I don't know about so ignore it! ;)

It would be bad for your joints, and is not the ideal for a health or a losing fat point. The only thing it will do is overtrain and you'd probably be very sore.

harryhoudini66
09-18-2003, 03:14 PM
Just this week I started doing 15 minutes of cardio prior to doing weights and then followed with 25 minutes afterwards. I donít want to loose too much muscles mass since I have become quite attached to it, but at the same time since I was weighing in at 245 about five months ago, seeing my weight drop below 200 has become very exciting. I am currently at 198-200 depending on how much food and water I have consumed. I only want to do this for one week. I want to hit 180-185 by the end of December.

unshift
09-18-2003, 05:47 PM
for a week, it's probably not going to make much difference in terms of muscle loss

harryhoudini66
09-18-2003, 05:50 PM
Will my calves go down? I am about to it 18 (1 inch from catching up to you).

Dedicated
09-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Assuming you are running/jogging, injury and shin splints are very likely by increasing cardio at such a rapid pace like that. Not to mention the overall physical stress you are gonna be putting your body through, I think juniormint summed that up pretty well. That would be my worst fear about doing that much cardio. I already know what causes overtraining for me and if I did that much I would overtrain. But you aren't really sure, or else you wouldn't be asking if you should do this much cardio. This is why I think it is a good idea that you try. You need to reach your physical limit at least once so you know how far to push yourself, not just in running but in lifting also. Just make sure to stretch especially if jogging, injury is very likely with an increase in volume like that so quickly and again that should be your biggest concern while trying this. Goodluck.:)

David
09-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66
I am thinking about doing cardio for one our in the morning and one hour in the evening

Let's just say you would pull a houdini on your muscles. ;)

Also, how many pounds do you plan on loosing by doing this for one week only?

harryhoudini66
09-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Three to five.

Meat_Head
09-18-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Magnus Musculus
Even someone who train for a marathon wouldn't do that.

It would be bad for your joints, and is not the ideal for a health or a losing fat point. The only thing it will do is overtrain and you'd probably be very sore.

Don't talk about something you know nothing about. Marathoners frequently run multiple hours per day. In fact, some do as much as 2-5 hours of running EVERY day of the week.

unshift
09-18-2003, 06:31 PM
:withstupi

marathoners just run. they don't really lift... just run. lots of running. LOTS of it.

MixmasterNash
09-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by xMeat_Headx

Don't talk about something you know nothing about. Marathoners frequently run multiple hours per day. In fact, some do as much as 2-5 hours of running EVERY day of the week.

Yeah, but they don't ever go from 0 hours per day to 2. You should swim or bike instead of running, in any case, unless you WANT shin splints.

Meat_Head
09-18-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by MixmasterNash

Yeah, but they don't ever go from 0 hours per day to 2. You should swim or bike instead of running, in any case, unless you WANT shin splints.

Very true...

harryhoudini66
09-18-2003, 08:12 PM
Well, although 45 minutes does not equal 1 hour it technically is not 0.

karkid
09-18-2003, 08:13 PM
yea i would try maybe an hour of running and for the rest throw in a bike

Bryan
09-19-2003, 06:43 AM
my rugby practices are usually 2-3 hours of cardio, and lots of it! hehe I just try to make sure I make up for the lost calories, I'm still gaining every week even though we practice 2-3 nights a week. Just need to keep up on my eating and sleeping(alot of sleep!) ;]

IceRgrrl
09-19-2003, 06:54 AM
The rule of thumb for runners is to increase mileage by no more than 10% per week in order to prevent injuries. Marathon runners build up their mileage slowly over a long period of time.

And one week IS kind of a short experiment...

ElPietro
09-19-2003, 06:57 AM
Why don't you actually say what you are doing for cardio? In all the posts you've made, you haven't even said what you plan on doing. If it's running, then I'd say don't do that much all at once.

If it's low impact stuff, like riding a bike, rowing, or an ellyptical, than there probably isn't that much of a problem doing this.

It's funny how people start getting scared of 2 hours of cardio separated into 1 hour increments, when they've probably spent many a day playing sports for hours on end.

You can start doing whatever you are going to do, since you aren't telling anyone what it is, and if you start feeling too much pain, then you can cut it down or take a day off in between.

harryhoudini66
09-19-2003, 09:20 AM
I do 15-20 minutes on the elliptical.

After weights I do

10 minutes in elliptical, followed by 5 on bike and then 5 on stepper.

I planned on doing 45 minutes in the morning of elliptical and then doing the routine I mentioned above in the evening. It may not even come out to 2 hours.

I agree about the sports. When I practiced Muay Thai, I would technically do cardio for two or three hours. Those sessions were hard and intense.

MixmasterNash
09-19-2003, 11:23 AM
I don't think that it's your lungs that will fail you... I think your shins and joints will, going from no impact stuff like elliptical to repetitive impact (running).

If you've been playing a running sport, then that's a different story.