PDA

View Full Version : Fish oils

Stally
09-19-2003, 04:56 AM
Im interested in using fish oils to get some EFA in my diet. What do people suggest?

Liquid or tablet form?

How much would be necessary a day to take? Are there times of day that could aid injestion?

Where could I buy in the UK?

At the moment I use flax seed oil but I read somewhere that fish oils are a better source to be taking?

TheGimp
09-19-2003, 05:27 AM
Yes fish oil would be a better source than flax.

I'd imagine oil would be better as you'd probably have to take five of the capsules to get a teaspoons worth, but try to get a flavoured one because of the taste.

Holland and Barrett - http://www.hollandandbarrett.co.uk/ - are a good place to get all kinds of supplements in the UK, also probably online but I don't know any sites myself.

bradley
09-19-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Stally
Liquid or tablet form?

Either one will work just fine, and it really comes down to personal preference.

How much would be necessary a day to take? Are there times of day that could aid injestion?

I would recommend taking in ~3g of EPA/DHA (combined amount) each day, and you can take the fish oil at any time of the day. Taking it with carbs and/or fat will decrease the possibility that the fish oil will be oxidized for energy, but other than that it really does not matter what time of the day you take the supplement.

At the moment I use flax seed oil but I read somewhere that fish oils are a better source to be taking?

Fish oil would be a better source since it supplies the body with EPA/DHA directly, where as flaxseed oil contains ALA which has to be converted to EPA/DHA in the body. The conversion of ALA to EPA/DHA is not an effecient process, and can be affected by various things, such as caffeine intake.

Stabber
09-19-2003, 08:49 AM
Buy some fish oil caps from any store. Pop them 3 times a day

Stally
09-19-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Stabber
Buy some fish oil caps from any store. Pop them 3 times a day

3 1000mg tablets would not give me enough epa/dha is this correct?

JuniorMint6669
09-19-2003, 01:01 PM
You will have to check the label. Different brands have different amounts of epa/dha in them.

bradley
09-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Stally

3 1000mg tablets would not give me enough epa/dha is this correct?

It would depend on the amount of EPA/DHA, but probably not. Most fish oil caps are 30% EPA/DHA, so 3 caps would only equal 900mg EPA/DHA. I would recommend 10 1000mg caps per day, for a total of 3g EPA/DHA.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2141757&dopt=Abstract