PDA

View Full Version : What should I eat?

Scade
09-18-2003, 11:41 PM
Here is the problem. I am kinda new to bodybuilding, about a year ago i got into the groove of working out. But then I got into a motorcycle accident and got hurt so i had to stop. So now iam starting back up again but here is my problem. I dont know what to eat, i mean i know i need protein and all but what specific foods should i eat. Could some of you guys give me a few examples of what your meal plan for a day or week consists of. My biggest problem is I always eat the fast food and fatty foods so i never really get down to teh weight i would like to. But any info you guys can give me I appreciate it.

iLUDEd
09-18-2003, 11:45 PM
protein:
steak
chicken
lean beef
tuna
whey protein
egg's

carbs:
vegi's
wholemeal bread
wholemeal pasta

fats:
fish
nuts
omega 3 capsuels..

youll find alot more by using the search function on the top right hand corner of this page.. good luck

bradley
09-19-2003, 02:25 AM
I have posted this in numerous threads, which should point you in the right direction as far as planning a diet.

Welcome to WBB:)

Food choices:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/sho...ht=grocery+list

Here are some general dieting guidelines that might be of some help:
1) 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight

2) 25-30% of daily calories should come from fat (Essential fatty
acids making up most of this total)

3) Fill in the rest of daily calories with low glycemic index carbs, except postworkout which would ideally include high glycemic index carbs along with a quick digesting protein (whey protein).

4) Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and one gallon would be good starting point.

Listed below are some good sources of each macronutrient. This is just a small list and is by no means all inclusive.

protein sources: eggs, chicken, lean beef, dairy, fish

low GI carbs: oats, sweet potatoes, beans, whole wheat bread, vegetables, fruit

fats: nuts, natural peanut butter, oily fish (such as salmon), fish oil, flax oil, olive oil

To find out how many cals you should be eating each day I would slowly decrease cals in small increments until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week (approximately 1lb per week is a good number IMO). You can use www.fitday.com to help you track calories if you like. Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are eating 3000 cals and maintaining your weight then you would need to decrease cals by a small amount (about 200-300). That would put you at 2700 cals for the week. Keep cals at this level for the week and then weigh yourself at the end of the week and see how much weight you have lost. I woud weigh myself at the same time each week to try and ensure the most accurate measurement.

As far as routines go you might want to check out one of the WBB routines on the main page. The following site has a list of exercise illustrations that might be helpful as well www.exrx.net

HobbesAB
09-19-2003, 01:19 PM
"What should I eat" is one of the most often asked questions. Here is a list that I was given that was pretty comprehensive and should give you an idea of where to begin. Please feel free to include additional foods or tips.

Fresh Produce:
Fruit: Apples, Avocados, Bananas, Cantaloupe, Pears, Plums, Grapes, Kiwi, Apricots, Nectarines, Peaches, Berries, Oranges, Grapefruit

Vegetables: Asparagus, Artichokes, Bell peppers (red and green), Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, Carrots, Celery, Corn, Eggplant, Peas, Green beans, Lettuce, Cabbage, Collard Greens, Salad Mix, Spinach, Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Cucumbers, Onions, Green Onions, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Zuchini and other squash, garlic

Condiments
Honey, Horseradish, Low-fat salad dressings, Mustard, Non-fat Mayonnaise, Slasa, Vinegars

Dairy Products/Eggs
Note - Choose low-fat or nonfat only when possible

Cheese, Cottage Cheese, Ricotta cheese, Eggs, Egg substitute, Egg Whites, Light margarine, Milk, Sour Cream, Tofu, Yogurt

Bread
Bagels, English Muffins, Pizza Crust, Rolls, Sourdough Bread, Lowfat Tortillas, Whole-wheat bread, whole-wheat pita bread

General Rule for Bread: Browner is Better

Cereals
Cheerios, Oatmeal, Raisin Bran, Shredded Wheat, Wheat Chex, Other whole-grain cereals

Staples
Peanut Butter, Almonds, Walnuts, Brown Rice, White Rice, Wild Rice, Flour, Bulgurs, Couscous, Wheat Germ, Lentils, Dry Beans, Dry Split Peas, Garlic Powder, Imitation Butter flavoring, Cajun Spices, Mexican Spices, Vanilla flavoring, Sugar-free Sweetener, Canola Oil, Olive Oil, Raisins and other Dried Fruits, Flaxseeds

Canned Goods
Tuna, Salmon, Black Beans, Kidney Beans, Lima Beans, Garbanzo beans, Green beans, Peas, Spinach, Tomatoes, Soup (lowfat and low Na), Broth, Pineapple, Peaches, Pears, Applesauce (unsweetened), Tomato Sauce

Pasta and Sauce
Spaghetti, Macaroni, Noodles, Nonfat Pasta Sauce

Meat/Poultry/Fish
Chicken breast, precooked chicken strips, beef pot roast, round steak, sirloin steak, pork tenderloin, lean ground beef, lean ground turkey, turkey breast fillets, fresh fish fillets (halibut, orange roughy, salmon, shark, red snapper), scallops, venison, canadian-style bacon, leg of lamb, lean ham, lean deli meats

Frozen Foods
Strawberries, blueberries, Peaches, Orange juice, Fruit Juice bars, Asparagus, Broccoli, Soybeans, Other vegetables, Cooked Frozen Shrimp, One-package meals, Healthy frozen dinners

Beverages
Bottled Water, 100% Fruit Juices (orange, apple, grapefruit), Tomato Juice, Diet Soda, Cofee, Tea

Snacks
Whole-wheat pretzels, low-fat chips, popcorn, rice cakes, whole-wheat crackers, sherbert

Supplements
Nutrition bars, protein powders, vitamins/minerals, glutamine, creatine, soy products, thermogenics

russ
12-01-2005, 06:50 PM
just found this with the search... I think that last post should be stickied or added to the sticky ^

D Breyer
12-01-2005, 07:39 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

russ
12-01-2005, 08:12 PM
yes i'm aware of that... this list is great too