PDA

View Full Version : Bodyfat percentage and LBM

Bryan
09-19-2003, 06:50 AM
I heard that the lower you're bodyfat you gain an increased amount of of LBM vs Fat. Could anybody shed some light on this subject?(ps not sure which thread to post this in)

jinxx
09-19-2003, 08:54 AM
When you BF% gets lower, you'll get a higher FFM (fat free mass)

Makes sense to me?

Bryan
09-19-2003, 09:17 AM
yah I know that as your bf% drops you're ffm increases. But that wasnt my question, maybe I should reword it.

The lower your bodyfat is, the more muscle you're able to gain vs fat while bulking.

So lets say person A has 10% bf and person B has 13% bf. They both bulk for 10 weeks and gain 10lbs, person A will gain 7lbs of muscle and 3lbs of fat, while person B will gain 5lbs of muscle and 5lbs of fat. Is this correct? logically speaking.

jinxx
09-19-2003, 09:24 AM
Ah ok I see.

Hmm, not too sure actually. I don't think it matters but better wait for Bradley to come in though. :D

Dr X
09-19-2003, 09:25 AM
The answer is yes and no. The gaining of less body fat while bulking is the result of more muscle and muscle burning energy so it is not stored as fat. In the example if both people, A&B are both the same exact weight then person A with the lower body fat has the higher muscle mass so they will gain less fat per pound of increase, up to a point. The other major ingredient of course would be nutrition and usually the person with the lower body fat% also has the cleaner diet so probably eats cleaner even while bulking.

bradley
09-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Bryan
I heard that the lower you're bodyfat you gain an increased amount of of LBM vs Fat. Could anybody shed some light on this subject?(ps not sure which thread to post this in)

I do not think it would be wise to start trying to gain LBM after dieting down well below your setpoint, due to hormone levels and decreased metabolic rate that accompany dieting down to a low bf%.

Also trying to increase LBM from a relatively high bf% would be counterproductive as well, due to the effects of bf% on insulin sensitivity. Another problem with trying to gain while at a higher bf%, is the fact that most of the conversion of testosterone to estrogen occurs in the fat cells.

This is all relative to the person in question, and bf setpoint would come into play. If you go too far below your setpoint you would have decreased hormone levels, and if you go too far above your setpoint you would have increased insulin resistance.

Bryan
09-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Im guessing im around my setpoint atm, Im not fat but any means, overall im pretty lean I just have some fat on my abs, i can still see them flexed tho, so I'm guessing im in the 12% range, now Ive just got back into lifting with a new view on everything(thats another thread). I started off at 147lbs, now I'm up to 167lbs, I'm gonna wait until I top 170lbs then do a cut down to 8-9% if possible but only after rugby is over. I seemed to have gained alot of LBM over the summer while staying at a pretty static bf%. I guess its just that I was naturally filling out, but now that I'm hitting the weights again the weight seems to be going on pretty good still.