PDA

View Full Version : Diet over for 2 months but no weight gain



Fenbay
09-18-2003, 12:57 PM
I just can't get over how much the body's setpoint plays into your weight.

I did a very hard keto diet for about 4 weeks and lost about ~10 llbs. Almost all of that weight loss was in the first 2 weeks. Strength dropped like a rock and I had bad muscle cramping after hard workouts. I probably needed more water along with some other minerals. It was quite disenchanting to work so hard and see the scale stay the same for so long after the inital loss.

Anyways point of this post is I'm 8 weeks or so off my diet and eating whatever I want basically, but still keeping protein very high. And I've gained exactly one pound back, while my bench press has gone up another 50+llbs from my previous max before starting my keto.

The weight I'm at now seems to be my body's "happy weight" since I've gained so much extra muscle. Previously my current diet would have resulted in gaining fat without a doubt so I'm at least happy about that, but I feel like even with hormone altering diets like keto etc that my body just has a way of saying screw you I'm happy at this weight, give it your best shot but you aren't losing any more.

Are there any specific techniques to push through a wall during a cut?

bradley
09-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Fenbay
I did a very hard keto diet for about 4 weeks and lost about ~10 llbs. Almost all of that weight loss was in the first 2 weeks. Strength dropped like a rock and I had bad muscle cramping after hard workouts. I probably needed more water along with some other minerals. It was quite disenchanting to work so hard and see the scale stay the same for so long after the inital loss.


Have you considered that you were creating too large of a calorie deficit, which caused your metabolism to slow at a greater rate? If you dropped almost all of the 10lbs. in two weeks, then that would come as quite a shock to your body. By incorporating refeeds and taking time off from dieting every 6-8 weeks you should be able to decrease the probability that this will happen again.



The weight I'm at now seems to be my body's "happy weight" since I've gained so much extra muscle. Previously my current diet would have resulted in gaining fat without a doubt so I'm at least happy about that, but I feel like even with hormone altering diets like keto etc that my body just has a way of saying screw you I'm happy at this weight, give it your best shot but you aren't losing any more.


What is your ~bf%? You should be able to diet down to ~15% without doing anything special, and then once you get sub 15% just begin experimenting with weekly refeeds, which should help keep your metabolism up.

Fenbay
09-18-2003, 02:24 PM
I'm probably sitting at about ~18% now as a rough guess. Need to do the calipers again to be sure.

I started refeeds after the first week of the diet. Wanted a pure 7 days to get deep into keto which I did according to the keto sticks. Problem with the refeeds was after the 2nd refeed I spent the rest of the week getting back down to the weight I had gained back following the refeed. Basically followed that cycle throughout the rest of the diet.

bradley
09-18-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Fenbay
I started refeeds after the first week of the diet. Wanted a pure 7 days to get deep into keto which I did according to the keto sticks. Problem with the refeeds was after the 2nd refeed I spent the rest of the week getting back down to the weight I had gained back following the refeed. Basically followed that cycle throughout the rest of the diet.

How long were the refeeds, how many calories above maintenance, and what did they consist of?

More than likely you were other refeeding for too long, or fat/sugar intake was too high.

Stabber
09-18-2003, 11:35 PM
this is why i think keto sucks a$$. I didnt do the keto thing, the HIIT thing really or the refeed thing. And I still did what I needed to do.

Just eat normal man. Have your carbs for breakfeast and let that be it. You wont need to refeed if you do it half normal. good luck

bradley
09-19-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Stabber
this is why i think keto sucks a$$. I didnt do the keto thing, the HIIT thing really or the refeed thing. And I still did what I needed to do.

Just eat normal man. Have your carbs for breakfeast and let that be it. You wont need to refeed if you do it half normal. good luck

This will work, but the lower your bf% gets the more your body will try to resist the change, and this is when refeeds, etc. will come into play. Granted some people have a lower bf setpoint, which means that they will be able to get to a lower bf easier than someone with a high bf setpoint.

There comes a point when your metabolism will slow to a crawl and muscle loss becomes more of a problem.

Fenbay
09-19-2003, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. As far as refeeds I tried to stick to pure carb as much as possible and not mix in fatty foods with it, but I didn't strictly monitor macro break down.

I tried going keto because of all the hype that once your body jumps into ketosis that it "prefers" to burn fat over carbohydrate and somehow that relates to being LBM sparing. Makes semi-sense in that I assume your body would be more likely to burn muscle to get at the glycogen stores if not burning fat??

I think my next go at it may just involve a normal iso caloric keeping carbs lower than the other 2 macros but not completely cutting them.

bradley
09-19-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Fenbay
I tried going keto because of all the hype that once your body jumps into ketosis that it "prefers" to burn fat over carbohydrate and somehow that relates to being LBM sparing. Makes semi-sense in that I assume your body would be more likely to burn muscle to get at the glycogen stores if not burning fat??


It basically comes down to calorie balance, and making sure you take in adeqate protein and EFAs.



I think my next go at it may just involve a normal iso caloric keeping carbs lower than the other 2 macros but not completely cutting them.

The iso-caloric sounds like a good approach. Have you tried taking in carbs around your workout, which would seem like a more valid approach especially for an ectomorph? Basically take in a few carbs during breakfast, and then carbs pre/post workout, and then the rest of the day stick to protein, fats, and a few carbs from veggies.

Dr X
09-19-2003, 09:40 AM
To me it sounds like you dumped a huge amount of water for the 10#'s of loss and put the water back on when you stopped Keto.

Refeeds are important when cutting, no matter what type diet you do. A short period of time below maintenance and then a couple of days well above maintenance keeps the metabolism operating so you continue to drop weight. I also think it is extremely important to track food when cutting, other wise you eat less than you think so metabolism crashes, or you eat more than you think and actually eat at maintenance, especially as metabolism slows because maintenance level also keeps going down.

bradley
09-19-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Dr X
Refeeds are important when cutting, no matter what type diet you do

Refeeds would only come into play once you get around 15% bf, otherwise they will offer minimal benefits, metabolically speaking.